- •Past and, more so, current smoking confers greater risk for MI than obesity.
- •Obesity was associated with increased risk of MI for never smokers, not for past or current smokers.
- •Association of current smoking with MI was more pronounced for the 40–54 than the 55–74 year age groups.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Smoking and mortality—beyond established causes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 631-640
Health at a Glance 2013, OECD indicators. http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/Health-at-a-Glance-2013.pdf. [Accessed January 21, 2015].
- Obesity and severe obesity forecasts through 2030.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 563-570
The Israel National Quality Measures Program Report 2010-2012. http://www.israelhpr.org.il/e/ [accessed January 25, 2015].
- Metabolic mediators of the effects of body-mass index, overweight, and obesity on coronary heart disease and stroke: a pooled analysis of 97 prospective cohorts with 1·8 million participants.Lancet. 2014; 383: 970-983
- Body mass index and incident hospitalisation for cardiovascular disease in 158,546 participants from the 45 and Up Study.Int J Obes (Lond). 2014; 38: 848-856
- Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): case-control study.Lancet. 2004; 364: 937-952
- Predicting the 30-year risk of cardiovascular disease: the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 2009; 119: 3078-3084
- Smoking, alcohol consumption, physical activity, and family history and the risks of acute myocardial infarction and unstable angina pectoris: a prospective cohort study.BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2011; 11: 13
- Smoking habits and the risk of non-fatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rica.Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2011; 18: 467-474
- Active and passive smoking and the risk of myocardial infarction in 24,968 men and women during 11 year of follow-up: the Tromsø Study.Eur J Epidemiol. 2013; 28: 659-667
- A comparison of risk factors for mortality from heart failure in Asian and non-Asian populations: an overview of individual participant data from 32 prospective cohorts from the Asia-Pacific Region.BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2014; 14: 61
The R Project for Statistical Computing. http://www.R-project.org. [Accessed January 21, 2015].
- The influence of smoking and impaired glucose homoeostasis on the outcome in patients presenting with an acute coronary syndrome: a cross-sectional study.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e005077
- Obesity, behavioral lifestyle factors, and risk of acute coronary events.Circulation. 2008; 117: 3062-3069
- Study design, exposure variables, and socioeconomic determinants of participation in Diet, Cancer and Health: a population-based prospective cohort study of 57,053 men and women in Denmark.Scand J Public Health. 2007; 35: 432-441
- Are metabolically healthy overweight and obesity benign conditions? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 758-769
- Risk of myocardial infarction and heart failure among metabolically healthy but obese individuals: HUNT (Nord-Trøndelag Health Study), Norway.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 1071-1078
- Metabolically healthy obesity and the risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes: the Whitehall II Cohort Study.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 551-559
- Consequences of obesity and weight loss: a devil's advocate position.Obes Rev. 2015; 16: 77-87
- Separate and combined associations of body-mass index and abdominal adiposity with cardiovascular disease: collaborative analysis of 58 prospective studies.Lancet. 2011; 377
- Studies in the distribution of body fat. III. Effects of cigarette smoking.JAMA. 1989; 261: 1169-1173
- Impact of chronic cigarette smoking on body composition and fuel metabolism.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1995; 80: 2181-2185
- Ketone body metabolism and cardiovascular disease.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013; 304: H1060-H1076
- Obesity and the risk of myocardial infarction in 27,000 participants from 52 countries: a case-control study.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1640-1649
- Cigarette smoking induces overexpression of a fat-depleting gene AZGP1 in the human.Chest. 2009; 135: 1197-1208
- Effects of smoking cessation on body composition in postmenopausal women.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2010; 19: 1651-1657
- Mechanisms of coronary thrombosis in cigarette smoke exposure.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013; 33: 1460-1467
- Heavy and light cigarette smokers have similar dysfunction of endothelial vasoregulatory activity: an in vivo and in vitro correlation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39: 1758-1763
- Cigarette smoking exposure and heart failure risk in older adults: the Health, Aging, and Body Composition Study.Am Heart J. 2012; 164: 236-242
- Passive smoking and impaired endothelium-dependent arterial dilatation in healthy young adults.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 150-154