- •e-Health strategies can improve the performance of health systems.
- •Medical teleconsultation is a component of the e-Health strategies.
- •Medical teleconsultation to general practitioners supports internal medicine case solving.
- •Medical teleconsultation reduces the medical error vulnerability of the patient.
- •Medical teleconsultation on a large scale may be supportive to the health system.
Abbreviations:GP (General practitioner), ICT (Information and communication technologies), MEV (Medical error vulnerability), MT (Medical teleconsultation), WHO (World Health Organization), ITU (International Technology Unit)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Health system: improving performance.(Available at:)
Evans DB, Tandon A, Murray CJL Lauer JA. The comparative efficiency of National Health Systems in producing health. An analysis of 191 countries. GPE Discussion Paper Series. No. 29. EIP/GPE/EQC World Health Organization.
- Bloomberg ranks the world's most efficient health care systems.(Available at:)http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2013/08/28/bloomberg-ranks-the-worlds-most-efficient-health-care-systemsDate: 2013
- A framework for assessing the performance of health systems.Bull World Health Organ. 2000; 78: 717-731
- Quality indicators for continuity and coordination of care in vulnerable elders.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007 Oct; 55: S285-S292
- National e-Health strategy toolkit.(Available at:)
Panamerican Health Organization Brazil Representation. Aplicação das linhas guias da OMS e ITU "Estratégia Nacional de e-Saúde”. Experiência de 14 Países. Available at: http://youtu.be/a5A1xyRoDy0.
- Linee guida del garante in tema di fascicolo sanitaria elettronico (Fse) e di dossier sanitario.(Available at:)
Ministero della Salute. Telemedicina, line di indirizzo nazionali. Available at: http:// www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_pubblicazioni_2129_allegato.pdf.
- When and how is medical teleconsultation to doctors practicing in remote areas of developing countries convenient and reliable? About eight clinical cases.Recenti Prog Med. 2004 Jan; 95: 5-10
Panamerican Health Organization Brazil Representation. Telemedicina nos traumas por acidentes de motocicleta. Available at: http://youtu.be/C8iIsvlTq7A.
- Churchill's pocketbook of differential diagnosis.(Edited by)3rd ed. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2009
- Differenzial diagnose innere medizin.(Edited by)in: 7th ed. CIC International, 2004
- L'ABC del metodo clinico.Elsevier SRL editors, 2011
- The medical history: a suggested technic for internists and general practitioners.Ann Intern Med. 1947; 27: 925-935
- A preliminary taxonomy of medical errors in family practice.Qual Saf Health Care. 2002 Sep; 11: 233-238
- Subjective probability. A judgment of representativness.Cogn Psychol. 1972; 3: 430
- C. (1988). Outcome bias in decision evaluation.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1988; 54: 569-579
- The essential role of generalists in health care systems.Ann Intern Med. 2005 Apr 19; 142: 691-699
- Remote working: survey of attitudes to eHealth of doctors and nurses in rural general practices in the United Kingdom.Fam Pract. 2005 Feb; 22 (Epub 2005 Jan 10): 2-7
- Mitigating error vulnerability at the transition of care through the use of health information technology applications.J Med Syst. 2012 Dec; 36 (Epub 2012 Apr 18): 3825-3831
- The seamless transfer-of-care protocol: a randomized controlled trial assessing the efficacy of an electronic transfer-of-care communication tool.BMC Health Serv Res. Nov 2012; 21: 414
- Implementation of a computerized patient handoff application.Annu Symp Proc. 2013; 2013: 1395-1400
- Virtual visits — confronting the challenges of telemedicine.N Eng J Med. Apr. 2015; 372: 1684-1685
- Diagnostic efficiency on digital snapshots of the standard radiology imaging.Recenti Prog Med. 2004; 95: 566-569
- Pooled assessment of computed tomography interpretation by vascular neurologists in the STRokE DOC telestroke network.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. Mar. 2014; 23: 511-515
- Telemedical care: feasibility and perception of the patients and physicians: a survey-based acceptance analysis of the Telemedical Interventional Monitoring in Heart Failure (TIM-HF) trial.Eur J Prev Cardiol. Jun. 2013; 20: 18-24
- Accuracy of the cytopathological telediagnosis of palpable limphoadenopathies. A study design simulating the diagnostic support from remote access to health workers in the developing countries.Recenti Prog Med. May. 2005; 96: 226-230
- A clinical evaluation of four alternative telemedicine systems.Behav Sci. Jan. 1977; 22: 12-21
- The telehealth network of the Americas and its role in primary health care.Rev Panam Salud Publica. Jun. 2014; 35: 442-445
- Telemedicine in primary health care: the road ahead.Int J Prev Med. Mar 2013; 4: 377-378
- State of the art in telemedicine — concepts, management, monitoring and evaluation of the telemedicine programme in Alentejo (Portugal).Stud Health Technol Inform. 2012; 179: 29-37
- Virtual polyclinic-consultant health service for rural areas and islands.Acta Med Croatica. 2005; 59: 169-178
Panamerican Health Organization Brazil Representation. Teleconsultoria e telessaúde na atenção básica. Available at: http://youtu.be/sqO5MOrep64.
Health Consumer Powerhouse. Euro Health Consumer Index 2014 Report. Available at: http://www.healthpowerhouse.com/files/EHCI_2014/EHCI_2014_report.pdf.
- Virtual outreach project group. Design and performance of a multi-centre randomised controlled trial and economic evaluation of joint tele-consultations.BMC Fam Pract. Jan 2002; 11 ([Epub head of print, 2002 Jan 11]): 1
- Doze Minutos para conhecer o projeto e-Saúde no Brasil.(Available at:)http://youtu.be/XBxFUzfErTUDate: March 2013
- Coordinating patient care services in regional health systems: the challenge of clinical integration.Hosp Health Serv Adm. Winter 1993; 38: 491
- Hospital-based medication reconciliation practices.Syst Rev Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1057-1069
- Medication reconciliation during transitions of care as a patient safety strategy.Syste Rev Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 397-403