- •Anemia is remarkably prevalent in elderly hospitalized internal medicine patients.
- •Anemia correlates with comorbidities, and probably with therapies increasing the risk of bleeding.
- •The presence of anemia independently predicts a longer duration of the hospital stay.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Prevalence of anemia in persons 65 years and older in the United States: evidence for a high rate of unexplained anemia.Blood. 2004; 104: 2263-2268
- The prevalence of anemia and moderate-severe anemia in the US population (NHANES 2003–2012).PLoS One. 2016; 11e0166635
- Prevalence, incidence and types of mild anemia in the elderly: the “Health and Anemia” population-based study.Haematologica. 2010; 95: 1849-1856
- A prospective study of anemia status, hemoglobin concentration, and mortality in an elderly cohort. The Cardiovascular Health Study.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 2214-2220
- Impact of anemia on hospitalization and mortality in older adults.Blood. 2006; 107: 3481-3486
- Anemia in old age is associated with increased mortality and hospitalization.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006; 61: 474-479
- Evaluation and management of anemia in the elderly.Am J Hematol. 2014; 89: 88-96
- Readmission and mortality one year after acute hospitalization in older patients with explained and unexplained anemia – a prospective observational cohort study.BMC Geriatr. 2016; 16: 109
- Prevalence and predictive importance of anemia in Swedish nursing home residents – a longitudinal study.BMC Geriatr. 2016; 16: 206
- What constitutes normal hemoglobin concentrations in community-dwelling older adults?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Jun; 64: 1233-1241
- Anaemia is highly prevalent among internal medicine inpatients and is associated with increased mortality, earlier readmission and more prolonged hospital stay: an observational retrospective cohort study.Intern Med J. 2012; 42: 683-691
- Anemia in elderly hospitalized patients: prevalence and clinical impact.Intern Emerg Med. 2015; 10: 581-586
- Association between hematologic parameters and functional impairment among geriatric inpatients: data of a prospective cross-sectional multicenter study (“GeriPrävalenz2013”).Maturitas. 2016; 90: 37-41
- Anemia and frailty in the elderly hospitalized in an acute unit: preliminary results.Eur J Intern Med. 2017; 38: e8-e9
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- Nutritional anemias.in: Report of a WHO Scientific Group. World Health Organization, Technical Report Series. 40. World Health Organization, Geneva1968
- Anemia status, haemoglobin concentration, and mortality in nursing home older residents.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: 322-327
- Prevalence of anemia in the nursing home: contribution of chronic kidney disease.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 1566-1570
- Anemia: its impact on hospitalization and length of hospital stay in nursing home and community older adults.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 354-359
- Factors associated with anemia in the institutionalized elderly.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0162240
- Anemia in the elderly: a consequence of aging?.Expert Rev Hematol. 2017; 10: 327-335
- Serum interleukin-6 and hemoglobin as physiological correlates in the geriatric syndrome of frailty: a pilot study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 1268–1271: 50
- Understanding how we age: insights into inflammaging.in: Longev Healthspan. 2:8. 2013: 5
- Emerging roles of frailty and inflammaging in risk assessment of age-related chronic diseases in older adults: the intersection between aging biology and personalized medicine.Biomedicine. 2015; 5: 1
- Hepcidin and iron metabolism: from laboratory to clinical implications.Clin Chim Acta. 2010; 411: 1565-1569
- Anemia in the frail, elderly patient.Clin Interv Aging. 2016; 11: 319-326
- Association between inflammatory-related disease burden and frailty: results from the Women's Health and Aging Studies (WHAS) I and II.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2012; 9–15: 54
- Unexplained anaemia in the elderly is characterised by features of low grade inflammation.Br J Haematol. 2014; 167: 265-289
- Erythropoietin levels in elderly patients with anemia of unknown etiology.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0157279
- Chronic idiopathic normocytic anaemia in older people: the risk factors and the role of age-associated renal impairment.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2017; 29: 147-155
- Unexplained anemia in the elderly: potential role of arterial stiffness.Front Physiol. 2016; 7: 485
- Estimating the prevalence of myelodysplastic syndromes in patients with unexplained cytopenias: a retrospective study of 322 bone marrows.Leuk Res. 2009; 33: 1313-1318