- •Unexplained falls in dementia patients may mask a syncopal event (syncopal fall).
- •Precipitating factors (e.g. postural change during the event) predict syncopal fall.
- •Benzodiazepines and insulin predict non-syncopal origin of unexplained falls.
- •A clinical score might aid in discriminating syncopal from non-syncopal falls.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Geriatric syndromes: clinical, research, and policy implications of a core geriatric concept.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007 May; 55: 780-791
- The role of cognitive impairment in fall risk among older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Age Ageing. 2012 May; 41: 299-308
- Hospitalization in community-dwelling persons with Alzheimer's disease: frequency and causes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010 Aug; 58: 1542-1548
- Incidence and prediction of falls in dementia: a prospective study in older people.PLoS One. 2009; 4e5521
- Carotid sinus syndrome: a modifiable risk factor for nonaccidental falls in older adults (SAFE PACE).J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001 Nov 1; 38: 1491-1496
- Recent syncope and unexplained falls are associated with poor cognitive performance.Age Ageing. 2015 Mar; 44: 282-286
- Clinical aspects and diagnostic relevance of neuroautonomic evaluation in patients with unexplained falls.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2014 Feb; 26: 33-37
- Differential diagnosis between 'unexplained' fall and syncopal fall: a difficult or impossible task.J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2015 Feb; 16: 82-89
- Dementia medications and risk of falls, syncope, and related adverse events: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Jun; 59: 1019-1031
- Etiology of syncope and unexplained falls in elderly patients with dementia. Syncope and dementia (SYD) study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Aug; 64: 1567-1573
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders.Fourth Edition. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC2000 (Text Revision)
- Study of illness in the aged. The index of ADL: a standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function.JAMA. 1963; 185: 914-919
- Assessment of older people: self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living.Gerontologist. 1969; 9: 179-186
- “Mini mental state”: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): recent evidence and development of a shorter version.Clin Gerontol. 1986; 5: 165-172
- Validation of the Cumulative Illness Rating Scale (CIRS) in hospitalized nonagenarians.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2007; 44: 29-36
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of syncope (version 2009).Eur Heart J. 2009; 30: 2631-2671
- Amnesia for loss of consciousness in carotid sinus syndrome: implications for presentation with falls.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Jun 7; 45 (184*0-3)
- Diabetes medications related to an increased risk of falls and fall-related morbidity in the elderly.Ann Pharmacother. 2010 Apr; 44 (Epub 2010 Mar 9): 712-717https://doi.org/10.1345/aph.1M551
- Psychotropic medications and risk for falls among community-dwelling frail older people: an observational study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005 May; 60: 622-626
- Psychotropic drugs and falls in the elderly people: updated literature review and meta-analysis.J Aging Health. 2011 Mar; 23: 329-346
- Potentially inappropriate medication use among patients with Alzheimer disease in the REAL.FR cohort: be aware of atropinic and benzodiazepine drugs!.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Aug; 69: 1589-1597
- Syncope and its consequences in patients with dementia receiving cholinesterase inhibitors: a population-based cohort study.Arch Intern Med. 2009 May 11; 169: 867-873
- Gait disorders are associated with non-cardiovascular falls in elderly people: a preliminary study.BMC Geriatr. 2005 Dec 1; 5: 15
- Multifactorial intervention after a fall in older people with cognitive impairment and dementia presenting to the accident and emergency department: randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2003 Jan 11; 326: 73
- Summary of the updated American Geriatrics Society/British Geriatrics Society clinical practice guideline for prevention of falls in older persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Jan; 59: 148-157