- •Medical use of cannabis is still controversial and different between countries.
- •Herbal cannabis is not authorized by the main regulatory agencies.
- •23 European countries authorize cannabinoid-based medicines.
- •Four countries and many states in the United States authorized herbal cannabis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- High points: an historical geography of Cannabis.Geogr. Rev. 2014; 104: 414-438https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1931-0846.2014.12038.x
Aggarwal SK, Carter GT, Sullivan MD, ZumBrunnen C, Morrill R, Mayer JD. Medicinal use of cannabis in the United States: historical perspectives, current trends, and future directions. J. Opioid Manag. n.d.;5:153–68.
Rica C. Final Act of the United Nations Conference for the Adoption of a Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs n.d.
- EMCDDA Monographs. A cannabis reader: global issues and local experiences.(Available from:)
United Nations. Final Act of the United Nations Conference for the Adoption of a Protocol on Psychotropic Substances, 1971. Available from: https://www.unodc.org/pdf/convention_1971_en.pdf n.d.
- Medicinal Cannabis and Derivatives - A Legal Analysis of the Options, Their Limitations, and Current Practice in the EU.Eur Leg Database Drugs, 2002: 1-35
- Pharmacology and effects of cannabis: a brief review.Br. J. Psychiatry. 2001; 178: 101-106
- The Cannabis sativa versus Cannabis indica debate: an interview with Ethan Russo, MD.Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2016; 1: 44-46https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2015.29003.ebr
- A chemotaxonomic analysis of cannabinoid variation in Cannabis (Cannabaceae).Am. J. Bot. 2004; 91: 966-975https://doi.org/10.3732/ajb.91.6.966
- Early phytocannabinoid chemistry to endocannabinoids and beyond.Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2014; 15: 757-764https://doi.org/10.1038/nrn3811
- Medicinal chemistry of cannabinoids.Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 2015; 97: 553-558https://doi.org/10.1002/cpt.115
- Drugs and devices: comparison of European and U.S. approval processes.JACC Basic Transl. Sci. 2016; 1: 399-412https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacbts.2016.06.003
Jill Kieffer, European medicines agency representative (personal communication, October 2nd 2017). n.d.
FDA. Public Health Focus - FDA and Marijuana: Questions and Answers n.d. https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/publichealthfocus/ucm421168.htm (accessed October 4, 2017).
FDA. Public Health Focus - FDA and Marijuana n.d. https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm421163.htm (accessed October 5, 2017).
- Cesamet FDA Approval.https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2006/018677s011lbl.pdfDate: 2006Date accessed: October 4, 2017
- MARINOL® FDA Approval.https://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/05n0479/05N-0479-emc0004-04.pdfDate: 2004Date accessed: October 4, 2017
- SYNDROS FDA Approval.https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/205525s000lbl.pdfDate: 2016Date accessed: October 4, 2017
- Public Law: The Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970.. 1970; 27 (Available from:)
- Mapping medical marijuana: state laws regulating patients, product safety, supply chains and dispensaries, 2017.Addiction. 2017; 112: 2206-2216https://doi.org/10.1111/add.13910
- U.S. Epidemiology of Cannabis Use and Associated Problems.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017; : npp2017198https://doi.org/10.1038/npp.2017.198
State of Florida. Constitutional amendment petition form. Available from: http://dos.elections.myflorida.com/initiatives/fulltext/pdf/50438-3.pdf. n.d.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Executive Office of Health and Human Services, Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Care Safety and Quality, Medical Use of Marijuana Program. Guidance for Physicians Regarding the Medical Use of Marijuana n.d. https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2016/07/rw/physician-guidance-2015-06-09.pdf (accessed November 20, 2017).
State of New-York. Practitioner Information for the Medical Marijuana Program n.d. https://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/medical_marijuana/practitioner/ (accessed November 20, 2017).
- 29 Legal medical marijuana states and DC. ProCon.org.(n.p.)
- Medical use of cannabis products: lessons to be learned from Israel and Canada.Schmerz. 2016; 30: 3-13https://doi.org/10.1007/s00482-015-0083-4
Canada Ministry of Justice - Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations. Available from: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/SOR-2016-230.pdf. n.d.
Health Canada. Understanding the New Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations - Canada.ca n.d. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/drugs-health-products/understanding-new-access-to-cannabis-for-medical-purposes-regulations.html?_ga=2.160051705.575108858.1511160845-1024719169.1511160845 (accessed November 21, 2017).
Health Canada. Fact Sheet - SATIVEX - Canada.ca n.d. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/drug-products/notice-compliance/conditions/fact-sheet-sativex.html (accessed November 21, 2017).
Health Canada. Information for Health Care Professionals: Cannabis (marihuana, marijuana) and the cannabinoids [Health Canada, 2013] - Canada.ca n.d. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medical-use-marijuana/information-medical-practitioners/information-health-care-professionals-cannabis-marihuana-marijuana-cannabinoids.html (accessed November 21, 2017).