- •Short-stay units improve the safety of discharged patients from Emergency Department.
- •Short-stays units increase the number of emergency admissions.
- •Short-stay units reduce the length of stay of admitted patients.
- •Short-stay units are as safe as medical wards.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Hospitalization of patients with heart failure: National Hospital Discharge Survey, 1985 to 1995.Am Heart J. 1999; 137: 352-360
- Containing the cost of heart failure management: a focus on reducing readmissions.Card Electrophysiol Clin. 2015; 7: 577-584
- Register of short-stay units in Spain, the REGICE project, study 1: location, organizational features, and staffing.Emergencias. 2014; 26: 57-60
- Clinical management of short-stay units in Spain: the REGICE 2 study.Emergencias. 2014; 26: 359-362
- Predictors of emergency department observation unit outcomes.Acad Emerg Med. 2005; 12: 869-874
- Effectiveness and safety of short-stay units in the emergency department: a systematic review.Acad Emerg Med. 2015; 22: 893-907
- Consensus on improving the care integrated of patients with acute heart failure.Emergencias. 2015; 27: 245-266
- Prolonged hospitalization in patients admitted for acute heart failure in the short stay unit (EPICA-UCE study): study of associated factors.Med Clin (Barc). 2014; 143: 245-251
- Short-stay units and observation medicine: a systematic review.Med J Aust. 2003; 178: 559-563
- Effectiveness and safety of an emergency department short-stay unit as an alternative to standard inpatient hospitalisation.Emerg Med J. 2006; 23: 833-837
- Spanish short-stay-units: results according to department designated to manage the unit.Emergencias. 2015; 27: 109-112
- Factors associated with short stays for patients admitted with acute heart failure.Emergencias. 2016; 28: 366-374
- The natural history of congestive heart failure: the Framingham study.N Engl J Med. 1971; 285: 1441-1446
- Patients' perception of quality of emergency department care for acute heart failure: the CALPERICA study.Emergencias. 2015; 27: 161-168
- Characteristics and clinical course of patients with acute heart failure and the therapeutic measures applied in Spanish emergency departments: results based on the EAHFE registry (epidemiology of acute heart failure in emergency departments).Emergencias. 2015; 27: 11-22
- Do outcomes for patients with heart failure vary by emergency department volume?.Circ Heart Fail. 2013; 6: 1147-1154
- The burden of acute heart failure on U.S. emergency departments.JACC Heart Fail. 2014; 2: 269-277
- Acute heart failure in the emergency department: short and long-term outcomes of elderly patients with heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2008; 10: 308-314
- Early deaths in patients with heart failure discharged from the emergency department: a population-based analysis.Circ Heart Fail. 2010; 3: 228-235
- Multicentric investigation of survival after Spanish emergency department discharge for acute heart failure.Eur J Emerg Med. 2012; 19: 153-160
- Risks and benefits of risk prediction in acute heart failure.JACC Heart Fail. 2015; 3: 748-750
- When and for how long do patients with AHF have to be admitted?.Emergencias. 2016; 28: 363-365
- Society of Chest Pain Centers recommendations for the evaluation and management of the observation stay acute heart failure patient-parts 1-6.Acute Card Care. 2009; 11: 3-42
- European Society of Cardiology - acute cardiovascular care association position paper on safe discharge of acute heart failure patients from the emergency department.Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care. 2016; (in press)https://doi.org/10.1177/2048872616633853
- Disposition of emergency department patients diagnosed with acute heart failure: an international emergency medicine perspective.Eur J Emerg Med. 2017; 24: 2-12
- Acute heart failure in Spain: certainties and uncertainties.Emergencias. 2015; 27: 7-9
- Cardiovascular research continuity: a call for greater collaboration between cardiology and emergency care researchers.Emergencias. 2015; 27: 396-398
Explotación del registro de altas CMBD del Sistema Nacional de Salud. Ministerio de Sanidad, Política Social e Igualdad. [cited: 9th january 2015]. Disponible en: http://www.msssi.gob.es/estadEstudios/estadisticas/cmbd/informes/2008_2011/7_Principales_indicadores_de_los_20_GRD_mas_frecuentes/7_Principales_indicadores_de_los_20_GRD_mas_frecuentes.html
- Trends in length of stay and short-term outcomes among medicare patients hospitalized for heart failure, 1993–2006.JAMA. 2010; 303: 2141-2147