- •Treatments for PAH approved in EU are not disease-modifying therapies.
- •Compared to placebo treatments for PAH as a whole reduce mortality.
- •No specific drug or class of medicines but prostanoids proved effective in itself.
- •Combinations provide no longer survival than monotherapies.
- •Drug approvals in spite of poor evidence can harm patient and hamper further R&D.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).(Date last updated January 2018. Date last accessed March 2018)
- 2015 ESC/ERS guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension: the joint task force for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS): endorsed by: Association for European Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology (AEPC), International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT).Eur. Heart J. 2016; 37: 67-119
- Pulmonary hypertension: diagnosis and management.BMJ. 2013; 346f2028
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension.http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/Disease_Search.php?lng=EN&data_id=18210&Disease_Disease_Search_diseaseGroup=pulmonary-hypertension&Disease_Disease_Search_diseaseType=Pat&Disease(s)/group%20of%20diseases=Pulmonary-arterial-hypertension&title=Pulmonary-arterial-hypertension&search=Disease_Search_Simple(Date last updated January 2015. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Combination therapy versus monotherapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension: a meta-analysis.Lancet Respir. Med. 2016; 4: 291-305
- European Medicines Agency.http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages%2Fmedicines%2Flanding%2Fepar_search.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058001d124&searchTab=&alreadyLoaded=true&isNewQuery=true&status=Authorised&status=Withdrawn&status=Suspended&status=Refused&keyword=Enter+keywords&searchType=name&taxonomyPath=Diseases.Respiratory+Tract+Diseases.Lung+Diseases&treeNumber=¤tCategory=Hypertension%2C+Pulmonary&searchGenericType=generics(Date last updated March 2018 Date last accessed March 2018)
- Ambrisentan, European public assessment report.http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Public_assessment_report/human/000839/WC500053063.pdf(Date last updated April 2008. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Bosentan, European public assessment report.http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Scientific_Discussion/human/000401/WC500041457.pdf(Date last updated October 2005. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Riociguat, European public assessment report.http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Public_assessment_report/human/002737/WC500165036.pdf(Date last updated April 2014. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Iloprost, European public assessment report.http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Scientific_Discussion/human/000474/WC500048688.pdf(Date last updated October 2005. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Macitentan, European public assessment report.http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Public_assessment_report/human/002697/WC500160900.pdf(Date last updated February 2014. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Sildenafil, European public assessment report.http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Scientific_Discussion/human/000638/WC500055837.pdf(Date last updated October 2006. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Selexipag, European public assessment report.http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Public_assessment_report/human/003774/WC500207175.pdf(Date last updated May 2016. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Sitaxentan, European public assessment report.http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Summary_for_the_public/human/000679/WC500037843.pdf(Date last updated April 2007. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Ambrisentan for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension: results of the ambrisentan in pulmonary arterial hypertension, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter, efficacy (ARIES) study 1 and 2.Circulation. 2008; 117: 3010-3019
- Effects of the dual endothelin-receptor antagonist bosentan in patients with pulmonary hypertension: a randomised placebo-controlled study.Lancet. 2001; 358: 1119-1123
- Inhaled iloprost for severe pulmonary hypertension.N. Engl. J. Med. 2002; 347: 322-329
- Macitentan and morbidity and mortality in pulmonary arterial hypertension.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 369: 809-818
- Low-dose nitric oxide therapy for persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. Clinical inhaled nitric oxide research group.N. Engl. J. Med. 2000; 342: 469-474
- Riociguat for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 369: 330-340
- Selexipag for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 373: 2522-2533
- Sildenafil citrate therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension.N. Engl. J. Med. 2005; 353: 2148-2157
- Tadalafil therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension.Circulation. 2009; 119: 2894-2903
- Tadalafil, European public assessment report.http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Public_assessment_report/human/001021/WC500032788.pdf(Date last updated October 2008. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Survival in patients with primary pulmonary hypertension. Results from a national prospective registry.Ann. Intern. Med. 1991; 115: 343-349
- The evolving classification of pulmonary hypertension.Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 2017; 141: 696-703
- Pharmacotherapy in pulmonary arterial hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Respir. Res. 2010; 11: 12
- Assessment of pulmonary artery pressure by echocardiography —a comprehensive review.IJC Heart Vascul. 2016; 12: 45-51
- Characterization of brain natriuretic peptide in long-term follow-up of pulmonary arterial hypertension.Chest. 2005 Oct; 128: 2368-2374
- A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in pulmonary arterial hypertension.Eur. Heart J. 2009; 30: 394-403
- How can we regulate medicines better?.BMJ. 2007; 335: 803-805
- Efficacy and safety of pulmonary arterial hypertension-specific therapy in pulmonary arterial hypertension: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Chest. 2016; 150: 353-366
- A comparison of continuous intravenous epoprostenol (prostacyclin) with conventional therapy for primary pulmonary hypertension.N. Engl. J. Med. 1996 Feb 1; 334: 296-301
- WMA Declaration of Helsinki – Ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. 64th WMA General Assembly F, Brazil, October 2013.(Available at:)https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-declaration-of-helsinki-ethical-principles-for-medical-research-involving-human-subjects/(Date last updated March 2017. Date last accessed March 2018)
- Combination therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Can. J. Cardiol. 2016; 32: 1520-1530
- Initial use of Ambrisentan plus Tadalafil in pulmonary arterial hypertension.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 373: 834-844
- The Efficacy and Safety of Initial Triple Versus Initial Dual Oral Combination Therapy in Patients With Newly Diagnosed Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (TRITON).(last access May 2018)
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension: epidemiology and registries.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013; 62: D51-D59
- Five-year outcomes of patients enrolled in the REVEAL registry.Chest. 2015; 148: 1043-1054
- The Giessen pulmonary hypertension registry: survival in pulmonary hypertension subgroups.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2017; 36: 957-967
- The REVEAL registry risk score calculator in patients newly diagnosed with pulmonary arterial hypertension.Chest. 2012; 141: 354-362
- Update on the European respiratory review.Eur. Respir. J. 2010; 36: 993-994
- Survival in patients with idiopathic, familial, and anorexigen-associated pulmonary arterial hypertension in the modern management era.Circulation. 2010; 122: 156-163
- Approvals of drugs with uncertain benefit-risk profiles in Europe.Eur. J. Intern. Med. 2015; 26: 572-584
- Letting post-marketing bridge the evidence gap: the case of orphan drugs.BMJ. 2016; 353: i2978