- •Curbing proton pump inhibitors (PPI) over-prescription represents a challenge to health care providers.
- •A multifaceted-strategy aimed to optimize PPI prescriptions has been implemented in a hospital network.
- •A significant sustained reduction in new PPI prescriptions was obtained.
- •Further studies are needed to confirm the efficacy of the proposed strategy.
Abbreviations:PPIs (proton pump inhibitors), CM (case mix)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Overprescribing proton pump inhibitors.BMJ. 2008; 336: 2https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39406.449456.BE
- Canadian healthcare network. Top 100 drugs.Pharm Pract. 2013; 2013: 1-25
- Appropriate proton pump inhibitor use among older adults: a retrospective chart review.Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2008; 6: 249-254https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjopharm.2008.12.001
- Longitudinal analysis of the costs associated with inpatient initiation and subsequent outpatient continuation of proton pump inhibitor therapy for stress ulcer prophylaxis in a large managed care organization.J Manag Care Pharm. 2010; 16: 122-129https://doi.org/10.18553/jmcp.2010.16.2.122
- Acid suppressive therapy use on an inpatient internal medicine service.Ann Pharmacother. 2006; 40: 1261-1266https://doi.org/10.1345/aph.1G703
- Assessing the risk of hospital-acquired Clostridium difficile infection with proton pump inhibitor use: a meta-analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 1408-1417https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2016.194
- Proton-pump inhibitors and risk of fractures: an update meta-analysis.Osteoporos Int. 2016; 27: 339-347https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-015-3365-x
- The association between the use of proton pump inhibitors and the risk of hypomagnesemia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 9e112558https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0112558
- Proton pump inhibitors and risk of vitamin and mineral deficiency: evidence and clinical implications.Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2013; 4: 125-133https://doi.org/10.1177/2042098613482484
- Proton pump inhibitor use and risk of chronic kidney disease.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 238-246https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.7193
- Proton pump inhibitors and the risk of acute kidney injury in older patients: a population-based cohort study.CMAJ Open. 2015; 3: E166-71https://doi.org/10.9778/cmajo.20140074
- Proton pump inhibitor usage and the risk of myocardial infarction in the general population.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0124653https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0124653
- Risk of dementia from proton pump inhibitor use in Asian population: a nationwide cohort study in Taiwan.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0171006https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0171006.eCollection 2017
- Gastric carcinoids after long-term use of a proton pump inhibitor.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 36: 644-649https://doi.org/10.1111/apt.12012
- Hospitalist and primary care physician perspectives on medication management of chronic conditions for hospitalized patients.J Hosp Med. 2014; 9: 303-309https://doi.org/10.1002/jhm.2137
- Continuation of proton pump inhibitors from hospital to community.Pharm World Sci. 2006; 28: 189-193https://doi.org/10.1007/s11096-006-9028-4
- Patterns and predictors of proton pump inhibitor overuse among academic and non-academic hospitalists.Intern Med. 2010; 49 ([PMID: 21139293]): 2561-2568
- Magnitude and economic impact of inappropriate use of stress ulcer prophylaxis in non-intensive care unit hospitalized patients.Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101: 2200-2205https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2006.00839.x
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 308-328https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2012.444
- Choosing Wisely.http://choosingwisely.orgDate accessed: March 18, 2017
- The appropriate use of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs): need for a reappraisal. 1.Eur J Intern Med. 2017; 37: 19-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2016.10.007
- Defining “patient-centered medicine”.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 782-783https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1200070
- Case mix use in 25 countries: a migration success but international comparisons failure.Int J Med Inform. 2003; 70: 215-219
- Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.BMJ. Oct 20, 2017; 335: 806-808
http://www.kofam.ch/it/domanda-e-procedura/progetti-non-soggetti-allobbligo-di-autorizzazione/. Accessed 15 June 2016.
- Interventions to improve suboptimal prescribing in nursing homes: a narrative review.Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2010; 8: 183-200
- Combined intervention programme reduces inappropriate prescribing in elderly patients exposed to polypharmacy in primary care.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2009; 65: 199-207
- Effectiveness of a multifaceted intervention for potentially inappropriate prescribing in older patients in primary care: a cluster-randomized controlled trial (OPTI-SCRIPT Study).Ann Fam Med. 2015; 13: 545-553https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1838
- Training physicians to provide high-value, cost-conscious care: a systematic review.JAMA. 2015; 314: 2384-2400https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.16353
- Effectiveness of a multifaceted intervention for potentially inappropriate prescribing in older patients in primary care: a cluster-randomized controlled trial (OPTI-SCRIPT Study).Ann Fam Med. 2015; 13: 545-553
- Proton pump inhibitor prescribing patterns in the UK: a primary care database study.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2016; 25: 1079-1087
- Reduction of inappropriate exit prescriptions for proton pump inhibitors: a before-after study using education paired with a web-based quality-improvement tool.J Hosp Med. 2015; 10: 281-286
- Inappropriate prescribing of proton pump inhibitors in older patients: effects of an educational strategy.Drugs Aging. 2012; 1;29: 681-690
- Effect of a comprehensive multidisciplinary, educational program on the use of antibiotics in a geriatric university hospital.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 112-116
- De-prescribing proton pump inhibitors: evidence-based clinical practice guideline.Can Fam Physician. 2017; 63: 354-364
- Effect of a proton pump inhibitor de-prescribing guideline on drug usage and costs in long-term care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 1;17673.e1-4
- Effectiveness of interventions to de-prescribe inappropriate proton pump inhibitors in older adults.Drugs Aging. 2017; 34: 265-287
- Multimorbidities and overprescription of proton pump inhibitors in older patients.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0141779
- Acute upper GI bleeding: did anything change? Time trend analysis of incidence and outcome of acute upper GI bleeding between 1993/1994 and 2000.Am J Gastroenterol. 2003; 98: 1494-1499
- Aging, the gastrointestinal tract, and risk of acid-related disease.Am J Med. 2004; 6: 8S-13S
- Acid-related disorders in the elderly.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2009; 23: 839-848
- ACCF/ACG/AHA 2010 expert consensus document on the concomitant use of proton pump inhibitors and thienopyridines: a focused update of the ACCF/ACG/AHA 2008 expert consensus document on reducing the gastrointestinal risks of antiplatelet therapy and NSAID use.Am J Gastroenterol. 2010; 105: 2533-2549