- •The prevalence of the ATP III-MetS is lower than that of the Asian-MetS.
- •Both MetS scores are strong risk factors for arterial stiffness and diabetes.
- •The performance of both MetS scores for arterial stiffness is similar.
- •The performance of both MetS scores for risk of diabetes is similar.
Abbreviations:ABI (ankle-brachial-index), ASCVD (atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease), ATP III/AHA/NHLBI (Adult Treatment Panel III by the American Heart Association and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute), AUC-ROC (areas under receiver operator characteristic curves), baPWV (brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity), HDL-C (high-density lipoprotein cholesterol), IDF (International Diabetes Federation), MetS (metabolic syndrome), SBP (systolic blood pressure), WC (waist circumferences)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Metabolic syndrome pandemic.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008; 28: 629-636
- Health effects of overweight and obesity in 195 countries over 25 years.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 13-27
- Role of insulin resistance in human disease.Diabetes. 1988; 37: 1595-1607
- Definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association conference on scientific issues related to definition.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004; 24: e13-18
- The metabolic syndrome.Endocr Rev. 2008; 29: 777-822
- The metabolic syndrome.Lancet. 2010; 375: 181-183
- Definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association conference on scientific issues related to definition.Circulation. 2004; 109: 433-438
- First nationwide study of the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and optimal cutoff points of waist circumference in the Middle East: the national survey of risk factors for noncommunicable diseases of Iran.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 1092-1097
- Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement.Circulation. 2005; 112: 2735-2752
- The metabolic syndrome-a new worldwide definition.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1059
- Metabolic syndrome and its components among rheumatoid arthritis patients: a comprehensive updated systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0170361
- International Diabetes Federation Task Force on E, Prevention, Hational Heart L, Blood I, American Heart A, World Heart F, International Atherosclerosis S, International Association for the Study of O Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association; World Heart Federation; International Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the Study of Obesity.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1640-1645
- High brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity is an independent predictor of the presence of coronary artery disease in men.Hypertens Res. 2004; 27: 71-78
- Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity predicts all-cause mortality in the general population: findings from the Takashima study, Japan.Hypertens Res. 2010; 33: 922-925
- Aortic pulse-wave velocity and its relationship to mortality in diabetes and glucose intolerance: an integrated index of vascular function?.Circulation. 2002; 106: 2085-2090
- Metabolic syndrome and its components in relation to brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity in middle-aged Taiwanese males.Open Med. 2007; 2: 458-469
- Classification and diagnosis of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: S11-S24
- Type 2 diabetes prevalence and incidence among adults in Taiwan during 1999–2004: a national health insurance data set study.Diabet Med. 2010; 27: 636-643
- Metabolic syndrome-associated risk factors and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein independently predict arterial stiffness in 9903 subjects with and without chronic kidney disease.Medicine. 2015; 94e1419
- Vital roles of age and metabolic syndrome-associated risk factors in sex-specific arterial stiffness across nearly lifelong ages: possible implication of menopause and andropause.Atherosclerosis. 2017; 258: 26-33
- Index for rating diagnostic tests.Cancer. 1950; 3: 32-35
- Prevalence of obesity and metabolic syndrome in Taiwan.J Formos Med Assoc. 2006; 105: 626-635
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and overweight among adults in China.Lancet. 2005; 365: 1398-1405
- Hong Kong cardiovascular risk factor prevalence study steering C. The US National Cholesterol Education Programme Adult Treatment Panel III (NCEP ATP III) prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in a Chinese population.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2005; 67: 251-257
- Metabolic syndrome among adults in China: the 2010 China noncommunicable disease surveillance.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 102: 507-515
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome defined by the international diabetes federation among adults in the US.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 2745-2749
- Can we apply the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel definition of the metabolic syndrome to Asians?.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1182-1186
- A proposal for the cutoff point of waist circumference for the diagnosis of metabolic syndrome in the Japanese population.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 1123-1124
- The importance of waist circumference in the definition of metabolic syndrome.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 404-409