- •Hyponatraemia (<130 mmol/L) predicts poor outcome in patients admitted with pneumonia.
- •Hyponatraemia is an independent risk factor for hospital mortality and ICU admission.
- •Hyponatraemia on admission is not associated with length of hospitalisation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Burden of adult community-acquired, healthcare-associated, hospital-acquired, and ventilator-associated pneumonia: New York City, 2010–2014.Chest. 2017; 152: 930-942
- The burden of illness in patients with hyponatraemia in Sweden: a population-based registry study.Int J Clin Pract. 2016; 70: 319-329
- Age and gender as risk factors for hyponatremia and hypernatremia.Clin Chim Acta. 2003; 337: 169-172
- Hyponatremia in critically ill patients.Indian J Crit Care Med. 2014; 18: 83-87
- Hyponatremia in community-acquired pneumonia.Am J Nephrol. 2007; 27: 184-190
- Hyponatremia and hospital outcomes among patients with pneumonia: a retrospective cohort study.BMC Pulm Med. 2008; 8: 16
- Epidemiology, clinical and economic outcomes of admission hyponatremia among hospitalized patients.Curr Med Res Opin. 2008; 24: 1601-1608
- Cost of illness of hyponatremia in the United States.Cost Eff Resour Alloc. 2006; 4: 10
- Economic impact of hyponatremia in hospitalized patients: a retrospective cohort study.Postgrad Med. 2009; 121: 186-191
- Cost and resource allocation issues in managing hyponatremia: the pharmacist's role.Pharmacotherapy. 2011; 31: 25S-30S
- APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system.Crit Care Med. 1985; 13: 818-829
- Hyponatremia in pneumonia.J Hosp Med. 2012; 7: S11-3
- Hyponatremia in patients with community acquired pneumonia.JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc. 2016; 54: 67-71
- Emergency medicine in Switzerland.ICU Manage Pract. 2015; 15
- Utility of quick sepsis-related organ failure assessment (qSOFA) to predict outcome in patients with pneumonia.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0188913
- Hypernatremia in the critically ill is an independent risk factor for mortality.Am J Kidney Dis. 2007; 50: 952-957
- Acquired hypernatraemia is an independent predictor of mortality in critically ill patients.Anaesthesia. 2009; 64: 514-520
- Risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia in adults: a population-based case-control study.Eur Respir J. 1999; 13: 349-355
- Diagnosis and treatment of hyponatremia: a systematic review of clinical practice guidelines and consensus statements.BMC Med. 2014; 12
- Nosocomial pneumonia: lessons learned.Crit Care Clin. 2013; 29: 521-546
- CRB-65 predicts death from community-acquired pneumonia.J Intern Med. 2006; 260: 93-101
- Hyponatremia and predictive rules for prognosis in adult patients with community-acquired pneumonia.J Infect. 2010; 60: 503-505
- Simulation study of confounder-selection strategies.Am J Epidemiol. 1993; 138: 923-936
- The impact of confounder selection criteria on effect estimation.Am J Epidemiol. 1989; 129: 125-137
- Selection of confounding variables should not be based on observed associations with exposure.Eur J Epidemiol. 2011; 26: 589-593
- Practical multivariate analysis.CRC Press, 2011
- Variable selection with stepwise and best subset approaches.Ann Transl Med. 2016; 4: 136
- A prediction rule to identify low-risk patients with community-acquired pneumonia.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 243-250
- Quality of reporting of multivariable logistic regression models in Chinese clinical medical journals.Medicine. 2017; 96: e6972
- ICU admission and severity assessment in community-acquired pneumonia.Crit Care. 2009; 13: 156