- •Improved glucose control during admission was associated with a significant reduction of one year mortality rates.
- •Adequate long term diabetes control wasn’t associated with reduced length of hospital stay or rate of readmissions.
- •Adequate diabetes control during hospitalization didn’t affect the length of hospital stay or the rate of readmission.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Study (UKPDS) GroupIntensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33).Lancet. 1998; 352: 837-853
- Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 580-591
- 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1577-1589
- Standards of medical care in diabetes–2012.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: S11-S63
- Management of hyperglycaemia in type 2 diabetes: a patient-centered approach. Position statement of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 1577-1596
- Intensive glycemic control in the ACCORD and ADVANCE trials.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2630-2633
- The diabetic foot: grand overview, epidemiology and pathogenesis. Diabetes Metabol.Res Rev. 2008; 24: S3-S6
- Complexity of factors related to outcome of neuropathic and neuroischaemic/ischaemic diabetic foot ulcers: a cohort study.Diabetologia. 2009; 52: 398-407
- High prevalence of ischaemia, infection and serious comorbidity in patients with diabetic foot disease in Europe. Baseline results from the Eurodiale study.Diabetologia. 2007; 50: 18-25
- The impact of metabolic control and QTc prolongation on all-cause mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes and foot ulcers.Diabetologia. 2013; 56: 1140-1147
- Association between hyper- and hypoglycaemia and 2 year all-cause mortality risk in diabetic patients with acute coronary events.Eur Heart J. 2005; 26: 1255-1261
- No association between hemoglobin A1c and in-hospital mortality in patients with diabetes and acute myocardial infarction.Am Heart J. 2011; 2011: 657-663
- Epidemiologic relationships between A1C and all-cause mortality during a median 3.4-year follow-up of glycemic treatment in the ACCORD trial.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 983-990
- Mortality from coronary heart disease and stroke in relation to degree of glycaemia: the Whitehall study.BMJ (Clin Res Ed). 1983; 287: 867-870
- The relationship between glucose and incident cardiovascular events. A meta-regression analysis of published data from 20 studies of 95,783 individuals followed for 12.4 years.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 233-240
- In-hospital prognosis of patients with fasting hyperglycaemia after first myocardial infarction.Diabetes Care. 1991; 14: 758-760
- Hyperglycemia: an independent marker of in-hospital mortality in patients with undiagnosed diabetes.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002; 87: 978-982
- Admission glucose and mortality in elderly patients hospitalized with acute myocardial infarction: implications for patients with and without recognized diabetes.Circulation. 2005; 111: 3078-3086
- Benefits and risks of tight glucose control in critically ill adults: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2008; 300: 933-944
- Structural alterations in subcutaneous small arteries of normotensive and hypertensive patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.Circulation. 2001; 103: 1238-1244
- Advanced glycosylation end products in tissue and the biochemical basis of diabetic complications.N Engl J Med. 1998; 318: 1315-1321
- Insulin induces upregulation of vascular AT1 receptor gene expression by posttranscriptional mechanisms.Circulation. 1998; 98: 2453-2460
- Insulin action in vascular endothelium: potential mechanisms linking insulin resistance with hypertension.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2000; 2: 285-292
- Infections in diabetic patients - a two year experience from the Diabetic Foot Unit at Wolfson Medical Center.Harefuah. 2008; 147: 197-199
- A multi-disciplinary approach to diabetic foot patients - an organizational model for the treatment of leg complications in diabetic patients.Harefuah. 2011; 150: 593-595
- Standards of medical care in diabetes–2010.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: S11-S61
- Management of hyperglycemia in hospitalized patients in non-critical care setting: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 97: 16-38
- Diabetes care in the hospital: is there clinical inertia?.J Hosp Med. 2006; 1: 151-160
- Evaluation fo hospital glycemic control at US academic medical centers.J Hosp Med. 2009; 4: 35-44