- •Lung US contributes to the differential diagnosis of dyspnea in Internal Medicine.
- •At the bedside, it provides high sensitivity and specificity.
- •A generalized interstitial syndrome discriminates cardiac from pulmonary dyspnoea.
- •A wider use of this portable technique in the Internal Medicine wards is warranted.
Study design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Causes of congestive heart failure. Prompt diagnosis may affect prognosis.Postgrad Med. 1997; 101 ([54-6]): 44-49
- Discriminating causes of dyspnea through clinical examination.J Gen Intern Med. 1993; 8: 383-392
- The limited reliability of physical signs for estimating hemodynamics in chronic heart failure.JAMA. 1989; 261: 884-888
- The diagnostic usefulness of the history of the patient with dyspnea.J Gen Intern Med. 1986; 1: 386-393
- International evidence-based recommendations for point-of-care lung ultrasound.J Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38: 577-591
- Impact of pocket ultrasound use by internal medicine housestaff in the diagnosis of dyspnea.J Hosp Med. 2014; 9: 594-597
- Ultrasound lung comets: a clinically useful sign of extravascular lung water.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2006; 19: 356-363
- Usefulness of ultrasound lung comets as a nonradiologic sign of extravascular lung water.Am J Cardiol. 2004; 93: 1265-1270
- Can lung comets be counted as “objects”?.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011; 4: 438-439
- On the physical basis of pulmonary Sonographic interstitial syndrome.J Ultrasound Med. 2016; 35: 2075-2086
- Ex vivo lung sonography: morphologic-ultrasound relationship.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2012; 38: 1169-1179
- The comet-tail artifact. An ultrasound sign of alveolar-interstitial syndrome.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997; 156: 1640-1646
- Ultrasound in the management of thoracic disease.Crit Care Med. 2007; 35: S250-61
- Chest sonography: a useful tool to differentiate acute cardiogenic pulmonary edema from acute respiratory distress syndrome.Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2008; 6: 16
- Bedside ultrasound of the lung for the monitoring of acute decompensated heart failure.Am J Emerg Med. 2008; 26: 585-591
- Lung ultrasound for monitoring cardiogenic pulmonary edema.Intern Emerg Med. 2016;
- Bedside lung ultrasound in the evaluation of acute decompensated heart failure.Intern Emerg Med. 2016; 11: 597-601
- Lung ultrasound for the evaluation of pulmonary congestion in outpatients: a comparison with clinical assessment, natriuretic peptides, and echocardiography.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013; 6: 1141-1151
- Echocardiographic assessment of left ventricular relaxation and cardiac filling pressures.Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2009; 6: 154-159
- Inter-rater reliability of quantifying pleural B-lines using multiple counting methods.J Ultrasound Med. 2013; 32: 115-120
- Bedside lung ultrasound in the assessment of alveolar-interstitial syndrome.Am J Emerg Med. 2006; 24: 689-696
- STARD 2015: an updated list of essential items for reporting diagnostic accuracy studies.BMJ. 2015; 351: h5527
- Combination of lung ultrasound (a comet-tail sign) and N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide in differentiating acute heart failure from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma as cause of acute dyspnea in prehospital emergency setting.Crit Care. 2011; 15: R114
- Lung ultrasound for the diagnosis of pneumonia in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Respir Res. 2014; 15: 50
- Prognostic value of extravascular lung water assessed with ultrasound lung comets by chest sonography in patients with dyspnea and/or chest pain.J Card Fail. 2007; 13: 830-835
- Bedside ultrasonography (US), Echoscopy and US point of care as a new kind of stethoscope for internal medicine departments: the training program of the Italian internal medicine society (SIMI).Intern Emerg Med. 2014; 9: 805-814
- Relevance of lung ultrasound in the diagnosis of acute respiratory failure: the BLUE protocol.Chest. 2008; 134: 117-125