- •Light's criteria miscategorize about 30% of cardiac effusions as “exudates”.
- •A simple scoring system accurately identify these false cardiac exudates.
- •The new scoring system is applicable when natriuretic peptide data are lacking.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Solving the Light's criteria misclassification rate of cardiac and hepatic transudates.Respirology. 2012; 17: 721-726
- Unilateral pleural effusions with more than one apparent etiology. A prospective observational study.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016; 13: 1050-1056
- The Light criteria: the beginning and why they are useful 40 years later.Clin Chest Med. 2013; 34: 21-26
- Pleural effusions: the diagnostic separation of transudates and exudates.Ann Intern Med. 1972; 77: 507-513
- 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: the Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2129-2200
- Pleural effusions from congestive heart failure.Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2010; 31: 689-697
- Identifying transudates misclassified by Light's criteria.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2013; 19: 362-367
- Pleural ultrasound for clinicians.Rev Clin Esp. 2016; 216: 427-435
- Measurement of pro-brain natriuretic peptide in pleural fluid for the diagnosis of pleural effusions due to heart failure.Am J Med. 2004; 116: 417-420
- Comparing serum and pleural fluid pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) levels with pleural-to-serum albumin gradient for the identification of cardiac effusions misclassified by Light's criteria.Respirology. 2007; 12: 654-659
- Biomarkers of heart failure in pleural fluid.Chest. 2009; 136: 671-677
- Etiology of pleural effusions: analysis of more than 3,000 consecutive thoracenteses.Arch Bronconeumol. 2014; 50: 161-165
- Is it meaningful to use biochemical parameters to discriminate between transudative and exudative pleural effusions?.Chest. 2002; 122: 1524-1529
☆Authors have no conflict of interests to disclose.