- •AKI following influenza infection is not uncommon in the older population.
- •Vaccination rate remains below the recommended goal worldwide, especially in Asia.
- •The risk of AKI was 37% lower among older people who received influenza vaccine.
- •The results remained consistent in different subgroups.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Mortality associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States.JAMA. 2003; 289: 179-186
- Influenza-associated hospitalizations in the United States.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1333-1340
- Influenza vaccination and reduction in hospitalizations for cardiac disease and stroke among the elderly.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 1322-1332
- The impact of influenza vaccination on hospitalizations and mortality among frail older people.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 256-260
- Renal complications of seasonal and pandemic influenza A virus infections.Eur J Pediatr. 2013; 172: 15-22
- Seasonal influenza vaccine provision in 157 countries (2004-2009) and the potential influence of national public health policies.Vaccine. 2011; 29: 9459-9466
- Risks of death and stroke in patients undergoing hemodialysis with new-onset atrial fibrillation: a competing-risk analysis of a Nationwide cohort.Circulation. 2016; 133: 265-272
- Effects on clinical outcomes of adding dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors versus sulfonylureas to metformin therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 663-672
- Long-term clinical outcome of major adverse cardiac events in survivors of infective endocarditis: a nationwide population-based study.Circulation. 2014; 130: 1684-1691
- Long-term risk of coronary events after AKI.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 25: 595-605
- Validation of the National Health Insurance Research Database with ischemic stroke cases in Taiwan.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011; 20: 236-242
- Threat-responsiveness and the decision to obtain free influenza vaccinations among the older adults in Taiwan.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 275
- Pandemic 2009 influenza a in Argentina: a study of 337 patients on mechanical ventilation.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010; 182: 41-48
- Characteristics of acute kidney injury in patients infected with the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 1916-1921
- Acute kidney injury in critically ill patients infected with 2009 pandemic influenza A(H1N1): report from a Canadian Province.Am J Kidney Dis. 2010; 55: 848-855
- Acute myocardial infarction and influenza: a meta-analysis of case-control studies.Heart. 2015; 101: 1738-1747
- Oral antiplatelet agents and chronic kidney disease.Hellenic J Cardiol. 2011; 52: 509-515
- Association between influenza vaccination and cardiovascular outcomes in high-risk patients: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1711-1720
- Mortality benefits of influenza vaccination in elderly people: an ongoing controversy.Lancet Infect Dis. 2007; 7: 658-666
- Efficacy of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccine in older adults.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 635-645
- Membranous nephropathy and severe acute kidney injury following influenza vaccination.Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2015; 26: 1289-1293
- Influenza vaccination induced leukocytoclastic vasculitis and pauci-immune crescentic glomerulonephritis.Clin Nephrol. 2002; 58: 220-223
- Influenza vaccine-induced rhabdomyolysis leading to acute renal transplant dysfunction.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006; 21: 530-531
- Rhabdomyolysis secondary to influenza A H1N1 vaccine resulting in acute kidney injury.Travel Med Infect Dis. 2013; 11: 130-133
- Inflammation in AKI: current understanding, key questions, and knowledge gaps.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 27: 371-379
- A combined cardiorenal assessment for the prediction of acute kidney injury in lower respiratory tract infections.Am J Med. 2012; 125: 168-175
- Diagnostic value of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin, cystatin C, and soluble triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells-1 in critically ill patients with sepsis-associated acute kidney injury.Crit Care. 2015; 19: 223
- Mapping the innate signaling cascade essential for cytokine storm during influenza virus infection.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111: 3799-3804
- Influenza vaccine as prevention for cardiovascular diseases: possible molecular mechanism.Vaccine. 2014; 32: 6569-6575
- Kallikrein-kinin in stroke, cardiovascular and renal disease.Exp Physiol. 2005; 90: 291-298
- The inflammatory response triggered by influenza virus: a two edged sword.Inflamm Res. 2017; 66: 283-302
☆The Corresponding Author has the right to grant on behalf of all authors, and does grant on behalf of all authors, a worldwide license to the publishers and its licensees in perpetuity.