- •We describe a disease severity scoring system for adult and pediatric NTDT patients.
- •Consensus of expert opinion was used to establish the scoring system.
- •20 parameters were selected for inclusion with an extra six for pediatric patients.
- •The system may be developed into a practical tool for widespread clinical use.
Patients with non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia (NTDT) present with a spectrum of disease severities. Since there are multiple pathophysiologies in such patients, tailoring treatment remains essential. Therefore, one simple, reliable tool would be beneficial to assess disease severity and tailor therapy, particularly for internal medicine specialists who may treat a variety of NTDT patients with a multitude of complications. This would allow for standardization of assessments leading to timely interventions and prevention of complications.
A working group of NTDT experts was formed to develop a new disease severity scoring system for adult and pediatric patients with NTDT, based on parameters considered to be most pertinent in defining disease severity.
20 parameters were selected for inclusion in the disease severity scoring system. An additional six parameters, largely related to growth and development, were selected specifically for pediatric patients (≤16 years of age). Consensus of expert opinion was used to establish the selected methods of assessment for each parameter, based on feasibility and availability of technology, cost containment, and avoidance of patient risk.
We propose that this new disease severity scoring system for adult and pediatric NTDT patients could be developed into a practical tool for widespread clinical use.
Abbreviations:ALT (alanine aminotransferase), dw (dry weight), ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay), eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate), Hb (hemoglobin), LIC (liver iron concentration), LVEF (left ventricular ejection fraction), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), N/A (not available), MCID (minimum clinically important difference), NTDT (non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia), NYHA (New York Heart Association), PHT (pulmonary hypertension), QoL (quality of life), RNA (ribonucleic acid), SF (serum ferritin), TRV (tricuspid regurgitation jet velocity), ULN (upper limit of normal)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Beta-thalassemia.Genet Med. 2010; 12: 61-76
- Alpha-thalassaemia.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2010; 5: 13
- Alpha and beta thalassemia.Am Fam Physician. 2009; 80: 339-344
- Advances in the treatment of alpha-thalassemia.Blood Rev. 2012; 26: S31-S34
- Thalassemia intermedia.Haematologica. 1995; 80: 58-68
- Recent advances in the molecular understanding of non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia.Blood Rev. 2012; 26: S7-S11
- The definition and epidemiology of non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia.Blood Rev. 2012; 26: S3-S6
- Newborn screening for hemoglobinopathies in California.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2009; 52: 486-490
- Beta-thalassemia.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2010; 5: 11
- Heterogeneity of hemoglobin H disease in childhood.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 710-718
- Clinical features and molecular analysis in Thai patients with HbH disease.Ann Hematol. 2009; 88: 1185-1192
- Hemoglobin E syndromes.Hematol Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2007; : 79-83
- Inherited haemoglobin disorders: an increasing global health problem.Bull World Health Organ. 2001; 79: 704-712
- β-thalassemia intermedia: a clinical perspective.Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2012; 2a013482
- Non-transfusion-dependent thalassemias.Haematologica. 2013; 98: 833-844
- Optimal management of β-thalassaemia intermedia.Br J Haematol. 2011; 152: 512-523
- Levels of growth differentiation factor-15 are high and correlate with clinical severity in transfusion-independent patients with beta thalassemia intermedia.Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2011; 47: 232-234
- Hypercoagulability in non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia.Blood Rev. 2012; 26: S20-S23
- Venous thromboembolism and hypercoagulability in splenectomized patients with thalassaemia intermedia.Br J Haematol. 2000; 111: 467-473
- Prevalence of thromboembolic events among 8,860 patients with thalassaemia major and intermedia in the Mediterranean area and Iran.Thromb Haemost. 2006; 96: 488-491
- Pulmonary hypertension and right heart failure in patients with β-thalassemia intermedia.Chest. 1995; 107: 50-53
- Cardiac involvement in thalassemia intermedia: a multicenter study.Blood. 2001; 97: 3411-3416
- Age-related complications in treatment-naïve patients with thalassaemia intermedia.Br J Haematol. 2010; 150: 486-489
- Elevated liver iron concentration is a marker of increased morbidity in patients with β-thalassemia intermedia.Haematologica. 2011; 96: 1605-1612
- Iron overload in non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia: a clinical perspective.Blood Rev. 2012; 26: S16-S19
- Iron overload in thalassaemia intermedia: reassessment of iron chelation strategies.Br J Haematol. 2009; 147: 634-640
- A new severity score index for phenotypic classification and evaluation of responses to treatment in type I Gaucher disease.Haematologica. 2008; 93: 1211-1218
- Rheumatoid arthritis disease activity measures: American College of Rheumatology recommendations for use in clinical practice.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012; 64: 640-647
- Fabry International Prognostic Index: a predictive severity score for Anderson–Fabry disease.J Med Genet. 2012; 49: 212-220
- A validated disease severity scoring system for adults with type 1 Gaucher disease.Genet Med. 2010; 12: 44-51
- Phenotype score to grade the severity of thalassemia intermedia.Indian J Pediatr. 2003; 70: 477-481
- A scoring system for the classification of beta-thalassemia/Hb E disease severity.Am J Hematol. 2008; 83: 482-484
- Evaluation of the 5 mg/g liver iron concentration threshold and its association with morbidity in patients with beta-thalassemia intermedia.Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2013; 51: 35-38
- Serum ferritin for predicting clinically relevant LIC thresholds to guide management of patients with non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia treated with deferasirox: THALASSA study extension analysis.Haematologica. 2013; 98 ([abst S1171])
- End stage renal disease in six patients with beta-thalassemia intermedia.Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2013; 51: 146-148
- Prevalence and risk factors for pulmonary arterial hypertension in a large group of beta-thalassemia patients using right heart catheterization: a Webthal(R) study.Circulation. 2013; 129: 338-345
Published online: November 03, 2015
Accepted: October 9, 2015
Received in revised form: October 5, 2015
Received: August 25, 2015
© 2015 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.