- •Significant mitral regurgitation has a high prevalence in octogenarian patients with severe symptomatic aortic stenosis.
- •Mitral regurgitation is independently associated with the decision to treat conservatively in this population.
- •Mitral regurgitation was a significant independent predictor of overall mortality at 12-month follow-up.
Abbreviations:AS (Aortic stenosis), MR (Mitral regurgitation), AVR (aortic valve replacement surgery), TAVI (Transcatheter aortic valve implantation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- 2017 ESC/EACTS Guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 2739-2791
- 2017 AHA/ACC focused update of the 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the Management of Patients with Valvular Heart Disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 70: 252-289
- Risk stratification of patients with aortic stenosis.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 416-423
- Prevalence of calcific aortic valve disease in the elderly and associated risk factors: a population-based study in a Mediterranean area.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2013; 20: 1022-1030
- Prospective registry of symptomatic severe aortic stenosis in octogenarians: a need for intervention.J Intern Med. 2014; 275: 608-620
- Incidence, associated factors and evolution of non-severe functional mitral regurgitation in patients with severe aortic stenosis undergoing aortic valve replacement.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008; 34: 62-66
- Aortic valve replacement for aortic stenosis in patients with concomitant mitral regurgitation: should the mitral valve be dealt with?.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2011; 40: 1087-1096
- Impact of preoperative moderate/severe mitral regurgitation on 2-year outcome after transcatheter and surgical aortic valve replacement: insight from the Placement of Aortic Transcatheter Valve (PARTNER) Trial Cohort A.Circulation. 2013; 128: 2776-2784
- The 2011-12 pilot European sentinel registry of transcatheter aortic valve implantation: in-hospital results in 4,571 patients.EuroIntervention. 2013; 8: 1362-1371
- In-hospital and mid-term predictors of mortality after transcatheter aortic valve implantation: data from the TAVI National Registry 2010-2011.Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed). 2013; 66: 949-958
- Aortic valve replacement and concomitant mitral valve regurgitation in the elderly: impact on survival and functional outcome.Circulation. 2005; 112: I443-I447
- Meta-analysis of mortality outcomes and mitral regurgitation evolution in 4,839 patients having transcatheter aortic valve implantation for severe aortic stenosis.Am J Cardiol. 2014; 114: 875-882
- Significant mitral regurgitation left untreated at the time of aortic valve replacement: a comprehensive review of a frequent entity in the transcatheter aortic valve replacement era.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2643-2658
- European Association of Echocardiography recommendations for the assessment of valvular regurgitation. Part 2: mitral and tricuspid regurgitation (native valve disease).Eur J Echocardiogr. 2010; 11: 307-332
- Management of moderate secondary mitral regurgitation at the time of aortic valve surgery.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013; 44: 32-40
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation for the treatment of severe symptomatic aortic stenosis in patients at very high or prohibitive surgical risk: acute and late outcomes of the multicenter Canadian experience.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1080-1090
- Transcatheter aortic-valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients who cannot undergo surgery.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1597-1607
- Transcatheter versus surgical aortic-valve replacement in high-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2187-2198
- Registry of transcatheter aortic-valve implantation in high-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1705-1715
- Predictors of one-year mortality after transcatheter aortic valve implantation for severe symptomatic aortic stenosis.Am J Cardiol. 2013; 112: 272-279
- Interplay between mitral regurgitation and transcatheter aortic valve replacement with the CoreValve Revalving System: a multicenter registry.Circulation. 2013; 128: 2145-2153
- Comorbidity and intervention in octogenarians with severe symptomatic aortic stenosis.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 189: 61-66
- Pulmonary hypertension in mitral regurgitation.J Am Heart Assoc. 2014; 3
- Evidence of atrial functional mitral regurgitation due to atrial fibrillation: reversal with arrhythmia control.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 58: 1474-1481
- Role of ventricular rate response on dementia in cognitively impaired elderly subjects with atrial fibrillation: a 10-year study.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2012; 34: 143-148
- Management of multiple valve disease.Heart. 2011; 97: 272-277
- Mitral regurgitation in patients with aortic stenosis undergoing valve replacement.Heart. 2010; 96: 9-14
- Effect of aortic valve replacement for aortic stenosis on severity of mitral regurgitation.Am J Cardiol. 1990; 65: 1219-1221
- Improvement in mitral regurgitation after aortic valve replacement.Am J Cardiol. 1997; 80: 741-745
- Does moderate mitral regurgitation impact early or mid-term clinical outcome in patients undergoing isolated aortic valve replacement for aortic stenosis?.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2003; 24: 217-222
- Management of moderate functional mitral regurgitation at the time of aortic valve replacement: is concomitant mitral valve repair necessary?.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 137: 635-640
- Does functional mitral regurgitation improve with isolated aortic valve replacement?.J Card Surg. 2004; 19: 444-448
- Natural history and predictors of outcome in patients with concomitant functional mitral regurgitation at the time of aortic valve replacement.Circulation. 2006; 114: I541-I546
- Clinical impact and evolution of mitral regurgitation following transcatheter aortic valve replacement: a meta-analysis.Heart. 2015; 101: 1395-1405
- Meta-analysis of the impact of mitral regurgitation on outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Am J Cardiol. 2015; 115: 942-949
- Independent prognostic value of functional mitral regurgitation in patients with heart failure. A quantitative analysis of 1256 patients with ischaemic and non-ischaemic dilated cardiomyopathy.Heart. 2011; 97: 1675-1680
- Association between early surgical intervention vs watchful waiting and outcomes for mitral regurgitation due to flail mitral valve leaflets.JAMA. 2013; 310: 609-616
- Prognostic impact of moderate or severe mitral regurgitation (MR) irrespective of concomitant comorbidities: a retrospective matched cohort study.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e004984
- Successful dual-valve transcatheter therapy for severe aortic stenosis and mitral regurgitation.Int J Cardiol. 2012; 157: e35-e37
☆All authors take responsibility for all aspects of the reliability and freedom from bias of the data presented and their discussed interpretation.