- •The association between HgbA1c and anemia in elderly non-diabetics was evaluated.
- •HgbA1c was not correlated with hemoglobin or nutritional factors causing anemia.
- •Hemoglobin does not need to be considered when interpreting HgbA1c in elderly non diabetics.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Evaluation of conditions associated with glycated hemoglobin values below the reference range.Clin Lab. 2007; 53: 179-181
- Challenges in HbA1c analysis and reporting: an interesting case illustrating the many pitfalls.Clin Biochem. 2008; 41: 1104-1106
- Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c): old dogmas, a new perspective?.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2010; 48: 609-614
- HbA1c levels are associated with chronic kidney disease in a non-diabetic adult population: a Nationwide Survey (KNHANES 2011-2013).PLoS One. 2015; 10e0145827
- Effect of chronic kidney disease on A1C in individuals being screened for diabetes.Prim Care Diabetes. 2015; 9: 142-146
- Interference of common haemoglobin variants with the Tosoh G7 standard mode HbA1c method.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2015; 75: 362-366
- Effects of hemoglobin variants on hemoglobin a1c values measured using a high-performance liquid chromatography method.J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2014; 8: 1168-1176
- Interference of the most frequent haemoglobin variants on quantification of HbA1c: comparison between the LC–MS (IFCC reference method) and three routinely used methods.Diabetes Metab. 2013; 39: 363-369
- Association between the presence of iron deficiency anemia and hemoglobin A1c in Korean adults: the 2011–2012 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94e825
- The effect of anaemia and abnormalities of erythrocyte indices on HbA1c analysis: a systematic review.Diabetologia. 2015; 58: 1409-1421
- HbA1c and iron deficiency: a review.Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2013; 7: 118-122
- Glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1c) in iron- and vitamin B12 deficiency.J Intern Med. 1990; 227: 133-136
- Effects of iron deficiency anemia on hemoglobin A1c in type 1 diabetes mellitus.Pediatr Int. 1999; 41: 357-362
- Effect of iron deficiency anemia on the levels of hemoglobin A1C in non-diabetic patients.Acta Hematol. 2004; 112: 126-128
- Hemoglobin A1c values are affected by hemoglobin level and gender in non-anemic Koreans.J Diabetes Invest. 2014; 5: 60-65
- Unexplained anemia in the elderly.Semin Hematol. 2008; 45: 250-254
- Differences in diabetes prevalence, incidence and mortality among the elderly of four racial/ethnic groups: Whites, Blacks, Hispanics and Asians.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2317-2324
- The association between glycated hemoglobin levels and mortality in non-diabetic elderly subjects.Eur J Intern Med. 2016; 27: 57-61
- Recognition and sequestration of young and old RBCs from young and elderly human donors: in vitro studies.J Lab Clin Med. 1993; 121: 493-501
- Anemia in the elderly.Am Fam Physician. 2000; 62: 1565-1572
- Limitations of A1c interpretation.South Med J. 2015; 108: 724-729
☆All authors had access to the data and a role in the writing of the manuscript.