- •ACOS negatively affects physical performance and health-related quality of life.
- •ACOS worsens disease-related disability.
- •Long-term mortality of ACOS is worse than asthma and similar to COPD.
- •After 65 years, 1/3 of COPD patients and 1/5 of asthmatics might have ACOS.
Abbreviations:6MWT (6-min walking test), ACOS (asthma–COPD overlap syndrome), BD (bronchodilator), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), GLI (Global Lung Initiative), HRQL (health-related quality of life), LLN (lower limit of normal), PY (person/years), SA.R.A. (SAlute Respiratoria nell'Anziano—Respiratory Health in the Elderly), SGRQ (Saint George Respiratory Questionnaire)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Summary health statistics for U.S. adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2012.Vital Health Stat. 2014; 10: 1-161
- The asthma–COPD overlap syndrome.N Engl J Med. Sep 24 2015; 373: 1241-1249
- The proportional Venn diagram of obstructive lung disease: two approximations from the United States and the United Kingdom.Chest. 2003; 124: 474-481
- The proportional Venn diagram of obstructive lung disease in the Italian general population.Chest. 2004; 126: 1093-1101
- Epidemiology of the origins of airflow limitation in asthma.Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2009; 6: 707-711
- Diagnosing asthma–COPD overlap syndrome.Consultant. 2014; 54: 845-849
- The overlap syndrome of asthma and COPD: what are its features and how important is it?.Thorax. 2009; 64: 728-735
- The asthma–COPD overlap syndrome: a common clinical problem in the elderly.J Allergy (Cairo). 2011; 2011: 861926
- The interplay between the effects of lifetime asthma, smoking, and atopy on fixed airflow obstruction in middle age.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187: 42-48
- Asthma–COPD overlap. Clinical relevance of genomic signatures of type 2 inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015; 191: 758-766
- The clinical and genetic features of COPD–asthma overlap syndrome.Eur Respir J. 2014; 44: 341-350
- Burden of concomitant asthma and COPD in a Medicaid population.Chest. 2008; 134: 14-19
- Characteristics and self-rated health of overlap syndrome.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2014; 9: 795-804
- Economic burden in direct costs of concomitant chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma in a Medicare advantage population.J Manag Care Pharm. 2008; 14: 176-185
- Distinct clinical phenotypes of airways disease defined by cluster analysis.Eur Respir J. 2009; 34: 812-818
- The clinical features of the overlap between COPD and asthma.Respir Res. 2011; 12: 127
- Increased risk of exacerbation and hospitalization in subjects with an overlap phenotype COPD–asthma.Chest. 2014; 145: 297-304
- Asthma attacks with eosinophilia predict mortality from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in a general population sample.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 160: 1869-1874
- Histamine airway hyper-responsiveness and mortality from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a cohort study.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1313-1317
- Mortality in adults with self-reported asthma. Copenhagen City Heart Study Group.Lancet. 1996; 347: 1285-1289
- Mortality and markers of risk of asthma death among 1,075 outpatients with asthma.Chest. 1995; 108: 10-15
- Mortality and airflow obstruction in asthma: a 17-year follow-up study.Intern Med J. 2006; 36: 773-780
- Asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and mortality in the U.S. population.COPD. 2011; 8: 400-407
- Asthma, airflow limitation and mortality risk in the general population.Eur Respir J. 2015; 45: 338-346
- Survival in COPD patients after regular use of fluticasone propionate and salmeterol in general practice.Eur Respir J. 2002; 20: 819-825
- Survival of COPD patients using inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting b-agonists.Respir Med. 2006; 100: 595-609
- Predictors of rehospitalization and death after a severe exacerbation of COPD.Chest. 2007; 132: 1748-1755
- Quality control of spirometry in the elderly. The SA.R.A. study. SAlute Respiration nell'Anziano = Respiratory Health in the Elderly.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 161: 1094-1100
- Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995; 152: 1107-1136
- ERS Global Lung Function Initiative. Multi-ethnic reference values for spirometry for the 3–95-yr age range: the global lung function 2012 equations.Eur Respir J. 2012; 40: 1324-1343
- The coexistence of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): prevalence and risk factors in young, middle-aged and elderly people from the general population.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e62985
- Prevalence of asthma with airflow limitation, COPD, and COPD with variable airflow limitation in older subjects in a general Japanese population: The Hisayama Study.Respir Investig. 2015; 53: 2-29
- The asthma–COPD overlap syndrome (ACOS): hype or reality? That is, a curiosity for the media or an opportunity for physicians?.Shortness of Breath. 2014; 3: 165-174
- Asthma–COPD overlap syndrome (ACOS): A diagnostic challenge.Respirology. Oct 2015; 8 ([Epub ahead of print])
- Understanding asthma–chronic obstructive pulmonary disease overlap syndrome.Respir Med. Oct 9 2015; ([Epub ahead of print])
- The asthma–chronic obstructive pulmonary disease overlap syndrome: pharmacotherapeutic considerations.Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 6: 197-219
- Diagnosis of disease of chronic airflow limitation: asthma, COPD and asthma–COPD overlap syndrome (ACOS).[Accessed February 25, 2015])
- The asthma COPD overlap syndrome (ACOS).Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2015; 5: 509
- Asthma as a risk factor for COPD in a longitudinal study.Chest. 2004; 126: 59-65
- The asthma–chronic obstructive pulmonary disease overlap syndrome (ACOS): opportunities and challenges.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2015; 21: 74-79
- Longitudinal changes in clinical outcomes in older patients with asthma, COPD and asthma–COPD overlap syndrome.Respiration. 2014; 87: 63-74
- Long-term survival of a cohort of community residents with asthma.N Engl J Med. 1994; 331: 1537-1541
☆For all authors, no financial or other potential conflicts of interest exist.
☆☆The study was supported by the Italian Association for the Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Respiratory Diseases (PreDiCARe).