- •Rates of renal transplant increased in type 2 diabetes patients over time.
- •Time trend analyses 2002–2013 showed increases in infections and rejection.
- •Infection rates were higher in people with T2DM/T1DM than in non-diabetic people.
- •We observed decreasing mortality rates during admission for renal transplant.
- •Diabetes was not associated with a higher in-hospital mortality.
Abbreviations:CCI (Charlson comorbidity index), CMBD (Conjunto Mínimo Básico de Datos, or Minimum Basic Data Set, the Spanish National Hospital Database), ESRD (End-stage renal disease), ICD-9-CM (International Classification of Diseases-Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification), IHM (In-hospital mortality), LOHS (Length of hospital stay), RTx (Renal transplantation), T1DM (Type 1 diabetes mellitus), T2DM (Type 2 diabetes mellitus)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose regulation in Spain: the [email protected] study.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 88-93
- Renal replacement therapy for diabetic end-stage renal disease: data from 10 registries in Europe (1991–2000).Kidney Int. 2005; 67: 1489-1499
- Kidney transplantation in the diabetic patient.J Clin Med. 2015; 4: 1269-1280
- Cardiovascular complications in the diabetic patient with renal disease: an update in 2003.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2003; 18: 1993-1998
- Patient survival and cardiovascular risk after kidney transplantation: the challenge of diabetes.Am J Transplant. 2008; 8: 593-599
- Influence of diabetes mellitus on patient and graft survival in recipients of kidney transplantation.Clin Transplant. 2001; 15: 89-94
- Diabetes mellitus as predictor of patient and graft survival after kidney transplantation.Transplant Proc. 2013; 45: 3245-3248
- Long-term prognosis of patients after kidney transplantation: a comparison of those with or without diabetes mellitus.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005; 20: 611-617
- Conjunto mínimo básico de datos, Hospitales del INSALUD.(Available from)Accessed October 6, 2015)
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Servicios sociales e igualdad: [Encuesta Nacional de Salud de España].(Available from)Accessed December 1, 2015)
- Population estimates 2010.(Available from)Accessed December 1, 2015)
- Incidence of renal replacement therapy for diabetic nephropathy in the Netherlands: Dutch diabetes estimates (DUDE)-3.BMJ Open. 2015; 5e005624
- Impact of diabetes mellitus on transplantation.Clin Transpl. 2004; : 357-377
- Trends in kidney transplantation outcome: the Andalusian Kidney Transplant Registry, 1984–2007.Transplant Proc. 2009; 41: 1583-1585
- Renal transplantation in elderly patients older than 70 years of age: results from the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients.Transplantation. 2007; 83: 1069-1074
- Effects of body mass index at transplant on outcomes of kidney transplantation.Transplantation. 2007; 84: 981-987
- Outcomes in obese kidney transplant recipients.Transplant Proc. 2014; 46: 3416-3419
- A “weight-listing” paradox for candidates of renal transplantation?.Am J Transplant. 2007; 7: 550-559
- Increase in malignancies as cause of death in renal transplant patients.Transplant Proc. 2009; 41: 2159-2162
- Improved survival rate in patients with diabetes and end-stage renal disease in Denmark.Diabetologia. 2007; 50: 922-929
- Kidney transplantation in type 2 diabetic patients: a comparison with matched non-diabetic subjects.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2002; 17: 1678-1683
- Survival of patients with type 1 diabetes receiving renal replacement therapy in 1980–2007.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1718-1723
- Improved survival of type 2 diabetic patients on renal replacement therapy in Finland.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010; 25: 892-896
- Dialysis patients and cardiovascular problems: can technology help solve the complex equation?.Blood Purif. 2006; 24: 39-45
- Patient survival after renal transplantation: I. The impact of dialysis pre-transplant.Kidney Int. 1998; 53: 767-772
- Effect of age, gender, and diabetes on excess death in end-stage renal failure.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 18: 2125-2134
- Incidences, treatments, outcomes, and sex effect on survival in patients with end-stage renal disease by diabetes status in Australia and New Zealand (1991 2005).Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 3070-3076
- Trends in lower-extremity amputations in people with and without diabetes in Spain, 2001–2008.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 1570-1576
- Journalist workshop on organ donation and transplantation recent facts & figures 26 November 2014 — Brussels.(Available at)Accessed 4 June 2016)
- Datos globales de donación y trasplante.(Available from)Accessed December 1, 2015)