- •Women with T2DM had 1.33 higher incidence of AF compared to T2DM men.
- •Women were older, had more obesity, hypertension and higher CHA2DS2-VASc score.
- •Ablation and implanted pacemakers were less frequently used in diabetic women.
- •After multivariable adjustment sex did not predict mortality during admissions for AF.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Atrial fibrillation: profile and burden of an evolving epidemic in the 21st century.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 167: 1807-1824
- Incidence and prevalence of atrial fibrillation: an analysis based on 8.3 million patients.Europace. 2013; 15: 486-493
- Global epidemiology of atrial fibrillation.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2014; 11: 639-654
- Trends in hospitalization for atrial fibrillation: epidemiology, cost, and implications for the future.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2015; 58 (105-1)
- Incidence of atrial fibrillation and relationship with cardiovascular events, heart failure, and mortality: a community-based study from the Netherlands.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 66: 1000-1007
- Trends in incidence and prevalence of hospitalization for atrial fibrillation and associated mortality in Western Australia, 1995–2010.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 208: 19-25
- Contemporary trends of hospitalization for atrial fibrillation in the United States, 2000 through 2010: implications for healthcare planning.Circulation. 2014; 129: 2371-2379
- 50 year trends in atrial fibrillation prevalence, incidence, risk factors, and mortality in the Framingham heart study: a cohort study.The Lancet. 2015; 386: 154-162
- Atrial fibrillation in women: epidemiology, pathophysiology, presentation, and prognosis.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2016; 13: 321-332
- Type 2 diabetes, glucose homeostasis and incident atrial fibrillation: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study.Heart. 2012; 98: 133-138
- Meta-analysis of cohort and case–control studies of type 2 diabetes mellitus and risk of atrial fibrillation.Am J Cardiol. 2011; 108: 56-62
- Diabetes mellitus as risk factor for atrial fibrillation hospitalization: incidence and outcomes over nine years in a region of northern Italy.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015; 109: 476-484
- Diabetes mellitus and atrial fibrillation: pathophysiological mechanisms and potential upstream therapies.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 184: 617-622
- A. Impact of type 2 diabetes mellitus in hospitalizations for atrial fibrillation in Spain (2004–2013).Int J Cardiol. 2016; 221: 688-694
Instituto Nacional de Gestión Sanitaria, Ministerio de Sanidad, Servicios Sociales e Igualdad. Conjunto Mínimo Básico de Datos, Hospitales del INSALUD. Available from http://www.ingesa.msc.es/estadEstudios/documPublica/CMBD-2001.htm. (Accessed October 6, 2015).
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- 2012 focused update of the ESC guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 2719-2747
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
UCLA Institute for Digital Research and Education Stata Data Analysis Examples. Poisson Regression Available from http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/dae/poissonreg.htm (Accessed 03 January2017).
Poisson Regression Analysis. Available from http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/tropej/online/ma_chap13.pdf (Accessed 03 January 2017).
- Regression analysis of count data.Cambridge Press, New York1998
- Epidemiologic programs for computers and calculators. Use of Poisson regression models in estimating incidence rates and ratios.Am J Epidemiol. 1985; 121: 309-323
- Applied logistic regression.3rd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York2013
- Social services and equality spanish national hospital database (CMBD, Conjunto Mínimo Básico de Datos).(Available at)http://www.msssi.gob.es/estadEstudios/estadisticas/estadisticas/estMinisterio/SolicitudCMBDdocs/Formulario_Peticion_Datos_CMBD.pdf(Accessed 4 January 2017)Date: 2016
- Worldwide epidemiology of atrial fibrillation: a global burden of disease 2010 study.Circulation. 2014; 129: 837-847
- Asymptomatic versus symptomatic atrial fibrillation: a systematic review of age/gender differences and cardiovascular outcomes.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 191: 172-177
- Obesity begets atrial fibrillation a contemporary summary.Circulation. 2013; 128: 401-405
- The long-and short-term impact of elevated body mass index on the risk of new atrial fibrillation: the WHS (Women's health study).J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 2319-2327
- Guidelines for the primary prevention of stroke a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2014; 45: 3754-3832
- Female sex as a risk factor for stroke in atrial fibrillation: a nationwide cohort study.J Thromb Haemost. 2012; 10: 1745-1751
- Care indicators in patients with atrial fibrillation: assessment of sex differences and Management of Clinical Problems.Rev Esp Cardiol. 2016; 69 (Engl Ed): 384-391
- Impact of gender on outcomes after atrial fibrillation ablation.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 187: 12-16
- Persistent atrial fibrillation ablation in females: insight from the MAGIC-AF trial.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. Jul 27 2016; (Epub ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1111/jce.13051
- Characteristics of patients undergoing atrial fibrillation ablation: trends over a seven-year period 1999–2005.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2007; 18: 23-28
- Anticoagulation in polypathological patients with atrial fibrillation.Med Clin (Barc). 2013; 140: 97-103
- There are sex differences in the demographics and risk profiles of emergency department (ED) patients with atrial fibrillation and flutter, but no apparent differences in ED management or outcomes.Acad Emerg Med. 2015; 22: 1067-1075
- The ‘obesity paradox’ in atrial fibrillation: observations from the ARISTOTLE (Apixaban for reduction in stroke and other thromboembolic events in atrial fibrillation) trial.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2869-2878
- Paradoxical association of smoking with in-hospital mortality among patients admitted with acute ischemic stroke.J Am Heart Assoc. 2013; 2e000171https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.113.000171
- A smoker's paradox in patients hospitalized for heart failure: findings from OPTIMIZE-HF.Eur Heart J. 2008; 29: 1983-1991
- Relation of smoking status to outcomes after cardiopulmonary resuscitation for in-hospital cardiac arrest.Am J Cardiol. 2014; 114: 169-174
- The “smoker's paradox” in patients with acute coronary syndrome: a systematic review.BMC Med. 2011; 9: 97https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-9-97
- Gender differences in stroke, mortality, and hospitalization among patients with atrial fibrillation: a systematic review.Heart Lung. 2015; 44: 189-198
- Under-coding of secondary conditions in coded hospital health data: impact of co-existing conditions, death status and number of codes in a record.Health Informatics J. 2016; (pii: 1460458216647089)
- Validity of information on comorbidity derived from ICD-9-CCM administrative data.Med Care. 2002; 40: 675-685
- Comparison of coding of heart failure and comorbidities in administrative and clinical data for use in outcomes research.Med Care. 2005; 43: 182-188
- Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose regulation in Spain: the diabetes study.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 88-93
- Pharmaceutical cost and multimorbidity with type 2 diabetes mellitus using electronic health record data.BMC Health Serv Res. 2016; 16: 394
- Trends in hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment and control in an adult type 2 diabetes Spanish population between 2003 and 2009.PLoS One. 2014; 9e86713
- The prevalence of diabetes-related complications and multimorbidity in the population with type 2 diabetes mellitus in the Basque Country.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 1059https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-1059
- Predictors of adherence to multiple clinical preventive recommendations among adults with diabetes in Spain.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0131844https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0131844