- •Frailty recognition in the elderly can address patient-centered care pathways.
- •Its prevalence can be four time higher among patients with atrial fibrillation(AF).
- •Its assessment may influence the way oral anticoagulation is prescribed.
- •Its presence is an important prognostic indicator among patients with AF.
- •Its recognition is mandatory to provide the best treatment among AF patients.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Frailty and the older man.Med Clin North Am. 1999; 83: 1173-1194
- Epidemiology of aging.Radiol Clin North Am. 2008; 46 (v): 643-652
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-56
- Validation and comparison of two frailty indexes: the MOBILIZE Boston study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 1532https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2009.02394.x
- Phenotype of frailty: characterization in the women's health and aging studies.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006; 61: 262-266
- Frailty in older men: prevalence, progression, and relationship with mortality.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 1216-1223https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2007.01259.x
- Frailty in elderly people.Lancet (London, England). 2013; 381: 752-762https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62167-9
- Frailty predicts long-term mortality in elderly subjects with chronic heart failure.Eur J Clin Invest. 2005; 35: 723-730https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2362.2005.01572.x
- Frailty and risk for heart failure in older adults: the health, aging, and body composition study.Am Heart J. 2013; 166: 887-894https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2013.07.032
- Association of long-distance corridor walk performance with mortality, cardiovascular disease, mobility limitation, and disability.JAMA. 2006; 295: 2018-2026https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.17.2018
- Frailty assessment in the cardiovascular care of older adults.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 747-762https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2013.09.070
- Redefining geriatric preoperative assessment using frailty, disability and co-morbidity.Ann Surg. 2009; 250: 449-455https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181b45598
- When we should say no to TAVR-defining the line between utility and futility.Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2016; 17: 424-427https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carrev.2016.05.009
- The effects of frailty in patients undergoing elective cardiac surgery.J Card Surg. 2016; 31: 187-194https://doi.org/10.1111/jocs.12699
- Increasing prevalence of atrial fibrillation and flutter in the United States.Am J Cardiol. 2009; 104: 1534-1539https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2009.07.022
- Prevalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults: national implications for rhythm management and stroke prevention: the AnTicoagulation and risk factors in atrial fibrillation (ATRIA) study.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2370-2375
- Prevalence, incidence and lifetime risk of atrial fibrillation: the Rotterdam study.Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 949-953https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehi825
- Epidemiology and natural history of atrial fibrillation: clinical implications.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001; 37: 371-378
- Factors affecting adherence to guidelines for antithrombotic therapy in elderly patients with atrial fibrillation admitted to internal medicine wards.Eur J Intern Med. 2010; 21: 516-523https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2010.07.014
- Stroke, bleeding, and mortality risks in elderly Medicare beneficiaries treated with dabigatran or rivaroxaban for Nonvalvular atrial fibrillation.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1662-1671https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.5954
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000097https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000097
- The impact of frailty on mortality, length of stay and re-hospitalisation in older patients with atrial fibrillation.Heart Lung Circ. 2016; 25: 551-557https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2015.12.002
- Atrial fibrillation in older inpatients: are there any differences in clinical characteristics and pharmacological treatment between the frail and the non-frail?.Intern Med J. 2016; 46: 86-95https://doi.org/10.1111/imj.12912
- Validity and reliability of the Edmonton frail scale.Age Ageing. 2006; 35: 526-529https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afl041
- Real-world characteristics of hospitalized frail elderly patients with atrial fibrillation: can we improve the current prescription of anticoagulants?.J Geriatr Cardiol. 2016; 13: 226-232https://doi.org/10.11909/j.issn.1671-5411.2016.03.010
- Cardiovascular dysfunction and frailty among older adults in the community: the ARIC study.J Gerontol Ser A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016; 72glw199https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glw199
- Frailty in older persons: multisystem risk factors and the frailty risk index (FRI).J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 635-642https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2014.03.008
- Frailty in patients affected by atrial fibrillation.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2013; 57: 325-327https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2013.04.014
- The impact of frailty on the utilisation of antithrombotic therapy in older patients with atrial fibrillation.Age Ageing. 2009; 38: 156-162https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afn293
- Associations of subclinical cardiovascular disease with frailty.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M158-66
- Echocardiographic indices associated with frailty in adults ≥65 years.Am J Cardiol. 2015; 116: 1591-1595https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2015.08.023
- Frailty predictors and outcomes among older patients with cardiovascular disease: data from Fragicor.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2015; 61: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2015.03.001
- Older age and a higher EHRA score allow higher levels of frailty syndrome to be predicted in patients with atrial fibrillation.Aging Male. 2017; 20: 23-27https://doi.org/10.1080/13685538.2016.1241761
- Frailty and drug use.J Frailty Aging. 2016; 5: 100-103https://doi.org/10.14283/jfa.2016.84
- Best practices for drug prescribing in older adults: acall for action.Drugs Aging. 2015; 32: 887-890https://doi.org/10.1007/s40266-015-0324-3
- Guidelines, polypharmacy, and drug-drug interactions in patients with multimorbidity.BMJ. 2015; 350h1059
- Effects of oral anticoagulant therapy in older medical in-patients with atrial fibrillation: a prospective cohort observational study.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2017; 29: 491-497https://doi.org/10.1007/s40520-016-0569-7
- Clinical frailty is independently associated with non-prescription of anticoagulants in older patients with atrial fibrillation.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2017; : 1-6https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.13058
- Clinical implication of frailty assessment in older patients with atrial fibrillation.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2017; 70: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2016.12.001
- The impact of frailty on coagulation and responses to warfarin in acute older hospitalised patients with atrial fibrillation: a pilot study.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2017; 0: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1007/s40520-017-0733-8