- •Physical function is a robust predictor of long-term mortality in older men.
- •Older community-dwelling men can experience functional changes over a 3-year time.
- •Repeated functional assessment can provide additional prognostic information.
- •Most prognostic information lays in the final assessment of physical function.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Physical function measurements predict mortality in ambulatory older men.Eur J Clin Invest. 2013; 43: 379-386
- Prognostic value of grip strength: findings from the Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (PURE) study.Lancet. 2015; 386: 266-273https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)62000-6
- Muscle strength and physical performance as predictors of mortality, hospitalization, and disability in the oldest old.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014; 62: 1030-1038
- Magnitude and patterns of decline in health and function in 1 year affect subsequent 5-year survival.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 894-900
- Improvement in usual gait speed predicts better survival in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 1727-1734
- Longitudinal change in the physical performance of older adults in the community.J Jpn Phys Ther Assoc. 1998; 1: 1-5
- Change in physical performance over time in older women: the Women's Health and Aging Study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002; 57: M289-M293
- Physical activity as a determinant of change in mobility performance: the Longitudinal Aging Study Amsterdam.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 1774-1781
- Grip strength across the life course: normative data from twelve British studies.PLoS One. 2014; 9e113637https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0113637
- Endocrine determinants of incident sarcopenia in middle-aged and elderly European men.J Cachex Sarcopenia Muscle. 2015; 6: 242-252
- Decline in fast gait speed as a predictor of disability in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 1129-1136https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.13442
- Objectively measured physical capability levels and mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2010; 341: c4467
- Frailty and sarcopenia: definitions and outcome parameters.Osteoporos Int. 2012; 23: 1839-1848
- Sex steroid level, androgen recepter polymorphism, and depressive symptoms in healthy elderly men.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 636-642
- The decline of serum testosterone levels in community-dwelling men over 70 years of age: descriptive data and predictors of longitudinal changes.Eur J Endocrinol. 2008; 159: 459-468
- Development and validation of a Geriatric Depression Screening Scale: a preliminary report.J Psychiatr Res. 1983; 17: 37-49
- The Rapid Disability Rating Scale-2.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1982; 30: 378-382
- The RAND 36—Item Health Survey 1.0..Health Econ. 1993; 2: 217-227
- Physical functioning scale of the Short-Form (SF) 36: internal consistency and validity with older adults.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2010; 33: 16-18
- Grip test: the use of a dynamometer with adjustable handle spacings.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1954; 36-A: 820-824
- Handgrip strength testing: a review of the literature.Aust Occup Ther J. 1999; 46: 120-140
- Simple method for measurement of lower extremity muscle strength.Am J Med. 1985; 78: 77-81
- Sit-to-stand test for measuring performance of lower extremity muscles.Percept Mot Skills. 1995; 80: 163-166
- The timed “up & go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- How to report statistics in medicine: annotated guidelines for authors, editors, and reviewers.ACP Press, 2006
- Using time dependent covariates and time dependent coefficients in the Cox model.
- Prospective change in health-related quality of life and subsequent mortality among middle-aged and older women.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 2085-2091https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.114041
- Change in health-related quality of life as a predictor of mortality in the older adults.Qual Life Res. 2010; 19: 15-23https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-009-9561-4
- Predicting late-life disability and death by the rate of decline in physical performance measures.Age Ageing. 2012; 41: 155-161https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afr151
- Trajectories of gait speed predict mortality in well-functioning older adults: the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013; 68: 546-564https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/gls197
- Change in fast walking speed preceding death: results from a prospective longitudinal cohort study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 354-362https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glt114
- The role of change in physical performance in determining risk for dependence in activities of daily living among nondisabled community-living elderly persons.J Clin Epidemiol. 1997; 50: 765-772