- •Differences in cooling methodology might lead to differences in BAT activity.
- •The head might play an important role in the activation of BAT.
- •BAT might be important in the thermoregulation of the central nervous system.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Look AHEAD (action for health in diabetes): design and methods for a clinical trial of weight loss for the prevention of cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes.Control Clin Trials. 2003; 24: 610-628
- Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1724-1737
- The big fat bariatric bandwagon.Diabetologia. 2010; 53: 1815-1822
- Unexpected evidence for active brown adipose tissue in adult humans.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 293: E444-E452
- Brown adipose tissue activity controls triglyceride clearance.Nat Med. 2011; 17: 200-205
- Interplay between FGF21 and insulin action in the liver regulates metabolism.J Clin Invest. 2014; 124: 515-527
- Brown adipose tissue takes up plasma triglycerides mostly after lipolysis.J Lipid Res. 2015; 56: 51-59
- (123)I- or (125)I-metaiodobenzylguanidine visualization of brown adipose tissue.J Nucl Med. 2002; 43: 1234-1240
- Combining 123I-metaiodobenzylguanidine SPECT/CT and 18F-FDG PET/CT for the assessment of brown adipose tissue activity in humans during cold exposure.J Nucl Med. 2013; 54: 208-212
- Age-related decrease in cold-activated brown adipose tissue and accumulation of body fat in healthy humans.Obesity. 2011; 19: 1755-1760
- Fasting and postprandial activity of brown adipose tissue in healthy men.J Nucl Med. 2012; 53: 1407-1410
- Brown fat activation mediates cold-induced thermogenesis in adult humans in response to a mild decrease in ambient temperature.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: E1218-E1223
- Assessment of oxidative metabolism in brown fat using PET imaging.Front Endocrinol. 2012; 3: 15
- Cold but not sympathomimetics activates human brown adipose tissue in vivo.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012; 109: 10001-10005
- Cold acclimation recruits human brown fat and increases nonshivering thermogenesis.J Clin Invest. 2013; 123: 3395-3403
- Brown adipose tissue volume in healthy lean south Asian adults compared with white Caucasians: a prospective, case-controlled observational study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014; 2: 210-217
- Differences in sympathetic nervous stimulation of brown adipose tissue between the young and old, and the lean and obese.J Nucl Med. 2016; 57: 372-377
- Cold-activated brown adipose tissue in human adults: methodological issues.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2014; 307: R103-R113
- Functional brown adipose tissue in healthy adults.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1518-1525
- High incidence of metabolically active brown adipose tissue in healthy adult humans: effects of cold exposure and adiposity.Diabetes. 2009; 58: 1526-1531
- Brown adipose tissue, whole-body energy expenditure, and thermogenesis in healthy adult men.Obesity. 2011; 19: 13-16
- Brown adipose tissue oxidative metabolism contributes to energy expenditure during acute cold exposure in humans.J Clin Invest. 2012; 122: 545-552
- Cold-induced activity of brown adipose tissue in young lean men of South-Asian and European origin.Diabetologia. 2013 Oct; 56 (Epub 2013 Jun 25): 2231-2237https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-013-2938-5
- Cold-induced vasoconstriction at forearm and hand skin sites: the effect of age.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010; 109: 915-921
- The role of alpha1- and alpha2-adrenoceptors in gender differences in cutaneous LD flux response to local cooling.Microvasc Res. 2004; 68: 126-131
- The distribution of brown adipose tissue in the human.J Anat. 1972; 112: 35-39
- Anatomical locations of human brown adipose tissue: functional relevance and implications in obesity and type 2 diabetes.Diabetes. 2013; 62: 1783-1790
- Brown adipose tissue thermogenesis heats brain and body as part of the brain-coordinated ultradian basic rest-activity cycle.Neuroscience. 2009; 164: 849-861
- Identification and importance of brown adipose tissue in adult humans.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1509-1517
- Cold-activated brown adipose tissue in healthy men.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1500-1508
- Brown adipose tissue in morbidly obese subjects.PLoS One. 2011; 6e17247
- Differences in sympathetic nervous stimulation of brown adipose tissue between the young and old and the lean and obese.J Nucl Med. 2016 Mar; 57: 372-377https://doi.org/10.2967/jnumed.115.165829