- •Use of NSAIDs is associated with a higher risk of heart failure exacerbation.
- •This excess risk is about 40% among conventional NSAID and celecoxib users.
- •The highest risk is observed among rofecoxib users.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Frequency of use of acetaminophen, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and aspirin in US women.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2002; 11: 687-693
- Individual non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of acute kidney injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.Eur J Intern Med. 2015; 26: 285-291
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of venous thromboembolism: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Rheumatology. 2015; 54: 736-742
- Upper gastrointestinal tolerability of celecoxib, a COX-2 specific inhibitor, compared to naproxen and placebo.J Rheumatol. 2000; 27: 1876-1883
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: adverse effects and their prevention.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2010; 39: 294-312
- Cardiovascular events associated with rofecoxib in a colorectal adenoma chemoprevention trial.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1092-1102
- Cardiovascular risk and inhibition of cyclooxygenase: a systematic review of the observational studies of selective and nonselective inhibitors of cyclooxygenase 2.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1633-1644
- Antagonistic effect of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on frusemide-induced diuresis in cardiac failure.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1981; 283: 714
- Congestive heart failure due to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the elderly.Age Ageing. 1988; 17: 8-16
- Limited search strategies were effective in finding relevant nonrandomized studies.J Clin Epidemiol. 2006; 59: 1303-1311
- Critical evaluation of the Newcastle–Ottawa scale for the assessment of the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses.Eur J Epidemiol. 2010; 25: 603-605
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trial. 1986; 7: 177-188
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Consumption of NSAIDs and the development of congestive heart failure in elderly patients: an unrecognized public health problem.Arch. Intern. Med. 2000; 160: 777-784
- Use of non-steroidal ant-inflammatory drugs and risk of incident myocardial infarction and heart failure, and all-cause mortality in the Australian veteran community.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 69: 689-700
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs as a trigger of clinical heart failure.Epidemiology. 2003; 14: 240-246
- Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors and cardiovascular risk in nation-wide cohort study after the withdrawal of rofecoxib.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 1928-1933
- NSAID use and association with cardiovascular outcomes in outpatients with stable atherothrombotic disease.Am J Med. 2014; 127: 53-60
- Selective COX-2 inhibitors, NSAIDs and congestive heart failure: differences between new and recurrent cases.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2008; 65: 927-934
- Association between non-steroid antiinflammatory drugs intake and decompensation of heart failure.Med Clin (Barc). 2003; 120: 658-660
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of first hospital admission for heart failure in the general population.Heart. 2006; 92: 1610-1615
- Risk of congestive heart failure with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs and selective cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitors: a class effect?.Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 57: 516-523
- Association of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with first occurrence of heart failure and with relapsing heart failure. The Rotterdam study..Arch Int Med. 2002; 162: 265-270
- Cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors versus non-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and congestive heart failure outcomes in elderly patients: a population-based cohort study.Lancet. 2004; 363: 1751-1756
- Increased mortality and cardiovascular morbidity associated with use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in chronic heart failure.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 141-149
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2012 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2012; 125: e2-e220
- What is the “safest” non-steroidal ani-inflammatory drugs?.Am Med J. 2012; 3: 115-123
- Adverse cardiovascular effects of NSAIDs: driven by blood pressure, or edema?.Ther Adv Cardiovasc Dis. 2008; 2: 53-66
- Effects of specific COX-2 inhibition on renin release and renal and systemic prostanoid synthesis in healthy volunteers.Kidney Int. 2005; 68: 2197-2207
- Cardiovascular risk, hypertension, and NSAIDs.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2007; 9: 36-43
- Recall bias in epidemiologic studies.J Clin Epidemiol. 1990; 43: 87-91
- Confounding by indication in epidemiologic studies of commonly used analgesics.Am J Ther. 2002; 9: 199-205