- •Sexual dysfunction is common in patients after myocardial infarction.
- •Safety of sexual activity after heart attack is unclear for cardiac patients.
- •Knowledge of treatment options for erectile dysfunction is poor in cardiac patients.
- •Low effort tolerance may constitute a risk marker for impaired sexual activity post-MI.
- •Counseling after heart attack may improve management of erectile dysfunction.
Abbreviations:MI (myocardial infarction), CHD (coronary heart disease), ED (erectile disorders), PDE-5i (phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitors), IIEF-5 (International Index of Erectile Function 5), PCI (percutaneous coronary interventions), CABG (coronary artery bypass grafts), LVEDD (left ventricular end-diastolic diameter), MET (metabolic equivalents)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Erectile dysfunction after myocardial infarction — myth or a real problem?.Coll Antropol. 2007; 31: 185-188
- Patterns and loss of sexual activity in the year following hospitalization for acute myocardial infarction (a United States National Multisite Observational Study).Am J Cardiol. 2012; 109: 1439-1444https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2012.01.355
- Oral sildenafil in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. 1998.J Urol. 2002; 167: 1197-1203
- Development and evaluation of an abridged, 5-item version of the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5) as a diagnostic tool for erectile dysfunction.Int J Impot Res. 1999; 11: 319-326
- Cardiac disease, anxiety, and sexual functioning.Am J Cardiol. 2000; 86: 46F-50F
- Sex knowledge in males and females recovering from a myocardial infarction: a brief communication.Clin Nurs Res. 2012; 21: 486-494https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773812437241
- Epidemiology of erectile dysfunction: results of the ‘Cologne Male Survey’.Int J Impot Res. 2000; 12: 305-311
- Patients' knowledge about risk factors for erectile dysfunction is poor.J Sex Med. 2008; 5: 2399-2404https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2008.00866.x
- The prevalence and clinical relevance of sexual dysfunction in women and men with chronic heart failure.Int J Impot Res. 2008; 20: 85-91https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijir.3901613
- Association between physical exercise and quality of erection in men with ischaemic heart disease and erectile dysfunction subjected to physical training.Kardiol Pol. 2013; 71: 573-580https://doi.org/10.5603/KP.2013.0120