- •Bacteremia is rare in uncomplicated cellulitis.
- •In common settings, empirical therapy covers the typical causative bacteria.
- •Blood cultures in uncomplicated cellulitis do not influence the management.
- •Unnecessary blood cultures should be avoided in the clinical practice.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Microbiologic evaluation of cutaneous cellulitis in adults.Arch Intern Med. 1986; 146: 295-297
- Influence of underlying disease process on the utility of cellulitis needle aspirates.Arch Intern Med. 1988; 148: 2451-2452
- The etiology of bacterial cellulitis as determined by fine-needle aspiration.Scand J Infect Dis. 1989; 21: 537-542
- Clinical practice. Cellulitis.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 904-912
- Cost-effectiveness of blood cultures for adult patients with cellulitis.Clin Infect Dis. 1999; 29: 1483-1488
- Risk factors for bacteremia in patients with limb cellulitis.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2006; 25: 619-626
- Does this adult patient with suspected bacteremia require blood cultures?.JAMA. 2012; 308: 502-511
- Contaminant blood cultures and resource utilization. The true consequences of false-positive results.JAMA. 1991; 265: 365-369
- Reducing blood culture contamination by a simple informational intervention.J Clin Microbiol. 2010; 48: 4552-4558
- Complicated infections of skin and skin structures: when the infection is more than skin deep.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2004; 53: ii37-ii50
- Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections: 2014 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: e10-e52
- Streptococcal infections of skin and soft tissues.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 240-245
- Erysipelas: clinical and bacteriologic spectrum and serological aspects.Clin Infect Dis. 1996; 23: 1091-1098
- Risk factors for acute cellulitis of the lower limb: a prospective case–control study.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 41: 1416-1422
- Clinical outcomes of bacteraemia in cellulitis of the leg.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2014; 39: 683-688
- A systematic review of bacteremias in cellulitis and erysipelas.J Infect. 2012; 64: 148-155
- Severe group a streptococcal soft-tissue infections in Ontario: 1992–1996.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 34: 454-460
- Severe soft tissue infections of the extremities in patients admitted to an intensive care unit.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2005; 11: 79-82
- Detection of bacteremia in adults: consequences of culturing an inadequate volume of blood.Ann Intern Med. 1993; 119: 270-272
- Diagnosis of cellulitis in the immunocompromised host.Can J Infect Dis. 1990; 1: 133-135
- The microbial evaluation of acute cellulitis.Cutis. 1983; 31 ([-50, 53-4, 56]): 649
- Helicobacter cinaedi-associated bacteremia and cellulitis in immunocompromised patients.Ann Intern Med. 1994; 121: 90-93
- Clinical syndromes associated with adult pneumococcal cellulitis.Scand J Infect Dis. 2000; 32: 133-136
- Predictors of mortality in Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2012; 25: 362-386
- Clinical management of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: a review.JAMA. 2014; 312: 1330-1341
- Diagnosis and management of Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia.Intern Med J. 2005; 35: S17-S24
- Factors associated with complications and mortality in adult patients hospitalized for infectious cellulitis.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2003; 22: 151-157
- Use of cultures in cellulitis: when, how, and why?.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2006; 25: 615-617
- Gram-negative cellulitis complicating cirrhosis.Mayo Clin Proc. 2004; 79: 247-250
- Epidemiology and microbiology of cellulitis and bacterial soft tissue infection during HIV disease: a 10-year survey.J Cutan Pathol. 2002; 29: 168-172
- Bacteriologic analysis of infected dog and cat bites. Emergency medicine animal bite infection study group.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 85-92
- Empiric antimicrobial therapy for pediatric skin and soft-tissue infections in the era of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: e959-e966
- Clinical practice guidelines by the infectious diseases society of America for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults and children.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: e18-e55
- Clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of intravascular catheter-related infection: 2009 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 1-45