- •Multimorbidity is an independent risk factor for pneumonia in the elderly.
- •CIRS Comorbidity Score may be useful to define this risk.
- •COPD and dementia are the main contributors to this association.
- •Traditional risk factors, like cancer or diabetes, play a minor role in this population.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Clinical and economic burden of community-acquired pneumonia in the Veterans Health Administration, 2011: a retrospective cohort study.Infection. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1007/s15010-015-0789-3
- Risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia in adults in Europe: a literature review.Thorax. 2013; 68: 1057-1065
- Identification of new risk factors for pneumonia: population-based case–control study.Br J Gen Pract. 2009; 59: e329-e338
- Epidemiology of community-acquired pneumonia in older adults: a population-based study.Resp Med. 2009; 103: 309-316
- Hospitalized community-acquired pneumonia in the elderly: an Australian case–cohort study.Epidemiol Infect. 2009; 137: 194-202
- Risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia in immunocompetent seniors.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 882-888
- A systematic review of prevalence studies on multimorbidity: toward a more uniform methodology.Ann Fam Med. 2012; 10: 142-151
- Examining different measures of multimorbidity, using a large prospective cross-sectional study in Australian general practice.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e004694
- Multimorbidity type, hospitalizations and emergency department visits among nursing home residents: a preliminary study.J Nutr Health Aging. 2013; 18: 705-709
- Multimorbidity, health care utilization and costs in an elderly community-dwelling population: a claims data based observational study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2015; 15: 23
- Health care utilization of patients with multiple chronic diseases in The Netherlands: differences and underlying factors.Eur J Intern Med. 2015; 26: 190-196
- Modifiable risk factors for pneumonia requiring hospitalization of community-dwelling older adults: the health, aging and body composition study group.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 1111-1118
- Age and other risk factors of pneumonia among residents of Polish long-term care facilities.Int J Infect Dis. 2013; 17: e37-e43
- New evidence of risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia: a population-based study.Eur Resp J. 2008; 31: 1274-1284
- Proton-pump inhibitor use and the risk for community-acquired pneumonia.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 149: 391-398
- Proton pump inhibitors and the risk of hospitalization for community-acquired pneumonia: replicated cohort studies with meta-analysis.Gut. 2014; 63: 552-558
- Healthcare-associated pneumonia: diagnostic criteria and distinction from community-acquired pneumonia.Int J Infect Dis. 2011; 15: e545-e550
- A manual of guidelines to score the modified Cumulative Illness Rating Scale and its validation in acute hospitalized elderly patients.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 1926-1931
- Validity of the medication-based disease burden index compared with the Charlson comorbidity index and the Cumulative Illness Rating Scale for geriatrics: a cohort study.Drugs Aging. 2011; 28: 1007-1014
- Comorbidities and disease severity as risk factors for Carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae colonization: report of an experience in an internal medicine unit.PLoS One. 2014; 9e110001
- Validation of a combined comorbidity index.J Clin Epidemiol. 1994; 47: 1245-1251
- Adherence to antibiotic treatment guidelines and outcomes in the hospitalized elderly with different types of pneumonia.Eur J Intern Med. 2015; 26: 330-337
- Disease clusters in older adults: rationale and need for investigation.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 2395-2396
- The prevalence of chronic disease clusters in older adults with multiple chronic diseases—a systematic literature review.PLoS One. 2013; 8e79641
- Comparison of disease clusters in two elderly populations hospitalized in 2008 and 2010.Gerontology. 2013; 59: 307-315
- Prevalence of measured and reported multimorbidity in a representative sample of the Swiss population.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 164
- Confounding in the association of proton pump inhibitor use with the risk of community-acquired pneumonia.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 28: 223-230
- Risk of community-acquired pneumonia and use of gastric acid-suppressive drugs.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1955-1960
- Nursing home residence is the main risk factor for increased mortality in healthcare-associated pneumonia.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 77: 138-142
- Comparison of clinical profile in elderly patients with nursing and healthcare-associated pneumonia, and those with community-acquired pneumonia.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2014; 14: 362-371
- Comparison of severe healthcare-associated pneumonia with severe community-acquired pneumonia.Lung. 2014; 192: 313-320
- Stratifying risk factors for multidrug-resistant pathogens in hospitalized patients coming from the community with pneumonia.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 470-478
- Microbial aetiology of healthcare-associated pneumonia in Spain: a prospective, multicentre, case–control study.Thorax. 2013; 68: 1007-1014
- Risk of community-acquired pneumonia and the use of statins, ace inhibitors and gastric acid suppressants: a population-based study.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2009; 18: 269-275
☆Funding sources and related paper presentations: All authors have no conflict of interest to declare. This research has been carried out with no extra-institutional funding. Preliminary results were presented at the 115th National Congress of the Italian Society of Internal Medicine (Società Italiana di Medicina Interna, SIMI), held in Rome, Italy, from October 25th to October 27th 2014.