- •Treatment of scH is associated with mortality in individuals >65 years old.
- •Use of iron salts in patients with scH treated with LT4 increases the association between treatment and mortality.
- •Excess mortality in patients treated with LT4 is not caused by atrial fibrillation or femoral fractures.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Thyroid status, disability and cognitive function, and survival in old age.JAMA. 2004; 292: 2591-2599
- Subclinical hypothyroidism and the risk of coronary heart disease and mortality.JAMA. 2010; 304: 1365-1374
- Persistent subclinical hypothyroidism and cardiovascular risk in the elderly: the cardiovascular health study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: 533-540
- Thyroid function and mortality in older men: a prospective study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 97: 862-870
- Subclinical thyroid disease and mortality in the elderly–a retrospective cohort study.Am J Med. 2015; 129: 423-430
- Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the risk of heart failure in older persons at high cardiovascular risk.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 97: 852-861
- Impact of subclinical hypothyroidism on serum total homocysteine concentrations, the prevalence of coronary heart disease (CHD), and CHD risk factors in the New Mexico Elder Health Survey.Thyroid. 2003; 13: 595-600
- Does treatment with l-thyroxine influence health status in middle-aged and older adults with subclinical hypothyroidism?.J Gen Intern Med. 1996; 11: 744-749
- Subclinical hypothyroidism is mild thyroid failure and should be treated.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86: 4585-4590
- TSH-controlled l-thyroxine therapy reduces cholesterol levels and clinical symptoms in subclinical hypothyroidism: a double blind, placebo-controlled trial (Basel Thyroid Study).J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86: 4860-4866
- Levothyroxine treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism, fatal and nonfatal cardiovascular events, and mortality.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 811-817
- Thyroid hormone therapy for older adults with subclinical hypothyroidism.N Engl J Med. 2017; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1603825
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8
- When thyroid hormone replacement is ineffective?.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2013; 20: 467-477
- Biochemical testing of thyroid function.Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 1997; 26: 763-775
- Compliance of general practitioners with guideline-based decision support system for ordering blood tests.Clin Chem. 2002; 48: 9-10
- Thyroxine.in: Kaplan L.A. Pesce A.J. Clinical chemistry: theory, analysis and correlation. 2nd ed. CV Mosby, St. Luis1989: 956-959
- Thyroid status, cardiovascular risk, and mortality in older adults.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1033-1041
- Subclinical and overt thyroid dysfunction and risk of all-cause mortality and cardiovascular events: a large population study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 2372-2382
- Subclinical hypothyroidism and survival: the effects of heart failure and race.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: 2326-2336
- Elevated TSH in adults treated for hypothyroidism is associated with increased mortality.Eur J Endocrinol. 2017; 176 ([Epub 2016 Oct 19]): 57-66
- A 6-month randomized trial of thyroxine treatment in women with mild subclinical hypothyroidism.Am J Med. 2002; 112: 348-354
- Subclinical thyroid disease: scientific review and guidelines for diagnosis and management.JAMA. 2004; 291: 228-238
- Low serum thyrotropin (thyroid-stimulating hormone) in older persons without hyperthyroidism.Arch Intern Med. 1991; 151: 165-168
☆All authors had access to the data and a role in the writing of the manuscript.