- •The incidence of coronary artery disease in younger subjects is increasing in China.
- •Young adults, especially males, have faced increasing psychological stress in China.
- •Perceived stress is associated with activation of the sympathetic nervous system.
- •Perceived stress is a risk factor for coronary artery disease in young Chinese males.
Background and purpose
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Global perspective on acute coronary syndrome: a burden on the young and poor.Circ Res. 2014; 114: 1959-1975
- Plasma oxidized low-density lipoprotein is an independent risk factor in young patients with coronary artery disease.Dis Markers. 2011; 31: 295-301
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in young patients with acute MI: does the Framingham Risk Score underestimate cardiovascular risk in this population?.Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2006; 3: 103-107
- Cardiovascular risk factors in young adults: a literature review.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1097/JCN.0000000000000150
- Psychosocial risk factors for coronary heart disease.Med J Aust. 2013; 199: 179-180
- Perceived stress is associated with incident coronary heart disease and all-cause mortality in low- but not high-income participants in the Reasons for Geographic and Racial Differences in Stroke study.J Am Heart Assoc. 2013; 2: e447
- Meta-analysis of perceived stress and its association with incident coronary heart disease.Am J Cardiol. 2012; 110: 1711-1716
- Psychosocial stress and atherosclerosis: family and work stress accelerate progression of coronary disease in women. The Stockholm Female Coronary Angiography Study.J Intern Med. 2007; 261: 245-254
- Psychological factors and subclinical atherosclerosis in postmenopausal Chinese women in Hong Kong.Maturitas. 2010; 67: 186-191
- Psychological stress and cardiovascular disease: empirical demonstration of bias in a prospective observational study of Scottish men.BMJ. 2002; 324: 1247-1251
- Perceived stress and risk of ischemic heart disease: causation or bias?.Epidemiology. 2006; 17: 391-397
- Poor sleep quality, stress status, and sympathetic nervous system activation in nondipping hypertension.Blood Press Monit. 2011; 16: 117-123
- Chronic kidney disease, prevalence of premature cardiovascular disease, and relationship to short-term mortality.Am Heart J. 2008; 156: 277-283
- Cardiac computed tomography and myocardial perfusion scintigraphy for risk stratification in asymptomatic individuals without known cardiovascular disease: a position statement of the Working Group on Nuclear Cardiology and Cardiac CT of the European Society of Cardiology.Eur Heart J. 2011; 32 (1986-1993, 93a, 93b.)
- Can CT angiography replace catheter coronary angiography?.EuroIntervention. 2010; 6: G65-G71
- Three versions of Perceived Stress Scale: validation in a sample of Chinese cardiac patients who smoke.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 513
- Patterns and correlates of stress among rural Chinese males: a four-region study.Public Health. 2009; 123: 694-698
- Hyperhomocysteinemia is an independent risk factor in young patients with coronary artery disease in southern China.Herz. 2013; 38: 779-784
- Angiotensin II plays an important role in maintaining blood pressure in postmenopausal women receiving hormone replacement therapy.Am J Hypertens. 2005; 18: 1340-1346
- The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: the JNC 7 report.JAMA. 2003; 289: 2560-2572
- Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: S5-S20
- Joint Committee for Developing Chinese guidelines on Prevention and Treatment of Dyslipidemia in Adults. [Chinese guidelines on prevention and treatment of dyslipidemia in adults].Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi. 2007; 35: 390-419
- Predictive values of body mass index and waist circumference to risk factors of related diseases in Chinese adult population.Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2002; 23: 5-10
- Modified glomerular filtration rate estimating equation for Chinese patients with chronic kidney disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006; 17: 2937-2944
- Impact of psychological factors on the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease and implications for therapy.Circulation. 1999; 99: 2192-2217
- Stress and lipoprotein metabolism: modulators and mechanisms.Metabolism. 1993; 42: 3-15
- Exaggerated blood pressure responses during mental stress are prospectively related to enhanced carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged Finnish men.Circulation. 2004; 110: 2198-2203
- Delayed blood pressure recovery after psychological stress is associated with carotid intima-media thickness: Whitehall psychobiology study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006; 26: 2547-2551
- Stress, inflammation and cardiovascular disease.J Psychosom Res. 2002; 52: 1-23
- Mental stress induces transient endothelial dysfunction in humans.Circulation. 2000; 102: 2473-2478
- Association of a serotonin transporter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) with depression, perceived stress, and norepinephrine in patients with coronary disease: the Heart and Soul Study.Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164: 1379-1384
- Panic disorder, anxiety, and cardiovascular diseases.Clin Neuropsychiatry. 2014; 11: 130-144
- An epidemiological study on stress among urban residents in social transition period.Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2003; 24: 760-764
- The benefits of interventions for work-related stress.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 270-276