- •Long-PPI use has an impact on Mg levels in patients on hemodialysis.
- •Health care professionals must be aware of the potential impact of PPI use on Mg levels.
- •This is especially important in those patients who are receiving PPIs and have cardiac diseases.
- •These patients should be closely monitored for serum Mg concentrations.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Hypomagnesemia induced by long-term treatment with proton-pump inhibitors.Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2015; 2015: 951768
- Proton-pump inhibitor use is associated with low serum magnesium concentrations.Kidney Int. 2013; 83: 692-699
- Hypomagnesemia associated with a proton pump inhibitor.Intern Med. 2012; 51: 2231-2234
- Proton-pump inhibitors and hypomagnesemic hypoparathyroidism.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 1834-1836
- Proton pump inhibitors and hypomagnesemia in the general population: a population-based cohort study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015 Jun 26; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Proton pump inhibitors linked to hypomagnesemia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.Ren Fail. 2015; 37: 1237-1241
- The association of proton pump inhibitors and hypomagnesemia in the community setting.J Clin Pharmacol. 2014; 54: 889-895
- Uses of proton pump inhibitors and hypomagnesemia.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012; 21: 553-559
US Department of Health and Human Services F, Drug safety communication. Proton pump inhibitor drugs (PPIs): Drug safety communication—low magnesium levels can be associated with long-term use. (updated 03 March 2011; cited); Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm245275.htm.
- The relationship between proton pump inhibitor use and serum magnesium concentration among hemodialysis patients: a cross-sectional study.BMC Nephrol. 2015; 16: 136
- Hypomagnesemia in hemodialysis patients: role of proton pump inhibitors.Am J Nephrol. 2014; 39: 204-209
- Proton pump inhibitors and hypomagnesemia: a rare but serious complication.Kidney Int. 2013; 83: 553-556
- Modeling and simulation of the effect of proton pump inhibitors on magnesium homeostasis. Oral absorption of magnesium.Mol Pharm. 2012; 9: 3495-3505
- Hypomagnesemia in patients with type 2 diabetes.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 2: 366-373
- Out-of-hospital use of proton pump inhibitors and hypomagnesemia at hospital admission: a nested case–control study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 62: 730-737
- Impact of proton pump inhibitor use on magnesium homeostasis: a cross-sectional study in a tertiary emergency department.Int J Clin Pract. 2014; 68: 1352-1357
- Risk factors and risk for mortality of mild hypoparathyroidism in hemodialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2002; 39: 1245-1254
- Parathyroid hormone gene polymorphism and secondary hyperparathyroidism in hemodialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2002; 39: 1255-1260
- Bone fracture and the interaction between bisphosphonates and proton pump inhibitors: a meta-analysis.Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015; 8: 4899-4910
- Serum magnesium concentration is a significant predictor of mortality in maintenance hemodialysis patients.Magnes Res. 2007; 20: 237-244
- Hypomagnesemia is a significant predictor of cardiovascular and noncardiovascular mortality in patients undergoing hemodialysis.Kidney Int. 2014; 85: 174-181
- Clinical disorders of magnesium metabolism.Compr Ther. 1997; 23: 168-173
- Hypomagnesemia and cardiovascular system.Hippokratia. 2006; 10: 147-152
- Predictors of loss of residual renal function among new dialysis patients.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2000; 11: 556-564
☆Conflict of interest statement: All authors have no conflict of interest.