- •In our centre, only a minority of CKD patients were referred to nephrology.
- •Younger male patients with CKD4 were more likely to be referred.
- •Urine investigations remain largely underutilised.
- •Urine tests were more likely to occur in diabetes, CKD3B or worse and if referred.
Early referral of CKD patients to nephrology teams (NT) is vital to identify patients most likely to progress, delay decline of excretory function, and provide planned RRT. Unfortunately, many are still being referred late.
We conducted a retrospective analysis to investigate referral rates, predictors of non-referral, and performed urine investigations in hospitalised CKD patients.
Out of 388 patients studied, 5.6%, 11.4%, and 16.4% in CKD3A, 3B, and 4 + 5, respectively, were referred to an NT upon discharge (CKD3A vs. CKD4 + 5, p = 0.016). For every additional year of age, the odds of being referred decreased by 5% (OR: 0.95, CI: 0.92–0.98, p = 0.003). Patients were more likely to be referred to an NT if they were males (OR: 2.31, CI: 1.09–4.90, p = 0.029) and having reached CKD 4 + 5 (OR: 3.99, CI: 1.58–10.10, p = 0.003). Only 28.8%, 43.9%, and 50.7% of patients with CKD3A, 3B, and 4 + 5 were followed up with urine investigations after discharge (p = 0.001). CKD stage 3B (OR: 3.54, CI: 1.23–10.19, p = 0.019), CKD stage 4 + 5 (OR: 6.06, CI: 1.69–21.67, p = 0.006), DM (OR: 6.28, CI: 2.38–16.58, p < 0.0001), and having been referred to a NT (OR: 20.95, CI: 3.54–123.92, p = 0.001) were independent predictors for having urine investigations.
The highest rate of referral was achieved in males, younger age group, and those who have reached CKD stage 4 + 5. Urine tests remain largely underutilised and only a minority (16.4%) of patients with an eGFR <30 mL/min/1.73 m2 were referred to a NT.
Abbreviations:NT (Nephrology team)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- 2012 clinical practice guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease.Kidney Int Suppl. 2013 Jan; 3: 1-163
- Decline in kidney function before and after nephrology referral and the effect on survival in moderate to advanced chronic kidney disease.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006 Aug; 21: 2133-2143
- Early deaths on renal replacement therapy: the need for early nephrological referral.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1992; 7: 467-471
- Early referral and planned initiation of dialysis: what impact on quality of life?.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2003 Jul; 18: 1330-1338
- Late nephrology referral and mortality among patients with end-stage renal disease: a propensity score analysis.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2004 Jul; 19: 1808-1814
- The deadly risk of late referral.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2004 Sep; 19: 2175-2180
- Outcomes of early versus late nephrology referral in chronic kidney disease: a systematic review.Am J Med. 2011 Nov; 124: 1073-1080
- Late referral of patients with end-stage renal disease: an in-depth review and suggestions for further actions.NDT Plus. 2010 Feb; 3: 17-27
- Referral patterns of primary care physicians for chronic kidney disease in general population and geriatric patients.Clin Nephrol. 2010 Apr; 73: 260-267
- Determinants of delayed nephrologist referral in patients with chronic kidney disease.Am J Kidney Dis. 2001; 38: 1178-1184
- Patient and provider determinants of nephrology referral in older adults with severe chronic kidney disease: a survey of provider decision making.BMC Nephrol. 2011 Sep; 12: 47
- Factors influencing utilization of the primary prevention implantable defibrillator.PLoS ONE. 2015 Mar 20; 10e0121515
- Effect of age, gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic status and region on dispensing of CVD secondary prevention medication in New Zealand: the Atlas of Health Care Variation CVD cohort (VIEW-1).N Z Med J. 2014 Aug 15; 127: 39-69
- CKD progression and mortality among older patients with diabetes.Am J Kidney Dis. 2005 Sep; 46: 406-414
- Referral patterns to renal services: what has changed in the past 4 years?.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009 Nov; 24: 3411-3419
- The timing of specialist evaluation in chronic kidney disease and mortality.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 137: 479
- Chronic renal failure: factors influencing nephrology referral.Q J Med. 1994; 87: 559-564
- Patient referral is influenced by dialysis centre structure in the Diamant Alpin Dialysis cohort study.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2004 Sep; 19: 2341-2346
- Ultralate referral and presentation for renal replacement therapy: socioeconomic implications.Am J Kidney Dis. 2005 Nov; 46: 881-886
- Delayed referral of black, Hispanic, and older patients with chronic renal failure.Am J Kidney Dis. 1999 Apr; 33: 728-733
- Renal replacement therapy in patients with diabetes and end-stage renal disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004 Jan; 15: S25-S29
- 2014 Annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD2014
- Association of single measurements of dipstick proteinuria, estimated glomerular filtration rate, and hematocrit with 25-year incidence of end-stage renal disease in the multiple risk factor intervention trial.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006 May; 17: 1444-1452
- Detection of chronic kidney disease with laboratory reporting of estimated glomerular filtration rate and an educational program.Arch Intern Med. 2004 Sep 13; 164: 1788-1792
- Opportunistic in-hospital screening for kidney disease using the Kidney Health Check.Nephrology (Carlton). 2014 Nov; 19: 693-698
- Longer duration of predialysis nephrological care is associated with improved long-term survival of dialysis patients.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2001 Dec; 16: 2357-2364
- Referral to nephrologists for chronic kidney disease care: is non-diabetic kidney disease ignored?.Nephron Clin Pract. 2007; 106: c113-c118
- Decline in kidney function before and after nephrology referral and the effect on survival in moderate to advanced chronic kidney disease.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006; 21: 2133-2143
- Timing of nephrologist referral and arteriovenous access use: the CHOICE study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2001 Sep; 38: 494-501
- An economic evaluation of early versus late referral of patients with progressive renal insufficiency.Am J Kidney Dis. 2001 Nov; 38: 1122-1128
- Early nephrology referral reduces the economic costs among patients who start renal replacement therapy: a prospective cohort study in Korea.PLoS ONE. 2014 Jun 13; 9e99460
- Knowledge, attitude and practices regarding chronic kidney disease and estimated GFR in a tertiary care hospital in Pakistan.J Pak Med Assoc. 2010 May; 60: 342-346
- Identification and management of chronic kidney disease complications by internal medicine residents: a national survey.Am J Ther. 2011 May; 18: e40-e47
- Awareness and knowledge of clinical practice guidelines for CKD among internal medicine residents: a national online survey.Am J Kidney Dis. 2008 Dec; 52: 1061-1069
Published online: January 19, 2016
Accepted: January 10, 2016
Received in revised form: December 22, 2015
Received: June 28, 2015
© 2016 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.