- •Nearly 20% of underweight people are identified as metabolically abnormal in China.
- •This underweight phenotype has comparable metabolic feature with obese people.
- •This underweight phenotype is associated with presence of cardiovascular disease.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Association of hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, and metabolic syndrome with obesity: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999 to 2004.J Am Coll Surg. 2008; 207: 928-934
- Metabolic syndrome in normal-weight Americans: new definition of the metabolically obese, normal-weight individual.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2222-2228
- Secular trends in cardiovascular disease risk factors according to body mass index in US adults.JAMA. 2005; 293: 1868-1874
- Association between body-mass index and risk of death in more than 1 million Asians.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 719-729
- Body-mass index and mortality in a prospective cohort of U.S. adults.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1097-1105
- Body weight and mortality among men and women in China.JAMA. 2006; 295: 776-783
- Body-mass index and mortality among 1.46 million white adults.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2211-2219
- National, regional, and global trends in body-mass index since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 960 country-years and 9.1 million participants.Lancet. 2011; 377: 557-567
- Body mass index and mortality in China: a 15-year prospective study of 220 000 men.Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 472-481
- Nationally representative surveys show recent increases in the prevalence of overweight and obesity among women of reproductive age in Bangladesh, Nepal, and India.J Nutr. 2009; 139: 2139-2144
- Prevalence, metabolic features, and prognosis of metabolically healthy obese Italian individuals: the Cremona Study.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 210-215
- Impact of body mass index and the metabolic syndrome on the risk of cardiovascular disease and death in middle-aged men.Circulation. 2010; 121: 230-236
- Normal weight obesity: a risk factor for cardiometabolic dysregulation and cardiovascular mortality.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 737-746
- Metabolically healthy obesity: epidemiology, mechanisms, and clinical implications.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2013; 1: 152-162
- Characterizing the profile of obese patients who are metabolically healthy.Int J Obes (Lond). 2011; 35: 971-981
- The obese without cardiometabolic risk factor clustering and the normal weight with cardiometabolic risk factor clustering: prevalence and correlates of 2 phenotypes among the US population (NHANES 1999-2004).Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1617-1624
- The intriguing metabolically healthy but obese phenotype: cardiovascular prognosis and role of fitness.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 389-397
- Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in China: a cross-sectional survey.Lancet. 2012; 379: 815-822
- Predictive values of body mass index and waist circumference for risk factors of certain related diseases in Chinese adults--study on optimal cut-off points of body mass index and waist circumference in Chinese adults.Biomed Environ Sci. 2002; 15: 83-96
- The Centers for Disease Control-National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute Lipid Standardization Program. An approach to accurate and precise lipid measurements.Clin Lab Med. 1989; 9: 105-135
- Albuminuria and kidney function independently predict cardiovascular and renal outcomes in diabetes.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 1813-1821
- Association of estimated glomerular filtration rate and albuminuria with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in general population cohorts: a collaborative meta-analysis.Lancet. 2010; 375: 2073-2081
- Survey of obesity and underweight among inpatients with schizophrenia in psychiatric hospitals throughout Japan.Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 2013; 115: 10-21
- The world health report 2002 - reducing risks, promoting healthy life.Educ Health (Abingdon). 2003; 16: 230
- Major causes of death among men and women in China.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 1124-1134
- Low levels of leisure-time physical activity and cardiorespiratory fitness predict development of the metabolic syndrome.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 1612-1618
- Clustering of major cardiovascular risk factors and the association with unhealthy lifestyles in the chinese adult population.PLoS One. 2013; 8 (e66780)
- Occupational sitting and health risks: a systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 39: 379-388
- Impact of abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue on cardiometabolic risk factors: the Jackson Heart Study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 5419-5426
- Abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue compartments: association with metabolic risk factors in the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 2007; 116: 39-48