- •Temporal changes have been found in atrial fibrillation (AF) epidemiology.
- •AF patients re becoming older and more burdened with comorbidities
- •Use of oral anticoagulant (OAC) drugs increased over the last decade in Europe.
- •OAC use is associated with a reduction in thromboembolic and cardiovascular events.
- •Despite the increased OAC use, a high risk of cardiovascular death still persists.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- 2016 ESC guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with EACTS.Europace. 2016; 18: 1609-1678https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/euw295
- Worldwide epidemiology of atrial fibrillation: a global burden of disease 2010 study.Circulation. 2014; 129: 837-847https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.113.005119
- Atrial fibrillation and risks of cardiovascular disease, renal disease, and death: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2016; 354i4482
- National trends in atrial fibrillation hospitalization, readmission, and mortality for medicare beneficiaries, 1999-2013.Circulation. 2017; 135: 1999-2013https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.116.022388
- Registries in atrial fibrillation: from trials to real-life clinical practice.Am J Med. 2017; 130: 135-145https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2016.09.012
- Atrial fibrillation management: a prospective survey in ESC member countries: the Euro Heart Survey on Atrial Fibrillation.Eur Heart J. 2005; 26: 2422-2434https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehi505
- A prospective survey in European Society of Cardiology member countries of atrial fibrillation management: baseline results of EURObservational research Programme atrial fibrillation (EORP-AF) pilot general registry.Europace. 2014; 16: 308-319https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/eut373
- Prognosis and treatment of atrial fibrillation patients by European cardiologists: one year follow-up of the EURObservational research programme-atrial fibrillation general registry pilot phase (EORP-AF pilot registry).Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 3365-3376https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehu374
- “Real-world” atrial fibrillation management in Europe: observations from the 2-year follow-up of the EURObservational research programme-atrial fibrillation general registry pilot phase.Europace. 2017; 19: 722-733https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/euw112
- Prognosis, disease progression, and treatment of atrial fibrillation patients during 1 year: follow-up of the euro heart survey on atrial fibrillation.Eur Heart J. 2008; 29: 1181https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehn139
- Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the euro heart survey on atrial fibrillation.Chest. 2010; 137: 263-272https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.09-1584
- Age as a risk factor for stroke in atrial fibrillation patients: implications for thromboprophylaxis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56: 827-837https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2010.05.028
- Causes of death and influencing factors in patients with atrial fibrillation.Am J Med. 2016; 129: 1278-1287https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2016.06.045
- Polypharmacy and major adverse events in atrial fibrillation: observations from the AFFIRM trial.Clin Res Cardiol. 2016; 105: 412-420https://doi.org/10.1007/s00392-015-0936-y
- Polypharmacy and effects of apixaban versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation: post hoc analysis of the ARISTOTLE trial.BMJ. 2016; 353i2868
- The impact of atherosclerotic vascular disease in predicting a stroke, thromboembolism and mortality in atrial fibrillation patients: a systematic review.J Thromb Haemost. 2013; 11: 975-987https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.12177
- Ankle-brachial index and cardiovascular events in atrial fibrillation: the ARAPACIS study.Thromb Haemost. 2016; 115: 856-863https://doi.org/10.1160/TH15-07-0612
- Evolving antithrombotic treatment patterns for patients with newly diagnosed atrial fibrillation.Heart. 2017; 103: 307-314https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2016-309832
- Increased use of oral anticoagulants in patients with atrial fibrillation: temporal trends from 2005 to 2015 in Denmark.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 899-906https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehw658
- Integrated care in atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Heart. 2017; heartjnl-2016-310952https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2016-310952
- The ABC pathway: an integrated approach to improve AF management.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1038/nrcardio.2017.153