- •In this population-based cross sectional study AS has been shown to be associated with increased risk of COPD.
- •Smoking or the underlying pro-inflammatory milieu in AS could plausibly account for this association.
- •Smoking cessation should be encouraged in AS patients, and COPD screening may be warranted.
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Associations between ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, Reiter's disease, the intestinal arthropathies, and Behcet's syndrome.Medicine. 1974; 53: 343-364
- Ankylosing spondylitis: an overview.Ann Rheum Dis. 2002; 61: iii8-18
- Inception cohorts for spondyloarthropathies.Z Rheumatol. 2000; 59: 117-121
- Disability and handicap in rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis—results from the German rheumatological database. German collaborative arthritis centers.J Rheumatol. 2000; 27: 613-622
- Prevalence of spondylarthropathies in HLA-B27 positive and negative blood donors.Arthritis Rheum. 1998; 41: 58-67
- The genetic basis of ankylosing spondylitis: new insights into disease pathogenesis.Appl Clin Genet. 2014; 7: 105-115
- Similarities and differences between nonradiographic and radiographic axial spondyloarthritis: a clinical, epidemiological and therapeutic assessment.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2014; 26: 377-383
- Cytokine gene polymorphisms relevant for the spondyloarthropathies.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2001; 13: 250-254
- Intolerance of the dirty intestine.Gut. 1999; 44: 774-775
- New criteria for inflammatory back pain in patients with chronic back pain: a real patient exercise by experts from the Assessment of SpondyloArthritis international Society (ASAS).Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 784-788
- Pulmonary manifestations of ankylosing spondylitis.Clin Chest Med. 2010; 31: 547-554
- Ankylosing spondylitis and axial spondyloarthritis.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 2563-2574
- MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 938-943
- Deaths: final data for 2008.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2011; 59: 1-126
- Environmental and genetic risk factors and gene-environment interactions in the pathogenesis of chronic obstructive lung disease.Environ Health Perspect. 2000; 108: 733-742
- Autoimmunity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: clinical and experimental evidence.Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2012; 8: 285-292
- Association between ischemic heart disease and systemic lupus erythematosus-a large case-control study.Immunol Res. Apr. 2017; 65: 459-463
- Investigating the link between ischemic heart disease and Behcet's disease: a cross-sectional analysis.Int J Cardiol. Aug. 15 2017; 241: 41-45
- Hypothyroidism among SLE patients: case-control study.Autoimmun Rev. 2016; 15: 484-486
- The risk of asthma in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: a population-based cohort study.PLoS One. 2015; 10
- Lung findings on thoracic high-resolution computed tomography in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Correlations with disease duration, clinical findings and pulmonary function testing.Clin Rheumatol. 2004; 23: 123-128
- Increased risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based cohort study.QJM. 2014; 107: 537-543
- Autoimmune smoke and fire—coexisting rheumatoid arthritis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a cross-sectional analysis.Immunol Res. 2013; 56: 261-266
- Subsequent COPD and lung cancer in patients with autoimmune disease.Eur Respir J. 2011; 37: 463-465
- Cigarette smoke induction of osteopontin (SPP1) mediates T(H)17 inflammation in human and experimental emphysema.Sci Transl Med. 2012; 4117ra9
- Th17: an effector CD4 T cell lineage with regulatory T cell ties.Immunity. 2006; 24: 677-688
- Smoke and autoimmunity: the fire behind the disease.Autoimmun Rev. 2016; 15: 354-374
- Smoking and outcome in ankylosing spondylitis.Scand J Rheumatol. 1996; 25: 138-142
- Smokers in early axial spondyloarthritis have earlier disease onset, more disease activity, inflammation and damage, and poorer function and health-related quality of life: results from the DESIR cohort.Ann Rheum Dis. 2012; 71: 809-816
- Predictors of the progression of functional disability in patients with ankylosing spondylitis.J Rheumatol. 2002; 29: 1420-1425
- Effects of tobacco smoke on immunity, inflammation and autoimmunity.J Autoimmun. 2010; 34
- Free radicals, antioxidants in disease and health.Int J Biomed Sci. 2008; 4: 89-96