- •AECOPDs accounts for 0.5% of ED visits in Italy.
- •Patients attending the ED for an AECOPD are old and frequently affected by several comorbidities.
- •The majority of patients are admitted, and costs are high.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Severe acute exacerbations and mortality in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Thorax. 2005; 60: 925-931https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2005.040527
- The prevalence of asthma and COPD in Italy: a practice-based study.Respir Med. 2011; 105: 386-391https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2010.09.022
- Epidemiology of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a literature review.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2012; 7: 457-494https://doi.org/10.2147/COPD.S32330
- The burden of COPD in Italy: results from the confronting COPD survey.Respir. Med. 2003; 97: S43-50
- The REporting of studies Conducted using Observational Routinely-collected health Data (RECORD) statement.PLoS Med. 2015; 12e1001885https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001885
- Predicting the need for mechanical ventilation in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: comparing the CURB-65 and BAP-65 scores.J Crit Care. 2012; 27: 564-570https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2012.02.015
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Tips for learners of evidence-based medicine: 3. Measures of observer variability (kappa statistic).CMAJ. 2004; 171: 1369-1373https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1031981
- Ministero della Salute.2007 (Accessed 09/14/2017 2017)
- Global Strategy for the Diagnosis,Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) 2014.http://goldcopd.org/(Accessed 01/20/2015)Date: 2014
- Accuracy of electronically reported “meaningful use” clinical quality measures: a cross-sectional study.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 77-83https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-2-201301150-00001
- New strains of bacteria and exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 465-471https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa012561
From the Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of COPD, Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) 2017. (2017). http://goldcopd.org/gold-2017-global-strategy-diagnosis-management-prevention-copd/.
- Management of COPD exacerbations.Am Fam Physician. 2010; 81: 607-613
- Emergency department management of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the elderly: the Multicenter Airway Research Collaboration.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 908-916
- A framework for evaluation of secondary data sources for epidemiological research.Int J Epidemiol. 1996; 25: 435-442
- The answer is 17 years, what is the question: understanding time lags in translational research.J R Soc Med. 2011; 104: 510-520https://doi.org/10.1258/jrsm.2011.110180
- Management and prevention of exacerbations of COPD.BMJ. 2014; 349g5237https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g5237
- Doctor-patient relationship: a resource to improve respiratory diseases management.Eur J Intern Med. 2012; 23: 442-446https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2012.04.004