- •AVWS was common and associated with higher bleeding rates and higher platelet count.
- •Importantly, most AVWS patients had platelet counts under 1000 × 109/L.
- •Therefore, VWF testing should be integral to the routine assessment of MPN patients.
- •JAK2 V617F is a main driver for the development of AVWS in ET patients.
Abbreviations:AVWS (acquired von Willebrand syndrome), ET (essential thrombocythemia), MPN (myeloproliferative neoplasms), PV (polycythemia vera)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- von Willebrand factor biosynthesis, secretion, and clearance: connecting the far ends.Blood. 2015; 125: 2019-2028
- Acquired von Willebrand syndrome: data from an international registry.Thromb Haemost. 2000; 84: 345-349
- Acquired von Willebrand syndrome: an update.Am J Hematol. 2007; 82: 368-375
- Acquired von Willebrand disease in patients with polycythemia rubra vera.Am J Hematol. 1987; 26: 135-146
- Clinical significance of inhibitors in acquired von Willebrand syndrome.Blood. 1998; 91: 3623-3629
- Elevated platelet count as a cause of abnormal von Willebrand factor multimer distribution in plasma.Blood. 1993; 82: 1749-1758
- The reduction of large von Willebrand factor multimers in plasma in essential thrombocythaemia is related to the platelet count.Br J Haematol. 1996; 93: 962-965
- Decreased half-life time of plasma von Willebrand factor collagen binding activity in essential thrombocythaemia: normalization after cytoreduction of the increased platelet count.Br J Haematol. 1997; 99: 832-836
- Correlation of blood counts with vascular complications in essential thrombocythemia: analysis of the prospective PT1 cohort.Blood. 2012; 120: 1409-1411
- Incidence and risk factors for bleeding in 1104 patients with essential thrombocythemia or prefibrotic myelofibrosis diagnosed according to the 2008 WHO criteria.Leukemia. 2012; 26: 716-719
- Management of extreme thrombocytosis in otherwise low-risk essential thrombocythemia; does number matter?.Blood. 2006; 108: 2493-2494
- Polycythemia vera-associated acquired von Willebrand syndrome despite near-normal platelet count.Am J Hematol. 2010; 85: 545
- Personalized management of essential thrombocythemia-application of recent evidence to clinical practice.Leukemia. 2013; 27: 1617-1620
- Polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia: 2015 update on diagnosis, risk-stratification, and management.Am J Hematol. 2015; 90: 162-173
- Proposals and rationale for revision of the World Health Organization diagnostic criteria for polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia, and primary myelofibrosis: recommendations from an ad hoc international expert panel.Blood. 2007; 110: 1092-1097
- Diagnostic workup of patients with acquired von Willebrand syndrome: a retrospective single-centre cohort study.J Thromb Haemost. 2008; 6: 569-576
- Performance of two new automated assays for measuring von Willebrand activity:HemosIL AcuStar and Innovance.Thromb Haemost. 2014; 112: 825-830
- Diagnosis of inherited von Willebrand disease: comparison of two methodologies and analysis of the discrepancies.Haemophilia. 2014; 20: 559-567
- JAK2 or CALR mutation status defines subtypes of essential thrombocythemia with substantially different clinical course and outcomes.Blood. 2014; 123: 1544-1551
- Definition of major bleeding in clinical investigations of antihemostatic medicinal products in non-surgical patients.J Thromb Haemost. 2005; 3: 692-694
- The paradox of platelet activation and impaired function: platelet-von Willebrand factor interactions, and the etiology of thrombotic and hemorrhagic manifestations in essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2006; 32: 589-604
- Qualitative and quantitative modifications of von Willebrand factor in patients with essential thrombocythemia and controlled platelet count.J Thromb Haemost. 2015; 13: 1226-1237
- Genetic and epigenetic complexity in myeloproliferative neoplasms.Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2011; 2011: 208-214
- Platelet turnover, coagulation factors, and soluble markers of platelet and endothelial activation in essential thrombocythemia: relationship with thrombosis occurrence and JAK2 V617F allele burden.Am J Hematol. 2009; 84: 102-108
- JAK2V617F-positive endothelial cells contribute to clotting abnormalities in myeloproliferative neoplasms.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111: 2295-2300
- Factors predisposing to acquired von Willebrand syndrome during the course of polycythemia vera – retrospective analysis of 142 consecutive cases.Thromb Res. 2015; 136: 754-757
- Shear-dependent changes in the three dimensional structure of human von Willebrand factor.Blood. 1996; 88: 2939-2950
- Fluid shear induces conformation change in human blood protein von Willebrand factor in solution.Biophys J. 2009; 96: 2313-2320
- Mechanoenzymatic cleavage of the ultralarge vascular protein von Willebrand factor.Science. 2009; 324: 1330-1334