- •The effect of periodontal treatment in asthma control remains unclear.
- •Asthmatics underwent periodontal treatment were at lower risk of hospitalization for adverse respiratory events.
- •Periodontal treatment group had lower intensive care demands for these events.
- •All-cause mortality was also significantly lower in the periodontal treatment group.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Global Initiative for Asthma 2017 Update.(Available from)
- Periodontal diseases.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1809-1820
- Periodontal diagnoses and classification of periodontal diseases.in: Periodontol 2000. 34. 2004: 9-21
- Comparison of the oral health status and salivary flow rate of asthmatic patients with those of nonasthmatic adults – results of a pilot study.Allergy. 1998; 53: 316-319
- Oral health in young adults with long-term, controlled asthma.Acta Odontol Scand. 2011; 69: 158-164
- Studies on periodontal conditions in asthmatic children.Acta Odontol Scand. 1979; 37: 15-20
- Is bronchial asthma a risk factor for gingival diseases? A control study.N Y State Dent J. 2009; 75: 44-46
- Colonization of dental plaque by respiratory pathogens in medical intensive care patients.Crit Care Med. 1992; 20: 740-745
- Does treatment of periodontal disease influence systemic disease?.Dent Clin N Am. 2015; 59: 885-917
- Periodontal infections and community-acquired pneumonia: a case-control study.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013; 32: 27-32
- Influence of periodontitis in the development of nosocomial pneumonia: a case control study.J Periodontol. 2014; 85: e82-e90
- Intensive periodontal treatment reduces risk of infection-related hospitalization in hemodialysis population: a nationwide population-based cohort study.Medicine. 2015; 94e1436
- Risk of obstructive sleep apnea in adult patients with asthma: a population-based cohort study in Taiwan.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0128461
- Association of asthma and anxiety: a nationwide population-based study in Taiwan.J Affect Disord. 2016; 189: 98-105
- Non-apnea sleep disorder increases the risk of periodontal disease: a retrospective population-based cohort study.J Periodontol. 2014; 85: e65-e71
- Periodontal therapy is associated with decreased risk of developing end-stage renal disease - a study using the Taiwan National Health Insurance Database.J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2014; 14: 62-64
- Lessons from the Taiwan National Health Insurance research.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1527-1529
- Hypertension and asthma: a comorbid relationship.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2016; 4: 76-81
- Asthma control in elderly asthmatics. An Italian observational study.Respir Med. 2014; 108: 1091-1099
- Depressive symptomatology, quality of life and disease control among individuals with well-characterized severe asthma.J Asthma. 2013; 50: 884-890
- Asthma and oral health: a review.Aust Dent J. 2010; 55: 128-133
- Oral health of children with respiratory diseases.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2010; 11: 226-232
- The oral medicine of teeth wear.Aust Dent J. 2001; 46: 236-250
- Potential role of periodontal infection in respiratory diseases - a review.J Med Life. 2013; 6: 244-248
- A history of oral sepsis as a cause of disease.in: Periodontol 2000. 23. 2000 (13–8)
- Asthma exacerbations: predisposing factors and prediction rules.Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013; 13: 225-236
- Initial periodontal treatment for prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations.J Periodontol. 2013; 84: 863-870
- Effects of periodontal treatment on lung function and exacerbation frequency in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and chronic periodontitis: a 2-year pilot randomized controlled trial.J Clin Periodontol. 2014; 41: 564-572
- Periodontal treatment reduces risk of adverse respiratory events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a propensity-matched cohort study.Medicine. 2016; 95e3735
- Oral hygiene and dental status as factors related to asthma in high school and college students.J Asthma. 2015; 52: 376-381