- •Coexistence of anemia was associated with more severe PAD.
- •Patients with more severe PAD had lower rates of endovascular revascularization.
- •Anemia predicts higher rates of in-hospital complications, worse short-term outcome.
- •Anemia denotes higher rates of limb amputation, of short and long-term mortality.
- •Anemia is driver of health-related expenditures, longer hospital stay durations.
Methods and results
- The economic burden of anemia in heart failure.Heart Fail Clin. 2010; 6: 373-383
- Recognising anaemia and malnutrition in vascular patients with critical limb ischaemia.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010; 92: 495-498
- Anaemia, iron and vitamin deficits in patients with peripheral arterial disease.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011; 41: 828-830
- Pathogenesis and treatment of anaemia of chronic disease.Blood Rev. 2002; 16: 87-96
- Anemia in adults: a contemporary approach to diagnosis.Mayo Clin Proc. 2003; 78: 1274-1280
- 2002 E. Mead Johnson award for research in pediatrics lecture: the molecular biology of the anemia of chronic disease: a hypothesis.Pediatr Res. 2003; 53: 507-512
- The pathological consequences of anaemia.Clin Lab Haematol. 2001; 23: 1-6
- Erythropoetin and the cardiorenal syndrome: cellular mechanism on the cardiorenal connectors.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006; 291: 932-944
- Letter regarding article by McKechnie et al,“Prognostic implication of anemia on in-hospital outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention”.Circulation. 2005; 111: 263-264
- Piecing together the evidence on anemia: the link between chronic kidney disease and cardiovascular disease.Rev Cardiovasc Med. 2005; Suppl. 3: 4-12
- Anemia and chronic heart failure implications and treatment options.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 52: 501-511
- Haemoglobin-related mortality in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary interventions.Eur Heart J. 2003; 23: 2142-2150
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Cardiovascular Consortium (BMC2). Prognostic implication of anemia on in-hospital outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention.Circulation. 2004; 110: 271-277
- Is anemia a new cardiovascular risk factor?.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 186: 117-124
- Hemoglobin level, chronic kidney disease, and the risks of death and hospitalization in adults with chronic heart failure: the Anemia in Chronic Heart Failure: Outcomes and Resource Utilization (ANCHOR) Study.Circulation. 2006; 113: 2713-2723
- Prevalence and outcomes of anemia in surgery: a systematic review of the literature.Am J Med. 2004; Suppl. 7A: 58-69
- Perioperative anemia: an independent risk factor for infection, mortality, and resource utilization in surgery.J Surg Res. 2002; 102: 237-244
- Anemia, an independent predictive factor for amputation and mortality in patients hospitalized for peripheral artery disease.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2014; 48: 202-207
- Peripheral arterial disease and critical limb ischaemia: still poor outcomes and lack of guideline adherence.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 932-938
- CKD and acute and long-term outcome of patients with peripheral artery disease and critical limb ischemia.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015 Dec 14; ([pii: CJN.05600515])
- Impact of anaemia in patients with acute myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention: analysis from the Controlled Abciximab and Device Investigation to Lower Late Angioplasty Complications (CADILLAC) trial.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004; 44: 547-553
- Effect of peripheral arterial disease on in-hospital outcomes after primary percutaneous coronary intervention for acute myocardial infarction.Am J Cardiol. 2010; 105: 1268-1271
- Reducing Bleeding in Cardiac Surgery (RBC) Investigators. Risk associated with preoperative anemia in cardiac surgery: a multicenter cohort study.Circulation. 2008; 117: 478-484
- Predictors of long-term survival after coronary artery bypass grafting surgery: results from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Cardiac Surgery Database (the ASCERT study).Circulation. 2012; 125: 1491-1500
- Anemia and change in hemoglobin over time related to mortality and morbidity in patients with chronic heart failure: results from Val-HeFT.Circulation. 2005; 112: 1121-1127
- Peripheral arterial disease and chronic heart failure: a dangerous mix.Heart Fail Rev. 2013; 18: 457-464
- Steering Committee of the CREATE trial, CREATE Study Group. CREATE: new strategies for early anaemia management in renal insufficiency.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2003; Suppl. 2: 13-16
- Relationship of high and low ankle brachial index to all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality: the Strong Heart Study.Circulation. 2004; 109: 733-739
- Mortality and cardiovascular risk across the ankle-arm index spectrum: results from the Cardiovascular Health Study.Circulation. 2006; 113: 388-393
- Impact of anemia on in-hospital, one-month and one-year mortality in patients with acute coronary syndrome from the Middle East.Clin Med Res. 2012; 10: 65-71
- Impact of chronic anemia on in-hospital clinical outcome of revascularization in patients with coronary artery disease.Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue. 2007; 19: 641-643
- Anaemia and coronary artery disease severity in patients with heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2006; 8: 54-57
- The impact of new onset anaemia on morbidity and mortality in chronic heart failure: results from COMET.Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 1440-1446
- The prevalence of anemia in chronic heart failure and its impact on clinical outcomes.Heart Fail Rev. 2008; 13: 387-392
- Reduced kidney function and anemia as risk factors for mortality in patients with left ventricular dysfunction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001; 38: 955-962