- •Air pollution is a leading global problem for public health.
- •PM air pollution is a well known risk factor for arterial occlusive disease.
- •The association between PM and VTE is less established.
- •The 11 studies included in this systematic review suggest the existence of a relationship between PM exposure and VTE.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Air pollution and health.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1233-1242
- Impact on human health of climate changes.Eur J Intern Med. 2015; 26: 1-5
- An association between air pollution and mortality in six U.S. cities.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 1753-1759
- The association between air pollution and heart failure, arrhythmia, embolism, thrombosis, and other cardiovascular causes of death in a time series study.Epidemiology. 2001; 12: 355-357
- Particulate air pollution as a predictor of mortality in a prospective study of U.S. adults.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995; 151: 669-674
- On behalf of ESC Working Group on Thrombosis, European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, European Heart Rhythm Association and ESC Heart Failure Association. Expert position paper on air pollution and cardiovascular disease.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 83-93b
- Short-term effects of air pollution on cardiovascular diseases: outcomes and mechanisms.J Thromb Haemost. 2007; 5: 2169-2174
- Particulate air pollution and cardiovascular risk: short-term and long-term effects.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2009; 35: 665-670
- Air pollution and cardiovascular disease.Thromb Res. 2012; 129: 230-234
- Air pollution, vascular disease and thrombosis: linking clinical data and pathogenic mechanisms.J Thromb Haemost. 2012; 10: 2438-2451
- Thrombogenicity and cardiovascular effects of ambient air pollution.Blood. 2011; 118: 2405-2412
- Air particulate matter and cardiovascular disease.Eur J Intern Med. 2013; 24: 295-302
- Effects of inhalable particulate matter on blood coagulation.J Thromb Haemost. 2010; 8: 662-668
- Seasonal and monthly variability in the incidence of venous thromboembolism. A systematic review and a meta-analysis of the literature.Thromb Haemost. 2011; 106: 439-447
- The Newcastle–Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality if nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses.(Available at)[last visit 14-06-2015])
- Exposure to particulate air pollution and risk of deep vein thrombosis.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 920-927
- Living near major traffic roads and risk of deep vein thrombosis.Circulation. 2009; 119: 3118-3124
- Gruppo collaborativo EpiAir. Air pollution and urgent hospital admissions in nine Italian cities. Results of the EpiAir Project.Epidemiol Prev. 2009; 33: 77-94
- Air pollution and hospitalization for venous thromboembolic disease in Chile.J Thromb Haemost. 2010; 8: 669-674
- Traffic exposure and incident venous thromboembolism in the atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) study.J Thromb Haemost. 2011; 9: 672-678
- Ambient particulate matter air pollution and venous thromboembolism in the Women's Health Initiative Hormone Therapy trials.Environ Health Perspect. 2011; 119: 326-331
- Access rate to the emergency department for venous thromboembolism in relationship with coarse and fine particulate matter air pollution.PLoS One. 2012; 7e34831
- Venous thromboembolism in an industrial north American city: temporal distribution and association with particulate matter air pollution.PLoS One. 2013; 8e66829
- Short-term exposure to high levels of air pollution as a risk factor for acute isolated pulmonary embolism.Thromb Res. 2014; 134: 259-263
- Short-term effects of air pollution on a range of cardiovascular events in England and Wales: case-crossover analysis of the MINAP database, hospital admissions and mortality.Heart. 2014; 100: 1093-1098
- Effects of airbone fine particles (PM2.5) on deep vein thrombosis admission in North Eastern United States.J Thromb Haemost. 2015; 13: 768-774