- •More than 50/% of patients received PPIs before, during, or after hospitalization.
- •Hospital clinicians changed PPI therapy prescribed by GPs only rarely.
- •Appropriateness of PPI use/non-use was found in about 2/3 of cases.
- •The most common inappropriate behavior was over- rather than under-prescription.
Abbreviations:PPI (Proton pump inhibitor), GP (General practitioner), MAI (Medication Appropriateness Index), OR (Odds ratio), OTC (Over the counter), GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), NSAID (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), ASA (Acetylsalicylic acid)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Overprescribing proton pump inhibitors.BMJ. 2008; 336: 2-3
- Aktuelle Daten KTuK: Arzneiverordnungs-Report.2010 ([article online], 2010. Available from)(Accessed 21 July 2015)
- IMS Health. [article online].2015 (Available from)(Accessed 21 July 2015)
- National Report on Medicines use in Italy. Year 2013. (English edition).in: The Medicines Utilisation Monitoring Centre. [article online]. 2014 (Available from http://www.agenziafarmaco.gov.it/sites/default/files/OsMed_Report13_Eng.pdf. Accessed 21 July 2015)
- Adverse effects of proton pump inhibitors.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2010; 24: 193-201
- Defining appropriate use of proton-pump inhibitors among medical inpatients.J Gen Intern Med. 2015;
- An evaluation of the use of proton pump inhibitors.Pharm World Sci. 2001; 23: 116-117
- Safety of proton pump inhibitors.Med Clin (Barc). 2006; 127: 790-795
- Vertebral fracture efficacy during risedronate therapy in patients using proton pump inhibitors.Osteoporos Int. 2012; 23: 277-284
- Proton pump inhibitor use and the antifracture efficacy of alendronate.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 998-1004
- Thyroxine in goiter, Helicobacter pylori infection, and chronic gastritis.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1787-1795
- Systematic review: impaired drug absorption related to the co-administration of antisecretory therapy.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 29: 1219-1229
- Effect of the clopidogrel-proton pump inhibitor drug interaction on adverse cardiovascular events in patients with acute coronary syndrome.Pharmacotherapy. 2012; 32: 809-818
- Concomitant use of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors: impact on platelet function and clinical outcome—a systematic review.Heart. 2013; 99: 520-527
- Public statement on possible interaction between clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors. [article online].2009 (Available from)(Accessed 21 July 2015)
- Early communication about an ongoing safety review of clopidogrel bisulfate (marketed as Plavix). [article online].2013 (Available from)http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm079520.htm(Accessed 21 July 2015)
- Overuse of PPIs in patients at admission, during treatment, and at discharge in a tertiary Spanish hospital.Curr Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 5: 288-297
- Long-term use of acid suppression started inappropriately during hospitalization.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2005; 21: 1203-1209
- A method for assessing drug therapy appropriateness.J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45: 1045-1051
- Functional evaluation: the BARTHEL index.Md State Med J. 1965; 14: 61-65
- Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Maastricht III consensus report.Gut. 2007; 56: 772-781
- Guidelines for prevention of NSAID-related ulcer complications.Am J Gastroenterol. 2009; 104: 728-738
- Proton pump inhibitor treatment for acute peptic ulcer bleeding.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; CD002094
- Treatment strategies for Zollinger–Ellison syndrome.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009; 10: 1145-1157
- American Gastroenterological Association Institute technical review on the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135 (1413): 1392-1413
- Determining when quality improvement initiatives should be considered research: proposed criteria and potential implications.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2275-2280
- Appropriateness of proton pump inhibitor recommendations at hospital discharge and continuation in primary care.Int J Clin Pract. 2012; 66: 767-773
- Magnitude and economic effect of overuse of antisecretory therapy in the ambulatory care setting.Am J Manag Care. 2010; 16: e228-e234
- Proton pump inhibitors: a survey of prescribing in an Irish general hospital.Int J Clin Pract. 2005; 59: 31-34
- Continuation of proton pump inhibitors from hospital to community.Pharm World Sci. 2006; 28: 189-193
- Inappropriate prescribing of proton pump inhibitors in primary care.Postgrad Med J. 2007; 83: 66-68
- Discontinuation of proton pump inhibitors in patients on long-term therapy: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006; 24: 945-954
- Why do physicians prescribe stress ulcer prophylaxis to general medicine patients?.South Med J. 2010; 103: 1103-1110
- Why do GPs continue inappropriate hospital prescriptions of proton pump inhibitors? A qualitative study.Eur J Gen Pract. 2014; 20: 174-180
- The role of food for the formation and prevention of gastrointestinal lesions induced by aspirin in cats.Dig Dis Sci. 2013; 58: 2840-2849
- Drug-disease and drug–drug interactions: systematic examination of recommendations in 12 UK national clinical guidelines.BMJ. 2015; 350: h949
- A therapeutic substitution policy for proton pump inhibitors: clinical and economic consequences.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2006; 79: 379-388
- Proton pump inhibitors and hospital discharge rates for gastrointestinal events in Italy: a national ecological study.Clin Ther. 2007; 29: 751-758