- •Up-to-date epidemiological data on PCC/sPGL are lacking.
- •The incidence rate of PCC/sPGL has increased significantly during the past two decades.
- •This rise in incidence rate is accompanied by a reduction in tumor size and a higher age at diagnosis.
- •The observed epidemiological changes are most likely the result of more intensified use of better diagnostics.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Phaeochromocytoma.Lancet. 2005; 366: 665-675
- Update on tumours of the adrenal cortex, phaeochromocytoma and extra-adrenal paraganglioma.Histopathology. 2011; 58: 155-168
- Pathology and genetics: tumours of endocrine organs (IARC WHO classification of tumours).IARC Press, Lyon, France2004
- Is the excess cardiovascular morbidity in pheochromocytoma related to blood pressure or to catecholamines?.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: 1100-1106
- Pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 1915-1942
- Mayo Clin Proc. 1981; 56: 354-360
- Use of diagnostic imaging studies and associated radiation exposure for patients enrolled in large integrated health care systems, 1996–2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2400-2409
- The influence of population aging and size on the number of CT examinations in The Netherlands.Health Phys. 2014; 107: 80-82
- Ordering pattern and performance of biochemical tests for diagnosing pheochromocytoma between 2000 and 2008.Endocr Pract. 2009; 15: 313-321
- Accuracy of plasma free metanephrines in the diagnosis of pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Endocr Pract. 2017; 13 (in press). (doi: 10.4158)
- Diagnostic imaging over the last 50 years: research and development in medical imaging science and technology.Phys Med Biol. 2006; 51: 5-27
- History and future technical innovation in positron emission tomography.J Med Imaging. 2017; 4 (Bellingham). in press. (doi: 10.1117)
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: 264-269
- Oxford centre for evidence-based medicine-levels of evidence.(Available from)http:/www.cebm.net/oxford-centre-evidence-based-medicine-levels-evidence-march-2009/(Accessed March 4, 2017)Date: March 2009
- Pathology databanking and biobanking in The Netherlands, a central role for PALGA, the nationwide histopathology and cytopathology data network and archive.Cell Oncol. 2007; 29: 19-24
- Metastatic paraganglioma.Semin Oncol. 2010; 37: 627-637
- Primary spinal paragangliomas: a clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study of 30 cases.Histopathology. 1997; 31: 167-173
- Revision of the European standardized population. Report of Eurostat's task force.Eurostat's, 2013 (2013; Available from)http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/3859598/5926869/KS-RA-13-028-EN.PDF/e713fa79-1add-44e8-b23d-5e8fa09b3f8f
- Pheochromocytoma in Sweden 1958–1981. An analysis of the national cancer registry data.Acta Med Scand. 1986; 220: 225-232
- The incidence rate of phaeochromocytoma and Conn's syndrome in Denmark, 1977–1981.J Hum Hypertens. 1988; 3: 187-189
- The incidence of phaeochromocytoma in the Netherlands.Acta Med Scand. 1964; 176: 583-593
- The increase in thyroid cancer incidence during the last four decades is accompanied by a high frequency of BRAF mutations and a sharp increase in RAS mutations.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 276-285
- Worldwide increasing incidence of thyroid cancer: update on epidemiology and risk factors.J Cancer Epidemiol. 2013; (doi: 10.1155)965212
- Comprehensive molecular characterization of pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma.Cancer Cell. 2017; 31: 181-193
- The vanishing nonforensic autopsy.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 873-875
- Academic autopsies in Brazil—a national survey.Rev Assoc Med Bras. 2014; 60: 145-150
- Autopsy rates in the Netherlands: 35 years of decline.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0178200
- The slow death of autopsies: a retrospective analysis of the autopsy prevalence rate in Austria from 1990 to 2009.Eur J Epidemiol. 2012; 27: 577-580
- Autopsy of adult patients deceased in an academic hospital: considerations of doctors and next-of-kin in the consent process.PLoS One. 2016; 11 (doi: 10.1371)e0163811
- Incidence and survival of neuroendocrine tumours in the Netherlands according to histological grade: experience of two decades of cancer registry.Eur J Cancer. 2013; 49: 1975-1983
- Exploring the rising incidence of neuroendocrine tumors: a population-based analysis of epidemiology, metastatic presentation, and outcomes.Cancer. 2015; 121: 589-597
- Trends in the incidence, prevalence, and survival outcomes in patients with neuroendocrine tumors in the United States.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: 135-1342
- Medical and surgical evaluation and treatment of adrenal incidentalomas.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 2004-2015
- A survey on adrenal incidentaloma in Italy. Study Group on Adrenal Tumors of the Italian Society of Endocrinology.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 637-644
- Frequent incidental discovery of phaeochromocytoma: data from a German cohort of 201 phaeochromocytoma.Eur J Endocrinol. 2009; 161: 355-361
- Comparison of CT findings in symptomatic and incidentally discovered pheochromocytomas.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005; 185: 684-688
- Pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma pathogenesis: learning from genetic heterogeneity.Nat Rev Cancer. 2014; 14: 108-119
- Consensus Statement on next-generation-sequencing-based diagnostic testing of hereditary phaeochromocytomas and paragangliomas.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2017; 13: 233-247
- Per-operative hemodynamic instability in normotensive patients with incidentally discovered pheochromocytomas.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 100: 417-421