- •Renal dysfunction is an independent predictor of mortality in patients with stroke.
- •The novel Full Age Spectrum equations are superior markers of renal function.
- •Cystatin C based equation is better predictor of mortality than creatinine based.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2095-2128
- Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1296-1305
- Ischaemic stroke – impact of renal dysfunction on in-hospital mortality.Eur J Neurol. 2007; 14: 1351-1356
- Chronic kidney disease and risk of death during hospitalization for stroke.J Neurol Sci. 2011; 301: 46-50
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate; CKD-EPI (chronic kidney disease epidemiology collaboration).Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- An estimated glomerular filtration rate equation for the full age spectrum.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2016; 31: 798-806
- Serum cystatin C as an endogenous marker of renal function: a review.Clin Chem Lab Med. 1999; 37: 389-395
- Serum cystatin C as a new marker for noninvasive estimation of glomerular filtration rate and as a marker for early renal impairment.Am J Kidney Dis. 2000; 36: 29-34
- Serum cystatin C in patients with myeloma.Clin Chim Acta. 2001; 309: 1-6
- Impact of thyroid dysfunction on serum cystatin C.Kidney Int. 2003; 63: 1944-1947
- Effects of glucocorticoid immunosuppresion on serum cystatin C concentrations in renal transplant patients.Clin Chem. 2001; 47: 2055-2059
- Serum cystatin C is superior to serum creatinine as a marker of kidney function: a meta-analysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2002; 40: 221-226
- Cystatin C and the risk of death and cardiovascular events among elderly persons.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 2049-2060
- Cystatin C, albuminuria, and mortality among older adults with diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 1833-1838
- Cystatin C, creatinine, estimated glomerular filtration, and long-term mortality in stroke patients.Ren Fail. 2014; 36: 81-86
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate for the full age spectrum from serum creatinine and cystatin C.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017; 32: 497-507
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine and cystatin C.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 20-29
- Stroke incidence, case fatality, and mortality in the WHO MONICA project. World Health Organisation Monitoring Trends and Determinants in Cardiovascular Disease.Stroke. 1995; 26: 361-367
- Comparison of neurological scales and scoring systems for acute stroke prognosis.Stroke. 1996; 27: 1817-1820
- Reference range and method comparison studies for enzymatic and Jaffe' creatinine assay in plasma and serum and early morning urine.Clin Lab. 2000; 46: 53-55
- ESC guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases developed in collaboration with the EASD: the task force on diabetespre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and developed in collaboration with the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 3035-3087
- 2013 guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension. The Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 2159-2219
- Glomerular filtration rate in healthy living potential kidney donors: a meta-analysis supporting the construction of the full age spectrum equation.Nephron. 2017; 135: 105-119
- Association of cystatin C with mortality, cardiovascular events, and incident heart failure among persons with coronary heart disease: data from the heart and soul study.Circulation. 2007; 115: 173-179
- Cystatin C in acute heart failure without advanced renal impairment.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 566-573
- Higher cystatin C level predicts long-term mortality in patients with peripheral arterial disease.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 216: 440-445
- Method of glomerular filtration rate estimation affects prediction of mortality risk.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 2214-2222
- Association of endogenous markers of kidney function with outcomes: more and less than glomerular filtration rate.Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2013; 22: 331-335