- •It is very important to ensure an adequate empirical therapy in patients with bacteremia due to Gram-negative bacilli
- •We assessed the independent risk factors for bacteremia caused by a resistant strain.
- •We developed a score for a bedside estimation of the risk of multidrug-resistant etiology.
- •The score is an easy instrument to guide the decision of the most appropriate initial antibiotic therapy strain in septic patients.
Abbreviations:BSI (bloodstream infections), CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), CRE (carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae), ESBL (extended-spectrum β-lactamases), GFR (glomerular filtration rate), GNB (Gram-negative bacilli), IQR (interquartile ranges), LTCF (long-term care facility), K/DOQI (Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative), LR (likelihood ratios), MDR (multidrug-resistant), OR (odds ratio), ROC (receiver operating characteristic), SD (standard deviation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Variations in organism-specific severe sepsis mortality in the United States: 1999-2008.Crit Care Med. 2015; 43: 65-77
- The health and economic burden of bloodstream infections caused by antimicrobial-susceptible and non-susceptible Enterobacteriaceae and Staphylococcus aureus in European hospitals, 2010 and 2011: a multicentre retrospective cohort study.Euro Surveill. 2016; 2130319
- ESCMID guidelines for the management of the infection control measures to reduce transmission of multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria in hospitalized patients.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2014; : 1:1-55
- Surveillance and management of multidrug-resistant microorganisms.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2011; 9: 653-679
- Spotlight on ceftazidime/avibactam: a new option for MDR gram-negative infections.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016; 71: 2713-2722
- Predictors of outcome in ICU patients with septic shock caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing K. pneumoniae.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016; 22: 444-450
- Treating infections caused by carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2014; 20: 862-872
- Predictors of 30-day mortality among patients with Pseudomonas aeruginosa bloodstream infections: impact of delayed appropriate antibiotic selection.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007; 51: 3510-3515
- Clinical and microbiological implications of time-to-positivity of blood cultures in patients with gram-negative bacilli bacteremia.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013; 32: 955-959
- Rapid identification and susceptibility testing using the VITEK 2 system using culture fluids from positive BacT/ALERT blood cultures.J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2008; 41: 259-264
- Mass spectrometry applications in microbiology beyond microbe identification: progress and potential.Expert Rev Proteomics. 2016; 14: 1-13
- Clinical features, short-term mortality, and prognostic risk factors of septic patients admitted to internal medicine units: results of an Italian multicenter prospective study.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95e2124
- CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 309-332
- K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification, and stratification.Am J Kidney Dis. 2002; 39: S1-266
- Clinical practice guideline for the use of antimicrobial agents in neutropenic patients with cancer: 2010 update by the infectious diseases society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: e56-93
CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/.../17pscnosinfdef_current.pdf.
- Prognostic value of early warning scores in the emergency department (ED) and acute medical unit (AMU): a narrative review.Eur J Intern Med. 2017; 45: 20-31
- Health care associated bloodstream infections in adults: a reason to change the accepted definition of community-acquired infections.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 137: 791-797
- Multidrug-resistant, extensively drug-resistant and pandrug-resistant bacteria: an international expert proposal for interim standard definitions for acquired resistance.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012; 18: 268-281
- Individualizing risk of multidrug-resistant pathogens in community-onset pneumonia.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0119528
- Duration of hypotension before initiation of effective antimicrobial therapy is the critical determinant of survival in human septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: 1589-1596
- Bloodstream infections caused by antibiotic-resistant gram-negative bacilli: risk factors for mortality and impact of inappropriate initial antimicrobial therapy on outcome.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005; 49: 760-766
- Identification of molds by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry.J Clin Microbiol. 2017; 55: 369-379
- Simplifying likelihood ratios.J Gen Intern Med. 2002; 17: 646-649
- Emerging technologies for rapid identification of bloodstream pathogens.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: 272-278
- Development of a rapid reverse blot hybridization assay for detection of clinically relevant antibiotic resistance genes in blood cultures testing positive for gram-negative bacteria.Front Microbiol. 2017; 8: 185
- A new rapid method for direct antimicrobial susceptibility testing of bacteria from positive blood cultures.BMC Microbiol. 2016; 16: 185
- Multidrug-resistant gram-negative bloodstream infections among residents of long-term care facilities.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 519-526
- Prevalence of multidrug-resistant organisms and risk factors for carriage in long-term care facilities: a nested case-control study.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014; 69: 1972-1980
- Strategies and challenges of antimicrobial stewardship in long-term care facilities.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2015; 21: 10-19
- Report on point prevalence survey of antimicrobial prescription in European nursing homes.(Available from:)http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/activities/surveillance/ESAC-Net/publicationsDate: 2009Date accessed: January 15, 2018
- Outbreak of multiply resistant enterobacteriaceae in an intensive care unit: epidemiology and risk factors for acquisition.Clin Infect Dis. 1996; 22: 430-436
- A 5-year epidemiological study of extended spectrum b-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates in a medium- and long stay neurological unit.J Appl Microbiol. 2000; 88: 504-511