- •The blood eosinophil count (BEC) could have some impact on asthma.
- •The relationship between BEC and asthma prognosis is still under debate.
- •The effect doesn't seem to be the same in all populations.
- •In our population less BEC is related to more exacerbations.
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- http://ginasthma.org/2017-gina-report-global-strategy-for-asthma-management-and-prevention/Date accessed: August 20, 2017
- Inflammatory and comorbid features of patients with severe asthma and frequent exacerbations.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017; 195: 302-313
- Usefulness of noninvasive methods for the study of bronchial inflammation in the control of patients with asthma.Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2015; 166: 1-12
- Biologic treatment eligibility for real-world patients with severe asthma: The IDEAL study.J Asthma. 2017; : 1-9
- Evolving concepts of asthma.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015; 192: 660-668
- Evidence that severe asthma can be divided pathologically into two inflammatory subtypes with distinct physiologic and clinical characteristics.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 160: 1001-1008
- Severe adult-onset asthma: a distinct phenotype.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013; 132: 336-341
- Asthma characteristics and biomarkers from the airways disease Endotyping for personalized therapeutics (ADEPT) longitudinal profiling study.Respir Res. 2015; 16: 142
- Importance of concomitant local and systemic eosinophilia in uncontrolled asthma.Eur Respir J. 2014 Jul; 44: 97-108
- CT-assessed large airway involvement and lung function decline in eosinophilic asthma: the association between induced sputum eosinophil differential counts and airway remodeling.J Asthma. 2016; 53: 914-921
- Blood eosinophil count and prospective annual asthma disease burden: a UK cohort study.Lancet Respir Med. 2015; 3: 849-858
- High blood eosinophil count is a risk factor for future asthma exacerbations in adult persistent asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2014; 2: 741-750
- Asthma exacerbations in a tertiary hospital: clinical features, triggers, and risk factors for hospitalization.J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2016; 0
- Blood eosinophil count is a useful biomarker to identify patients with severe eosinophilic asthma.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014; 11: 531-536
- What is an “eosinophilic phenotype” of asthma?.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013; 132: 81-83
- Cost-effectiveness of asthma therapy: a comprehensive review.J Asthma. 2015; 52: 529-537
- Effect of asthma exacerbations on health care costs among asthmatic patients with moderate and severe persistent asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012; 129: 1229-1235
- Factors associated with a higher prevalence of work disability among asthmatic patients.J Asthma. 2011; 48: 194-199
- Trends of asthma mortality in Galicia from 1993 to 2007.J Asthma. 2012 Dec; 49: 1016-1020
- Trends in adult asthma hospitalization: gender-age effect.Multidiscip Respir Med. 2011 Apr 30; 6: 82-86
- Risk factors associated with 30-day asthma readmissions.J Asthma. 2016; 53: 684-690
- The association between the quality of inpatient care and early readmission.Ann Intern Med. 1995; 122: 415-421
- Residents examine factors associated with 30-day, same-cause hospital readmissions on an internal medicine service.Am J Med Qual. 2013; 28: 492-501
- http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/Date accessed: August 15, 2017
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- http://www.ginasthma.org/local/uploads/files/GINA_Report_072007_1.pdfDate accessed: August 15, 2017
- Exhaled nitric oxide levels and blood eosinophil counts independently associate with wheeze and asthma events in National Health and nutrition examination survey subjects.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013; 132: 821-827
- High blood eosinophil count is associated with more frequent asthma attacks in asthma patients.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014; 113 (Westerhof et al (erj 2015:688)): 19-24
- Full blood count parameters for the detection of asthma inflammatory phenotypes.Clin Exp Allergy. 2014; 44: 1137-1145
- A large subgroup of mild-to-moderate asthma is persistently noneosinophilic.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012; 185: 612-619
- Biomarker surrogates do not accurately predict sputum eosinophil and neutrophil percentages in asthmatic subjects.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013; 132: 72-80
- Is a single blood eosinophil count a reliable marker for “eosinophilic asthma?”.J Asthma. 2012; 49: 807-810
- Asthma phenotypes: consistency of classification using induced sputum.Respirology. 2012; 17: 461-466
- Respiratory virus transmission dynamics determine timing of asthma exacerbation peaks: evidence from a population-level model.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016; 113: 2194-2199
- Airway inflammation and illness severity in response to experimental rhinovirus infection in asthma.Chest. 2014; 145: 1219-1229
- CIHI data quality study of the 2005e2006 discharge abstract database. Ottawa, Ontario.[Accessed 8 Aug 17])
☆Funding: This research received no specific grant from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
☆Conflict of interest: The authors have not any conflict of interest to declare.