- •CD was more likely in hypothyroid patients requiring escalated levothyroxine.
- •CD prevalence increased directly with daily levothyroxine dose (range 1.8%–12.5%).
- •Patients requiring ≥125 mcg/day of levothyroxine had a CD prevalence of 5.6%.
- •A threshold levothyroxine dose of ≥125 mcg/day should stimulate CD testing.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Prevalence of celiac disease in at-risk and not at-risk groups in the United States.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 286-292
- Increasing incidence of celiac disease in a North American population.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 818-824
- Coeliac disease.BMJ. Mar. 3 2014; 348g1561
- How many hospital visits does it take before celiac sprue is diagnosed?.J Clin Gastroenterol. 1996; 23: 21-23
- Recent advances in coeliac disease.Gut. 2006; 55: 1037-1046
- Osteopenia in patients with clinically silent coeliac disease warrants screening.Lancet. 1999; 354: 744-745
- Effect of a gluten free diet on osteopenia in adults with newly diagnosed coeliac disease.Gut. 1996; 39: 180-184
- Female fertility, obstetric and gynaecologic history in coeliac disease. A case control study.Digestion. 1994; 55: 243-246
- Primary gastrointestinal lymphomas.. 1996; 4: 54-64
- Coeliac disease and type 1 diabetes mellitus-the case for screening.Diabet Med. 2001; 18: 169-177
- Should all children be screened for celiac disease?.Gastroenterology. 2005; 128: S98-S103
- Celiac disease.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 1731-1743
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Institute technical review on the diagnosis and management of celiac disease.Gastroenterology. 2006; 131: 1981-2002
- Celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease.Clin Med Res. 2007; 5: 184-192
- Prevalence and relative risk of other autoimmune diseases in subjects with autoimmune thyroid disease.Am J Med. 2010; 123 ([183.e1-183.e9])
- Guidelines for the management of iron deficiency anaemia.Gut. 2011; 60: 1309-1316
- Subclinical coeliac disease is a frequent cause of iron-deficiency anaemia.Scand J Gastroenterol. 1995; 30: 153-156
- A prospective study of the prevalence of undiagnosed coeliac disease in laboratory defined iron and folate deficiency.J Clin Pathol. 2002; 55: 754-757
- A controlled, prospective screening study of celiac disease presenting as iron deficiency anemia.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002; 35: 228-233
- Improving the diagnosis of coeliac disease in anaemic women.Br J Hematol. 2000; 111: 898-901
- The difficult patient: drug interaction and the influence of concomitant diseases on treatment of hypothyroidism.Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2010; 54: 435-442
- Gluten-induced enteropathy (coeliac disease) revealed by resistance to treatment with levothyroxine and alfacalcidol in a sixty-eight-year-old patient: a case report.Thyroid. 2002; 12: 633-636
- Celiac disease presenting as resistant hypothyroidism.Thyroid. 2005; 15: 386-388
- Thyroxine malabsorption in a patient with type 1 diabetes and celiac disease.Endocr Pract. 2005; 11: 203-204
- Occurrence of overt celiac disease in the elderly following total thyroidectomy.J Endocrinol Invest. 2006; 29: 831-833
- Celiac disease and hypothyroidism.Am J Med. 2012; 125: 278-282
- Reliability and validity of the gastrointestinal symptom rating scale in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease.Qual Life Res. 1998; 7: 75-83
- Predictors of persistent symptoms and reduced quality of life in treated coeliac disease patients: a large cross-sectional study.BMC Gastroenterol. 2013; 13: 75
- Is coeliac disease screening in risk groups justified? A fourteen-year follow-up with special focus on compliance and quality of life.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2005; 22: 317-324
- Atypical celiac disease as cause of increased need for thyroxine: a systematic study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 97: E419-E422
- The thyroid and the gut.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2010; 44: 402-406
- Association between hypothyroidism and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 4180-4184
- Thyroid-related autoantibodies and celiac disease: a role for a gluten-free diet?.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002; 35: 245-248
- Spectrum of gluten-sensitive enteropathy in first-degree relatives of patients with coeliac disease: clinical relevance of lymphocytic enteritis.Gut. 2006; 55: 1739-1745
- Lymphocytic duodenosis in the spectrum of celiac disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2009; 104: 142-148
- Natural history of celiac disease autoimmunity in a USA cohort followed since 1974.Ann Med. 2010; 42: 530-538
- Coeliac disease in Dutch patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and vice versa.World J Gastroenterol. 2007; 13: 1715-1722
- Gluten-dependent diabetes-related and thyroid-related autoantibodies in patients with celiac disease.J Pediatr. 2000; 137: 263-265
- Duration of exposure to gluten and risk for autoimmune disorders in patients with celiac disease.Gastroenterology. 1999; 117: 297-303
- Screening for celiac disease in average-risk and high-risk populations.Ther Adv Gastroenterol. 2012; 5: 37-47
☆☆Financial support: The University of Vermont Medical Center Department of Internal Medicine.