- •An efficient fall prediction in older adults remains a challenge.
- •Artificial neural networks have the greatest performance criteria for fall prediction.
- •Sensitivity and specificity of artificial neural networks were unbalanced.
- •Neuroevolution of augmenting topologies should be used for the screening of fallers.
- •Adaptive neuro fuzzy interference system should be used for the diagnosis of recurrent fallers.
Abbreviations:ACC (Accuracy), AI (Artificial intelligence), ANFIS (Adaptive neuro fuzzy interference system), ANNS (Artificial neural networks), AUROC (Area under receiver operating characteristic curve), CHAID (Chi-squared automatic interaction detector), MLP (Multilayer perceptron), MICE (Multivariate imputation via chained equations), NPV (Negative predictive value), ANOVA (One-way analysis of variance), PCR4 (Prévention des chutes réseau 4), PCPA (Prévention des chutes personnes âgées), PPV (Positive predictive value)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- How to manage recurrent falls in clinical practice: guidelines of the French Society of Geriatrics and Gerontology.J Nutr Health Aging. 2011; 15: 79-84
- Hospital fall prevention: a systematic review of implementation, components, adherence, and effectiveness.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 483-494
- Fall-risk screening test: a prospective study on predictors for falls in community-dwelling elderly.J Clin Epidemiol. 2001; 54: 837-844
- Review of fall risk assessment in geriatric populations using inertial sensors.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2013; 10: 91
- Sensors vs. experts — a performance comparison of sensor-based fall risk assessment vs. conventional assessment in a sample of geriatric patients.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2011; 11: 48
- Sensor-based fall risk assessment—an expert 'to go'.Methods Inf Med. 2011; 50: 420-426
- Ambulatory fall-risk assessment: amount and quality of daily-life gait predict falls in older adults.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015; 70: 608-615
- Artificial neural network and falls in community-dwellers: a new approach to identify the risk of recurrent falling?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 536.e8-536.e19
- Forcasting the clinical outcome: artificial neural networks or multivariate statistical models?.in: Suzuki Kenji Artificial Neural Networks — Methodological Advances and Biomedical Applications. InTech, 2011 ([ISBN])
- New approach to risk determination: development of risk profile for new falls among community-dwelling older people by use of a genetic algorithm neural network (GANN).J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000; 55: M17-M21
- Assessment of fall-risk by means of a neural network based on parameters assessed by a wearable device during posturography.Med Eng Phys. 2008; 30: 367-372
- New neural network classifier of fall-risk based on the Mahalanobis distance and kinematic parameters assessed by a wearable device.Physiol Meas. 2008; 29: N11-N19
- The Artificial Intelligence Approach for Diagnosis, Treatment and Modelling in Orthodontic.INTECH Open Access Publisher, 2011
- Ao S.I. International Association of Engineers World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science, WCECS 2008, San Francisco, USA. Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science. IAENG International Association of Engineers, Hong KongOctober 22–24 2008
- Fuzzy logic-based tumor-marker profiles improved sensitivity in the diagnosis of lung cancer.Int J Clin Oncol. 2002; 7: 145-151
- Adaptation of fuzzy inference system using neural learning.in: In: Fuzzy Systems Engineering. Springer, 2005: 53-83
- Use of fuzzy logic decision making in medical expert systems].Med Tekh. 2015; : 33-35
- Risk factors for falling in community-dwelling older adults: which of them are associated with the recurrence of falls?.J Nutr Health Aging. 2010; 14: 787-791
- A screening tool with five risk factors was developed for fall-risk prediction in community-dwelling elderly.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 1152-1160
- Association between benzodiazepines and recurrent falls: a cross-sectional elderly population-based study.J Nutr Health Aging. 2011; 15: 72-77
- Statistical Analysis with Missing Data.Wiley, 2002
- MICE: Multivariate Imputation by Chained Equations in R. J Stat Softw:1-68. 2011; (): 529-539
- Physiological factors associated with falls in older community-dwelling women.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1994; 42: 1110-1117
- The timed “Up & Go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- Biology of gait control: vitamin D involvement.Neurology. 2011; 76: 1617-1622
- Screening for depression among acutely ill geriatric inpatients with a short Geriatric Depression Scale.Age Ageing. 1997; 26: 217-221
- Timed Up and Go test and risk of falls in older adults: a systematic review.J Nutr Health Aging. 2011; 15: 933-938
- Association of depressive symptoms with recurrent falls: a cross-sectional elderly population based study and a systematic review.J Nutr Health Aging. 2013; 17: 152-157
- Common protective movements govern unexpected falls from standing height.J Biomech. 1998; 31: 1-9