- •Periodontitis is considered to be a complication of diabetes mellitus.
- •Diabetologist are currently not informed on their patients' oral health status.
- •An oral health questionnaire (OHQ) can be used for the exchange of information.
- •The OHQ is a valuable tool for screening of undiagnosed periodontitis.
- •In clinical practice, however, the transfer of information is far from optimal.
Abbreviations:ADA (American Dental Association), OHQ(s) (oral health questionnaire(s)), PSI (periodontal screening index)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Global status report on noncommunicable diseases.World Health Organization, Geneva2012 ([http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs312/en/, last accessed: 28-04-2015])
- Standards of medical care in diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: S1-S94
- The NHG guideline diabetes mellitus type 2.Huisarts Wet. 2013; 56: 512-525
- Periodontitis and diabetes: a two-way relationship.Diabetologia. Jan 2012; 55: 21-31
- Effect of periodontal treatment on glycemic control of diabetic patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. Feb 2010; 33: 421-427
- Periodontal disease: the sixth complication of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. Jan 1993; 16: 329-334
- Diabetes mellitus and periodontitis: a tale of two common interrelated diseases.Nat Rev Endocrinol. Dec 2011; 7: 738-748
- Identification of unrecognized diabetes and pre-diabetes in a dental setting.J Dent Res. Jul 2011; 90: 855-860
- The dental office visit as a potential opportunity for diabetes screening: an analysis using NHANES 2003–2004 data.J Public Health Dent. 2010; 70: 156-162
- Periodontal diseases.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1809-1820
- Position paper: epidemiology of periodontal diseases.J Periodontol. Aug 2005; 76: 1406-1419
- Has the prevalence of periodontitis changed during the last 30 years?.J Clin Periodontol. Sep 2008; 35: 338-345
- Knowledge and awareness about diabetes and periodontal health among Jordanians.J Diabetes Complications. Nov 2010; 24: 409-414
- Type 2 diabetes and risk for periodontal disease: a role for dental health awareness.J Clin Periodontol. Jun 2006; 33: 408-414
- Periodontitis in diabetics: is collaboration between physicians and dentists needed?.Dis Mon. Apr 2011; 57: 206-213
- The Dutch periodontal screening index validation and its application in The Netherlands.J Clin Periodontol. Dec 2009; 36: 1018-1024
- Skin autofluorescence and complications of diabetes: does ethnic background or skin color matter?.Diabetes Technol Ther. Feb 2015; 17: 88-95
- Dentists' attitudes toward chairside screening for medical conditions.J Am Dent Assoc. Jan 2010; 141: 52-62
- Dentists' attitudes and practices related to diabetes in the dental setting.J Public Health Dent. 2010; 70: 108-114
- Periodontal disease: associations with diabetes, glycemic control and complications.Oral Dis. Apr 2008; 14: 191-203
- Periodontal status of diabetics compared with nondiabetics: a meta-analysis.J Diabetes Complications. Jan 2006; 20: 59-68
- Effects of diabetes mellitus on periodontal and peri-implant conditions: update on associations and risks.J Clin Periodontol. Sep 2008; 35: 398-409
- Medical status and complications in relation to periodontal disease experience in insulin-dependent diabetics.J Clin Periodontol. Mar 1996; 23: 194-202
- High density lipoproteins in the intersection of diabetes mellitus, inflammation and cardiovascular disease.Curr Opin Lipidol. Jun 2004; 15: 269-278
- Periodontal inflamed surface area: quantifying inflammatory burden.J Clin Periodontol. Aug 2008; 35: 668-673