- •Geriatric syndromes are prevalent among the elderly and affect morbidity and older adults' quality of life.
- •Different diseases have a variable impact on the number of occurring geriatric syndromes.
- •Comorbidity is not always associated with an increased number of geriatric syndromes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Designing health care for the most commonchronic condition — multimorbidity.JAMA. Jun 20 2012; 307: 2493-2494https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.5265
- Multimorbidity's many challenges.BMJ. May 19 2007; 334: 1016-1017
- Multimorbidity type, hospitalizations and emergency department visits among nursing home residents: a preliminary study.J Nutr Health Aging. Jul 2014; 18: 705-709https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-014-0030-6
- Aging with multimorbidity: a systematic review of the literature.Ageing Res Rev. Sep 2011; 10: 430-439https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2011.03.003
- Managing patients with multimorbidity: systematic review of interventions in primary care and community settings.BMJ. Sep 3 2012; 345e5205https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e5205
- Chronic care: making the case for ongoing care. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Princeton, NJ2010 ([Errore. Riferimento a collegamento ipertestuale non valido./50968chronic.care.chartbook.pdf. Accessed January 03, 2015])
- Shared risk factors for falls, incontinence, and functional dependence. Unifying the approach to geriatric syndromes.JAMA. May 3 1995; 273: 1348-1353
- Restricting symptoms in the last year of life: a prospective cohort study.JAMA Intern Med. Sep 9 2013; 173: 1534-1540https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.8732
- Geriatric syndromes: clinical, research, and policy implications of a core geriatric concept.J Am Geriatr Soc. May 2007; 55: 780-791
- AdHOC Project Research Group. Potentially inappropriate medication use among elderly home care patients in Europe.JAMA. Mar 16 2005; 293: 1348-1358
- Community care in Europe. The Aged in Home Care Project (AdHOC).Aging Clin Exp Res. 2004; 16: 259-269
- Comprehensive clinical assessment in community setting: applicability of the MDS-HC.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997; 45: 1017-1024
- Minimum data set for home care: a valid instrument to assess frail older people living in the community.Med Care. 2000; 38: 1184-1190
- Scaling ADLs within the MDS.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1999; 54: M546-M553
- Ideas PNC research team. Diagnostic data for neurological conditions in interRAI assessments in home care, nursing home and mental health care settings: a validity study.BMC Health Serv Res. Nov 1 2013; 13: 457https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-13-457
- MDS cognitive performance scale.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M174-M182
- Relationship between multimorbidity and physical activity: secondary analysis from the Quebec health survey.BMC Public Health. Sep 5 2008; 8: 304https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-304
- Single index of multimorbidity did not predict multiple outcomes.J Clin Epidemiol. Oct 2005; 58: 997-1005
- Prevalence, expenditures, and complications of multiple chronic conditions in the elderly.Arch Intern Med. Nov 11 2002; 162: 2269-2276
- Prevalence of morbidity and multimorbidity in elderly male populations and their impact on 10-year all-cause mortality: the FINE study (Finland, Italy, Netherlands, Elderly).J Clin Epidemiol. Jul 2001; 54: 680-686
- Disability, more than multimorbidity, was predictive of mortality among older persons aged 80 years and older.J Clin Epidemiol. Jul 2010; 63: 752-759https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2009.09.007
- Incontinence in older women.JAMA. Jun 2 2010; 303: 2172-2181https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2010.749
- Mobility limitations and fall-related factors contribute to the reduced health-related quality of life in older adults with chronic musculoskeletal pain.Pain Pract. Dec 3 2014; https://doi.org/10.1111/papr.12264
- A multicomponent approach to identify predictors of hospital outcomes in older in-patients: a multicentre, observational study.PLoS One. Dec 26 2014; 9e115413https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0115413
- Predictors of length of hospital stay among older adults admitted to acute care wards: a multicentre observational study.Eur J Intern Med. Jan 2014; 25: 56-62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2013.08.709
- Effects of anorexia on mortality among older adults receiving home care: an observation study.J Nutr Health Aging. Jan 2012; 16: 79-83
- Functional decline in peripheral arterial disease: associations with the ankle brachial index and leg symptoms.JAMA. Jul 28 2004; 292: 453-461
- Longitudinal impact of joint pain comorbidity on quality of life and activity levels in knee osteoarthritis: data from the osteoarthritis initiative.Rheumatology (Oxford). Mar 2013; 52: 543-546https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/kes314
- The impact of neurological disorders on the risk for falls in the community dwelling elderly: a case-controlled study.BMJ Open. Nov 25 2013; 3e003367https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-003367
- LADIS Study. Physical activity prevents progression for cognitive impairment and vascular dementia: results from the LADIS (Leukoaraiosis and Disability) study.Stroke. Dec 2012; 43: 3331-3335https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.112.661793
- Patterns of chronic multimorbidity in the elderly population.J Am Geriatr Soc. Feb 2009; 57: 225-230https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.02109.x
- SHELTER Study. Polypharmacy in nursing home residents with severe cognitive impairment: results from the SHELTER Study.Alzheimers Dement. Sep 2013; 9: 587-593https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2012.09.009