- •Evolution under treatment of large-vessel uptakes on repetitive PET/CT is unknown.
- •<20% of patients had total extinction of vascular uptakes under treatment.
- •PET/CT results did not influence therapeutic management in controlled disease.
Patients and methods
Abbreviations:CRP (C-reactive protein), DMARDs (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs), FDG-PET/CT (positron emission tomography with 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) combined with computed tomography (PET/CT)), GC (glucocorticoids), GCA (giant-cell arteritis), TAB (temporal artery biopsy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant-cell arteritis.Lancet. 2008; 372: 234-245
- 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography and the risk of subsequent aortic complications in giant-cell arteritis: a multicenter cohort of 130 patients.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e3851
- Aortic involvement in recent-onset giant cell (temporal) arteritis: a case-control prospective study using helical aortic computed tomodensitometric scan.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 670-676
- Long-term follow-up of upper and lower extremity vasculitis related to giant cell arteritis: a series of 36 patients.Medicine (Baltimore). 2011; 90: 40-51
- Repetitive 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in giant cell arteritis: a prospective study of 35 patients.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 55: 131-137
- Development of aortic aneurysm/dilatation during the followup of patients with giant cell arteritis: a cross-sectional screening of fifty-four prospectively followed patients.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 422-430
- Large vessel involvement in biopsy-proven giant cell arteritis: prospective study in 40 newly diagnosed patients using CT angiography.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2012; 71: 1170-1176
- Large artery involvement in giant cell (temporal) arteritis.Ann. Intern. Med. 1975; 83: 806-812
- Diagnostic performance of (1)F-flurodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in giant cell arteritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging. 2011; 38: 1764-1772
- Positron emission tomography assessment of large vessel inflammation in patients with newly diagnosed, biopsy-proven giant cell arteritis: a prospective, case-control study.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2014; 73: 1388-1392
- Clinical, laboratory, radiological features, and outcome in 26 patients with aortic involvement amongst a case series of 63 patients with giant cell arteritis.Rev. Med. Interne. 2014; 35: 4-15
- Correlation between 18-fluorodeoxyglucose accumulation in large vessels and serological markers of inflammation in polymyalgia rheumatica: a quantitative PET study.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2004; 63: 870-873
- The value of [18F]FDG-PET in the diagnosis of large-vessel vasculitis and the assessment of activity and extent of disease.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging. 2005; 32: 674-681
- Giant-cell arteritis without cranial manifestations: working diagnosisof a distinct disease pattern.Medicine. 2016; 95e3818
- F-18 FDG PET findings of Takayasu arteritis before and after immunosuppressive therapy.Clin. Nucl. Med. 2008; 33: 872-873
- F-18 Fdg PET/CT findings of a patient with Takayasu arteritis before and after therapy.Mol Imaging Radionucl Ther. 2012; 21: 32-34
- Diagnosis and assessment of the treatment response in a case of giant cell arteritis using (18)F-FDG PET/CT.Rev Esp Med Nucl Imagen Mol. 2012; 31: 233-235
- Relationship between fluorodeoxyglucose uptake in the large vessels and late aortic diameter in giant cell arteritis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2008; 47: 1179-1184
- Effect of glucocorticoid treatment on computed tomography angiography detected large-vessel inflammation in giant-cell arteritis. A prospective, longitudinal study.Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94: e486
- MRI and FDG-PET in the assessment of inflammatory aortic arch syndrome in complicated courses of giant cell arteritis.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2008; 67: 1030-1033
- The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of giant cell arteritis.Arthritis Rheum. 1990; 33: 1122-1128
Seror R, Baron G, Hachulla E, Debandt M, Larroche C, Puéchal X, et al. Adalimumab for steroid sparing in patients with giant-cell arteritis: results of a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2013;0:1–8.
- Early diagnosis and follow-up of aortitis with [(18)F]FDG PET and MRI.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging. 2003; 30: 730-736
- Fever of unknown origin as initial manifestation of large vessel giant cell arteritis: diagnosis by colour-coded sonography and 18-FDG-PET.Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 2010; 28: 549-552
- Patterns of extracranial involvement in newly diagnosed giant cell arteritis assessed by physical examination, colour coded duplex sonography and FDG-PET.Vasa. 2011; 40: 219-227
Henes JC, Muller M, Krieger J, Balletshofer B, Pfannenberg AC, Kanz L, et al. [18F] FDG-PET/CT as a new and sensitive imaging method for the diagnosis of large vessel vasculitis. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 2008;26:S47–52.
- Surgical pathology of noninfectious ascending aortitis: a study of 45 cases with emphasis on an isolated variant.Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2006; 30: 1150-1158
- Long-term follow-up of aortic involvement in giant cell arteritis: a series of 48 patients.Medicine (Baltimore). 2009; 88: 182-192
- Giant cell arteritis restricted to the limb arteries: an overlooked clinical entity.Autoimmun. Rev. 2015; 14: 352-357
- Toward an optimal semiquantitative approach in giant cell arteritis: an (18) F-FDG PET/CT case-control study.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging. 2014; 41: 155-166
- Staging the axilla in breast cancer patients with 18F-FDG PET: how small are the metastases that we can detect with new generation clinical PET systems?.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging. 2014; 41: 1103-1112
- Harmonizing FDG PET quantification while maintaining optimal lesion detection: prospective multicentre validation in 517 oncology patients.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging. 2015; 42: 2072-2082
- Harmonizing SUVs in multicentre trials when using different generation PET systems: prospective validation in non-small cell lung cancer patients.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging. 2013; 40: 985-996
- Predicors of cardiovascular hospitalization in giant cell arteritis: effect of statin exposure. A French Population-based.Study J Rheumatol. 2016; 43: 2162-2170
- Statin therapy does not seem to benefit giant cell arteritis.Semin. Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 35: 322-327