- •Modified comprehensive geriatric care (CGC) model was evaluated in an RCT.
- •The CGC was performed by geriatrician in an outpatient rehabilitation unit.
- •The CGC had no effect on the utilization of the secondary healthcare.
- •The CGC reduced the primary healthcare use and improved the patient's quality of life.
- •A physician should be on site at an outpatient community rehabilitation unit.
Abbreviations:ADL (activities of daily living), CCI (Charlson Comorbidity Index), CI (confidence interval), CGA (comprehensive geriatric assessment), CGC (comprehensive geriatric care), DL (Depression List), IG (intervention group), CG (control group), GP (general practitioner), HR (hazard ratio), ED (emergency department), IRR (incidence rate ratio), ITT (intention-to-treat), IQR (interquartile range), MBI (Modified Barthel-100 Index), MMSE (Mini-Mental State Examination), OR (odds ratio), OQoL (overall quality of life), RCT (randomized controlled trial), SD (standard deviation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- “Elderly population” (indicator).2014https://doi.org/10.1787/8d805ea1-en (Accessed on 02 July 2016)
- Epidemiology of multimorbidity and implications for health care, research, and medical education: a cross-sectional study.Lancet. 2012; 380: 37-43
- Proportion of hospital readmissions deemed avoidable: a systematic review.CMAJ. 2011; 183: E391-402
- Loss of independence in activities of daily living in older adults hospitalized with medical illnesses: increased vulnerability with age.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 451-458
- A randomized, controlled trial of a geriatric assessment unit in a community rehabilitation hospital.N Engl J Med. 1990; 322: 1572-1578
- Contacts to the emergency department by elderly patients referred to a rehabilitation unit.Eur Geriatr Med. 2012; 3: S70
- Comprehensive geriatric care versus standard care for elderly referred to a rehabilitation unit — a randomized controlled trial.J Aging Res Clin Practice. 2017; 6: 40-47
- Impacts of geriatric evaluation and management programs on defined outcomes: overview of the evidence.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39 (discussion 17S–18S): 8S-16S
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment: a meta-analysis of controlled trials.Lancet. 1993; 342: 1032-1036
- The influence of outpatient comprehensive geriatric assessment on survival: a meta-analysis.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2004; 39: 245-254
- A randomized clinical trial of outpatient comprehensive geriatric assessment coupled with an intervention to increase adherence to recommendations.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 269-276
- A randomized clinical trial of outpatient geriatric evaluation and management.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 351-359
- Three decades of comprehensive geriatric assessment: evidence coming from different healthcare settings and specific clinical conditions.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 192.e1-192.e11
- STOPP (Screening Tool of Older Persons' potentially inappropriate Prescriptions): application to acutely ill elderly patients and comparison with Beers' criteria.Age Ageing. 2008; 37: 673-679
- STOPP (Screening Tool of Older Person's Prescriptions) and START (Screening Tool to Alert doctors to Right Treatment). Consensus validation.Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2008; 46: 72-83
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Improving the sensitivity of the Barthel Index for stroke rehabilitation.J Clin Epidemiol. 1989; 42: 703-709
- Finding a useful conceptual basis for enhancing the quality of life of nursing home residents.Qual Life Res. 2004; 13: 611-624
- Measurement of overall quality of life in nursing homes through self-report: the role of cognitive impairment.Qual Life Res. 2007; 16: 1029-1037
- Overall Quality of Life (OQoL) questionnaire in frail elderly: a study of reproducibility and responsiveness of the Depression List (DL).Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2015; 60: 22-27
- Maintaining independence in older people.Rev Clin Gerontol. 2010; 20: 128-153
- Effect of preventive health screening on long-term primary health care utilization. A randomized controlled trial.Fam Pract. 2005; 22: 242-248
- General health screenings to improve cardiovascular risk profiles: a randomized controlled trial in general practice with 5-year follow-up.J Fam Pract. 2002; 51: 546-552
- Development and delivery of patient treatment in the Trondheim Hip Fracture Trial. A new geriatric in-hospital pathway for elderly patients with hip fracture.BMC Res Notes. 2012; 5 (355-0500-5-355)
- Comprehensive geriatric care for patients with hip fractures: a prospective, randomised, controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1623-1633
- Treating individuals 2. Subgroup analysis in randomised controlled trials: importance, indications, and interpretation.Lancet. 2005; 365: 176-186
- Prevalence and characteristics of interventional trials conducted exclusively in elderly persons: a cross-sectional analysis of registered clinical trials.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0155948
- Underrepresentation of elderly people in randomised controlled trials. The example of trials of 4 widely prescribed drugs.PLoS One. 2012; 7e33559
- Eligibility criteria of randomized controlled trials published in high-impact general medical journals: a systematic sampling review.JAMA. 2007; 297: 1233-1240
- Can health screening damage your health?.J R Coll Gen Pract. 1989; 39: 193-195
- Doctor shopping: a phenomenon of many themes.Innov Clin Neurosci. 2012; 9: 42-46
- Complex interventions to improve physical function and maintain independent living in elderly people: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2008; 371: 725-735
- Medical care for the final years of life: “when you're 83, it's not going to be 20 years”.JAMA. 2009; 302: 2686-2694
- Costs and effects of an ambulatory geriatric unit (the AGe-FIT study): a randomized controlled trial.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 497-503
- Long-term evaluation of the ambulatory geriatric assessment: a frailty intervention trial (AGe-FIT): clinical outcomes and total costs after 36 months.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 263-268